• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, stage 11: Avranches - Mont-Saint-Michelle 33km (ITT)

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The winner of the stage will be...

• Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
wwabbit said:
Just as well I don't have a favorite rider then.

You are being disrespectful to all the other riders in the race. Not every rider is capable of winning the Tour de France, most of them have their own targets depending on their own capabilities and that target doesn't necessarily have to be the first position. Many riders will be elated to be in the Top 10 and it is completely disrespectful to call them losers - they certain won't be feeling like losers.

Valverde has previously stated that he was targeting a podium spot in this Tour, so 2nd would be a very good result that he will be very happy with since it is one better than what he has targeted. For sure we will see him try to defend his 2nd position.

Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that he has given up all hope for 1st position. If Froome shows some signs of weakness, he will certainly try to take advantage. However, if anyone threatens his second place position, e.g. sending Kreuziger, Contador, Ten Dam or Mollema on the attack, you can be certain he will be getting Quintana and Costa to chase down the move if Sky doesn't. In all likelihood, such attacks will threaten his position more than it threaten Froome's.

You know what the funny thing is. Froome will never be threatened if people keep defending their place in gc. Alberto will attack, absolutely, because he is a winner. Movistar will chase him though. So yea that way first place is definitely out of reach.

LaFlorecita said:
You know what the funny thing is. Froome will never be threatened if people keep defending their place in gc. Alberto will attack, absolutely, because he is a winner. Movistar will chase him though. So yea that way first place is definitely out of reach.

I saw it happened during 7 years with the Texan. I used to get pi$$ed off but there is nothing you can do about it. There are too many agendas for the different teams and everybody is defending their interests. In today's Sports culture the increasing amount of pressure to show some results and not to be left out is huge. I saw it happened with Soccer over the last 20-25 years. Too much money involved, too many stakes. Soccer isn't what is used to be in the past. And neither is cycling. It used to be more open before. Now coaches get on their radios to chop off the wings of somebody because of other interests. Teams get very defensive of their positions in sports. In that respect Froome is in the driver seat.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
They shouldn't care about second. Win or lose. Do everything you can to win. What does it matter if you finish 2nd or 20th?

Of course I could reverse your point and say they are not obliged to do what you want either. Cycling doesn't revolve around you nor does it revolve around your favorite rider. It revolves around winning so top 10 should all fight for the win. Not for 2nd place. 2nd place is for losers.

Most definitely agree. 2nd, while it is a good placing, is no 1st. And if your in second it just means you have a shorter gap to traverse to get to first then any other guy in the top 10. Many riders won't do it, but one should always strive to go one better instead of just being content with where they are.