• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour de France, stage 11: Avranches - Mont-Saint-Michelle 33km (ITT)

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The winner of the stage will be...

• Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
All I'm saying he would've been the 2013 TdF winner.

Haha, liquid gold comments.

From Nibali numbers from Giro, he had numbers below what Froome had at the Tour last year, he himself improved from his Tour, but not to Froome level of last year.

So figure this one out genius..

Gloin22 said:
Haha, liquid gold comments.

From Nibali numbers from Giro, he had numbers below what Froome had at the Tour last year, he himself improved from his Tour, but not to Froome level of last year.

So figure this one out genius..
There you go, the Tour has NOT finished. So I stand tall from what I said before the Tour started. Satisfied now? ;)

jens_attacks said:
well if no one will up their game in the 3rd week it will be downright pathetic by the others,spanish and dutch mainly who seem to ride cyclotourist mode so far in this tour(purito and alberto mostly,the dutch are ok). if i'd be one of them i'd go full throttle, and do crazy things to drop the skyborgs. i would have nothing to lose, even if they would throw me out from results or something, the bad image won't fall only on me. fucc them, time to go ballistic in the alpes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nCijUZvvESc#t=1777s

Jens you don't understand it. Valverde will never attack. Contador is in **** shape. Mollema will be happy with a podium. You may want them to attack but the truth is they can't or won't because they know it's useless.

LaFlorecita said:
Jens you don't understand it. Valverde will never attack. Contador is in **** shape. Mollema will be happy with a podium. You may want them to attack but the truth is they can't or won't because they know it's useless.

I'm not sure you fully understand Jens post or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

jens_attacks said:
well if no one will up their game in the 3rd week it will be downright pathetic by the others,spanish and dutch mainly who seem to ride cyclotourist mode so far in this tour(purito and alberto mostly,the dutch are ok). if i'd be one of them i'd go full throttle, and do crazy things to drop the skyborgs. i would have nothing to lose, even if they would throw me out from results or something, the bad image won't fall only on me. fucc them, time to go ballistic in the alpes

:D JensA for the win.

Gugashwill

BANNED
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
jens_attacks said:

Actually, a fully charged rider, with GC pedigree, being thwarted by Sky in his suicidal attempt could save this Tour.
It would be very simple equation even for the governing bodies.

I'm very sorry for clinical insinuation, but the original post has set the discourse.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Recent history has shown that when its close for podium spots riders will try and save what they have, or does everyone forget the "contenders" doing essentially track stands on the way too the Stelvio last year when Ryder Hesjadal was panicked and alone?

LaFlorecita said:
No it would be silly. They need to attack sky not each other.

Only to satisfy your desires to see Sky fail. Unfortunately, the world of cycling doesn't revolve around you, so it is more likely that the teams will be fighting to achieve what they can realistically achieve. They are not obliged to do what you want them to do.

A pretty nice shot of the key element of the stage:

003-PIC382409266.jpg

Of course it would be even better if they removed some of the modern garbage in the foreground, but magnificent nevertheless.

wwabbit said:
Only to satisfy your desires to see Sky fail. Unfortunately, the world of cycling doesn't revolve around you, so it is more likely that the teams will be fighting to achieve what they can realistically achieve. They are not obliged to do what you want them to do.

They shouldn't care about second. Win or lose. Do everything you can to win. What does it matter if you finish 2nd or 20th?

Of course I could reverse your point and say they are not obliged to do what you want either. Cycling doesn't revolve around you nor does it revolve around your favorite rider. It revolves around winning so top 10 should all fight for the win. Not for 2nd place. 2nd place is for losers.

Just as well I don't have a favorite rider then.

You are being disrespectful to all the other riders in the race. Not every rider is capable of winning the Tour de France, most of them have their own targets depending on their own capabilities and that target doesn't necessarily have to be the first position. Many riders will be elated to be in the Top 10 and it is completely disrespectful to call them losers - they certain won't be feeling like losers.

Valverde has previously stated that he was targeting a podium spot in this Tour, so 2nd would be a very good result that he will be very happy with since it is one better than what he has targeted. For sure we will see him try to defend his 2nd position.

Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that he has given up all hope for 1st position. If Froome shows some signs of weakness, he will certainly try to take advantage. However, if anyone threatens his second place position, e.g. sending Kreuziger, Contador, Ten Dam or Mollema on the attack, you can be certain he will be getting Quintana and Costa to chase down the move if Sky doesn't. In all likelihood, such attacks will threaten his position more than it threaten Froome's.

LaFlorecita said:
They shouldn't care about second. Win or lose. Do everything you can to win. What does it matter if you finish 2nd or 20th?

Of course I could reverse your point and say they are not obliged to do what you want either. Cycling doesn't revolve around you nor does it revolve around your favorite rider. It revolves around winning so top 10 should all fight for the win. Not for 2nd place. 2nd place is for losers.

I agree with you, that that's what it should be.

But the reality is simply, that there's a lot of money in taking 2nd place in the Tour de France, or even 5th of 7th, and riders would be risking a lot putting a safe top10 in danger for a dubious chance of winning in a daring attack. Especially riders who don't already have established a name for themselves like Valverde or Schleck.