• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Tour of Oman (11th-16th February), 2.HC

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
just like he did in 2011 and 2012 . . . . oh wait

When was it useful in 2012? Milan-sanremo? A good team wouldn't have helped him there.

In 2011, ok for paris-roubaix he could use a good team there for sure but i don't know about RVV. If he didn't get cramps, he would have prob won it anyways.

Besides Canc showed many times he doesn't need a good team to win a big race which was my original point.

Using 2012 is quite unfair (as Miburo mentions) as he crashed out of RvV and therefore couldn't even participate in P-R. We'll never know if he had won those races. Of course he, as well as anyone, could benefit from a stronger team, but he has proven before that he is capable of winning without.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Boonen could've won the Ronde in 2010 if he didn't cramp up. :eek:

You do realize Cancellara cramped up because Chavanel, Boonen's team-mate, didn't take a single turn on the front?

He made the same mistake in 2007. And again at the 2009 WC where he was also isolated. 2011 Ronde and Roubaix are again obvious examples as is MSR 2012. At least Gerrans and Nibali could play the Goss and Sagan card respectively.

In 2010 he had a super strong team and for some reason was not marked by anyone but Boonen. In 2006 he would've won either way because of the train incident.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You are more likely to get cramps if someone is slipstreaming behind you then if they arent? Wow, didnt know that, thanks doc

Eh? The point is obvious: he had no team and other teams were working against him, so he had to do all the work him self which tired him out.

If Chavanel didn't have Boonen as a team-mate he would not have had an excuse not to co-operate and they probably wouldn't have been caught.

Cancellara also wouldn't have needed to attack so early, but he was again forced to because he had no team-mates left anymore and Chavanel had quite a nice lead. And you don't give a rider like Chavanel such a lead, Devolder's 2009 victory is a prime example of that.

trevim said:
Still, I believe he can win without the team. Although the support he had was weak, I think his defeats in 2011 were more due to lack of tactical instinct, specially Flanders (I mean, attacking from what 40km out on the Leeberg or whatever?!)

He practically did the same thing in 2007...

El Pistolero said:
If Chavanel didn't have Boonen as a team-mate he would not have had an excuse not to co-operate and they probably wouldn't have been caught.

Cancellara didnt attack thinking - oh look Chavannel is up front, we work together and win:rolleyes:

He had dropped all the top guys from 50k out in PR the year before. He dropped everyone from 20k out in e3. WHen he attacked he knew it was going to be all himself.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Cancellara didnt attack thinking - oh look Chavannel is up front, we work together and win:rolleyes:

He had dropped all the top guys from 50k out in PR the year before. He dropped everyone from 20k out in e3. WHen he attacked he knew it was going to be all himself.

And this proves he doesn't need a team how lol?

He dropped a bunch of nobodies in the E3. Hubris.

He sure as hell begged Chavanel quite some time asking him to take over.

El Pistolero said:
And this proves he doesn't need a team how lol?

It doesnt. I was only responding to the bit where you wrote this

You do realize Cancellara cramped up because Chavanel, Boonen's team-mate, didn't take a single turn on the front?

Ergo why in my original response i took out all the other crap and left just this

:rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, not a single team-mate to help him out. Makes you tired and cramped up. Nothing wrong with what I said. Of course you still think Cancellara should've won Ronde '11, so it's impossible to have a discussion with you on this subject. Facts remain that he was isolated rather quickly and had to chase Chavanel himself. Took him a while to even catch Chavanel.

If he had team-mates he could've used them to chase Chavanel back and launch his attack at a more tactical place. Not sure what you're trying to prove anyway.

Main reason for cramp is dehydration, team mates get you fresh bidons and look after you, the Leopard team he had were awful much stronger team for him this year, but he wont come into the classics in same way he has before. Same with bonnen whos elbow has been set back. Sagan has a chance to win something for sure.

Going check out stage 3 now, its slight uphill looks interesting

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You said cancellara cramped because chavanel was wheelsucking him. I think that is wrong because i dont believe it makes a difference whether someone is roding behind you or not. that is not a variable in cramp.

Dehydration is: you dehydrate faster when you waste more energy. Why else do you think Chavanel wasn't dehydrated? He was sitting in Cancellara's wheel wasting less energy and didn't forget to drink.

So yes, having to ride 30km solo will make you waste more energy and thus make you dehydrate faster. If he had someone to help him it would've been much easier. Just look at the 2010 edition.

It obviously makes a world of difference whether or not someone is just sitting there in your wheel.

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
manafana said:
Right my look at who is getting involved in Stage 3

This is a long stage so i dont see likes of kittel getting their with the uphill finish also more suitable to stronger guys.

Hmm... You write, "This stage is dead long a 190km stage with quiet a nice finish which I have checked out and does provide an uphill finish but one for the sprinters can get to."

You do know this finish was ridden last year, right?

This year they are approaching from a different direction so there are fewer hills to climb in the last 20 km as they are coming in from the inland plateau rather than the coast.

This might give the tougher sprinters more of a chance (to come second to Sagan!!).

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
it wasn't nonsense. You're acting all superior because Nibali ended 4th - so what? What does it mean? Does it make you some sort of legend? By the way no one stated Nibali would suck. There were some people who disagreed when you said that Nibali would beat Alberto without a doubt on Green Mountain. I was one of them and I still stand by my point.

Der Effe said:
The irony.

Indeed.

The most tedious trolly poster on this forum, just same old rubbish recycled over and over again.

Yes we can all see the creepy obsessive disorder towards a certain cyclist, we all get it! please spare us or at least knock it on the head from time to time to give everyone a break from it.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Fabian had no choice but to attack early in Flanders '11. The race was going away from him with no teammates around him to limit the losses to Chavanel, let alone bring him back.

Cavendash said:
Indeed.

The most tedious trolly poster on this forum, just same old rubbish recycled over and over again.

Yes we can all see the creepy obsessive disorder towards a certain cyclist, we all get it! please spare us or at least knock it on the head from time to time to give everyone a break from it.

:rolleyes: you know I just checked your posts and they're not that high quality either so I would shut up if I were you.

Oh and I just checked the last 25 of my posts and at least 20 of them are not rubbish and none of them show my "creepy obsessive disorder towards a certain cyclist". By the way I always laugh so hard when a sky fanboy says something like that. :D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
So we have to judge a poster not by their 8000 post history or the daft threads they've start, but only by their last 25 posts? Will bear in mind for the future.

Your reputation precedes you Flo.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Cavendash said:
Indeed.

well put. florecita stigmatises again her own kind in things like this. blind adoration that is downright sickening. she reminds me of blood for bieber idiots who threaten to cut themselves if he is going to use any drugs.

will10 said:
So we have to judge a poster not by their 8000 post history or the daft threads they've start, but only by their last 25 posts? Will bear in mind for the future.

Your reputation precedes you Flo.

Okay I've had my crazy moments but does that make me tedious and my posts rubbish :confused: by the way what daft threads did I start other than the "I Love Alberto" thread?