• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro D'Italia, stage 1: Belfast › Belfast, 21.7 km (TTT)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins?

• Cannondale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:
I don't want to get into an argument but yes I did watch it live and also the recording I made and if you take note of the commentators all the way through they keep on about how lucky Orica were that they had the best ( drier) weather compared to the other teams and that both BMC & OPQS would probably have beaten that time had they had the same conditions.

Regardless of this it was a good stage but bad luck for Dan Martin, it was a really spectacular crash. Hope he recovers soon.

You said "Orica rode on dry roads right to the end as it started to rain just as they finished"
:rolleyes:

However it was raining even before the first team finished, I was worried for the skinny Colombians on the wet roads.

Both BMC and OPQS benefited greatly on the drier conditions, Orica would have won by a much larger margin if they all had the same conditions.

I hope too that Dan Martin recovers soon.

Garmin loses another....

As you may have already seen, a crash in stage 1 of the Giro d’Italia today saw four Garmin-Sharp riders hit the ground. Andre Cardoso, Koldo Fernandez, Nathan Haas, and team co-leader Dan Martin all sustained injuries of varying degrees. Dan Martin was transported immediately from the site of the crash to a local hospital where doctors confirmed a broken clavicle. He continues to be evaluated for additional injuries. Koldo Fernandez fought to the finish but was transported to a local hospital where doctors confirmed a broken clavicle. Andre Cardoso and Nathan Haas suffered contusions and abrasions and will be evaluated further tonight by team medical staff.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
You said "Orica rode on dry roads right to the end as it started to rain just as they finished"

However it was raining even before the first team finished, I was worried for the skinny Colombians on the wet roads.

Both BMC and OPQS benefited greatly on the drier conditions, Orica would have won by a much larger margin if they all had the same conditions.

Yes I did say they rode on dry/drier roads & this is what the CN article on the home page states:

BMC had to overcome some bad luck along the way to their result, including the pre-race crash of American Brent Bookwalter. They also had to endure wet roads, while Orica-GreenEdge beat the rain and rode on a mostly dry surface.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:

Yes I did say they rode on dry/drier roads & this is what the CN article on the home page states:

BMC had to overcome some bad luck along the way to their result, including the pre-race crash of American Brent Bookwalter. They also had to endure wet roads, while Orica-GreenEdge beat the rain and rode on a mostly dry surface.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:

Which do you believe more, your own eyes or CN live report? I truly hope the former :)

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
As you may have already seen, a crash in stage 1 of the Giro d’Italia today saw four Garmin-Sharp riders hit the ground. Andre Cardoso, Koldo Fernandez, Nathan Haas, and team co-leader Dan Martin all sustained injuries of varying degrees. Dan Martin was transported immediately from the site of the crash to a local hospital where doctors confirmed a broken clavicle. He continues to be evaluated for additional injuries. Koldo Fernandez fought to the finish but was transported to a local hospital where doctors confirmed a broken clavicle. Andre Cardoso and Nathan Haas suffered contusions and abrasions and will be evaluated further tonight by team medical staff.

So Koldo is out too,very bad start for Garmin...
Hope they will recover soon.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Very sorry after watching the video and reading about Dan Martin and his Garmin teammates. Wishing all of them well for a safe and speedy recovery.

Congratulations to OricaGreenEdge.

The winning team in action:

185657_PIC459233472.jpg

More pics here: http://www.steephill.tv/2014/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-01/

luckyboy said:
GC RIDERS

Uran
Evans +0.02
Majka/Roche +0.18
Scarponi +0.33
Basso (lol) +0.48
Quintana +0.50
Pozzovivo +0.53
Kelderman/Kruijswijk +0.56
Pellizotti +1.09
Niemiec +1.15
Rodriguez +1.28
Hesjedal +3.21
Martin DNF
De Gendt +0.22
Not bad considering he missed that sharp turn (and thereby he made Poels lose contact with the team, too).
I am totally biased in supporting for De Gendt repeating his 3rd place (or even better)... :D

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
RobbieCanuck said:
Come on. Tuft has the greatest day of his career and all you can do is rain on his parade and mock him? Surely that comes from the bottom of the barrel.

Tuft totally deserves the jersey.He has done a ton of work for OGE the last few years.

SKSemtex said:
OOO boy. I love this forum. I have a new question for tonights pub quarrel. Is the cycling individual or team sport. I will be fu...g smart tonight. :p

So I opened the question in the pub a nd mistery is solved. :D Cykling is pure individual sport as running is.
If we disolve tommorow all teams and we have only 200 individuels in the peloton we still can have a race. And results will be probably the same. The ones who are the best climbers and tters in the same time will be on the top of the list again.