• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Giro D'Italia, stage 1: Belfast › Belfast, 21.7 km (TTT)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins?

• Cannondale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
cineteq said:
A Canadian in pink is always fitting!

Were have you been all this time lol your banter is the best especially when every GT predicting Froome will not do well. Welcome back if indeed you have been away.

TANK91 said:
Orica are so lucky it is a joke i mean OPQS and BMC would have crushed them if they started equal. I have never liked them probably because their so bland as a team. Big day for Evans and Uran. If Uran is in same form as last year and Quintana is a little off he can win the Giro he will be atleast 50/50 out of Uran and Evans battle i think.

Basso could win the Giro or do a good result what a day for the Ivan fans hope he shows something. Hesjedal should go home he really should focus on the TDF as his top 5 ambition is over unless it is raced hard and he is close to Purito and Quintana in the mountains. Dan Martin i feel for the guy, horrid luck but this is twice now in recent times. Do not get like Gesink who because of crashes is now a shell of his talent.

opqs and bmc had probably better conditions?

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Good to see Tuft in pink. He really deserves it.

I hope this will mean that Purito already will attack as early as stage 5 and 6. He needs as much time bonus as he can get.

And poor Daniel Martin. The guy is a jinx. :(

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Fzotrlool said:
Good to see Tuft in pink. He really deserves it.

I wasn't happy Greenedge won but Tuft seemed like a nice guy in the interview so that lessened the dissapointment ...

Really sucks for Martin, that crash looked brutal - guy 2nd from back did a face plant at 55 kph +, must've hurt.

pretty intriguing ttt, this one i will remember it for a while. especially because of garmin(do you think dan martin's style of push violently the pedals has an effect on these crashes,both liege and now?his style is extremely unpleasant to watch), i hope he heals quickly, must be devastating

cadel's team strong, almost as strong as him. chapeau champ!

i want pls god, alejet maglia rosa for at least one day! i'm sure omega won't chase though :(
ivan basso very good, very tranquilo, we're on the right way
katusha, lots of problems on the road but also weak, hopefully purito will attack now in the mountains.

and congrats orica/tuft!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Orica are so lucky it is a joke i mean OPQS and BMC would have crushed them if they started equal. I have never liked them probably because their so bland as a team. Big day for Evans and Uran. If Uran is in same form as last year and Quintana is a little off he can win the Giro he will be atleast 50/50 out of Uran and Evans battle i think.

Basso could win the Giro or do a good result what a day for the Ivan fans hope he shows something. Hesjedal should go home he really should focus on the TDF as his top 5 ambition is over unless it is raced hard and he is close to Purito and Quintana in the mountains. Dan Martin i feel for the guy, horrid luck but this is twice now in recent times. Do not get like Gesink who because of crashes is now a shell of his talent.

You make no sense as usual, Orica rode in the rain, unlike OPQS and BMC.
So even more hats off for them for that win.

Basso will not win the Giro or do a good result unless other contenders crash or get injured/sick (like real, not a Froome type of chest infection)

Gutted to see Dan Martin's Giro end that way :(

Tuft will be busy getting the right accessories tonight.

838016395_640.jpg

and for later on one of the longer trips.

2022947198.jpg

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
You make no sense as usual, Orica rode in the rain, unlike OPQS and BMC.
So even more hats off for them for that win.

Basso will not win the Giro or do a good result unless other contenders crash or get injured/sick (like real, not a Froome type of chest infection)

Gutted to see Dan Martin's Giro end that way :(

I'm afraid you are the one who'se got it wrong as Orica rode on dry roads right to the end as it started to rain just as they finished. The other teams all had wet roads.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So sorry for Dan Martin. Devastated, in fact. This could very well have been his Giro. Knowing the Irish, however, makes me certain he'll bounce back and'll ultimately find the victory he deserves.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Boardslide said:
I'm afraid you are the one who'se got it wrong as Orica rode on dry roads right to the end as it started to rain just as they finished. The other teams all had wet roads.

This.

Regardless, it was a good way to see all of the teams today, shame about the dodgy roads but might encourage the council to sort them out a bit. Extra respect for Michael Hepburn today for high fiving the crowd at the start of Stranmillis road after putting in some great early work.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:

Did you even watch the stage today? It started raining well before the first, team Colombia finished?! :confused:

Half way through the rain stopped and the roads dried, hence why some good results from teams that usually are not that good at TTT...

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
hektoren said:
So sorry for Dan Martin. Devastated, in fact. This could very well have been his Giro. Knowing the Irish, however, makes me certain he'll bounce back and'll ultimately find the victory he deserves.

To what extent is the guy at the front responsible for avoiding obstacles like manhole covers???

jono

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Did you even watch the stage today? It started raining well before the first, team Colombia finished?! :confused:

Half way through the rain stopped and the roads dried, hence why some good results from teams that usually are not that good at TTT...

I don't want to get into an argument but yes I did watch it live and also the recording I made and if you take note of the commentators all the way through they keep on about how lucky Orica were that they had the best ( drier) weather compared to the other teams and that both BMC & OPQS would probably have beaten that time had they had the same conditions.

Regardless of this it was a good stage but bad luck for Dan Martin, it was a really spectacular crash. Hope he recovers soon.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
What a downer for Dan Martin. He was excited for this the minute it was announced and like Nico Roche, he probably wouldn't have even planned to do the Giro only for the Irish start. Terrible luck he's had with the LBL crash also.

The crowds on the road were brilliant and it was great watching it go up the hill to Stormont. Never thought I'd see that.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
peloton said:

Ha ha i make no sense as usual think your talking about yourself their. No Orica as they were near the finishe it was raining i mean even BMC and OPQS still had some wet on the roads for whole course it did not completely dry that quickly if we based it on form BMC or OPQS would have won today.