• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2014 Tour de France, Stage 10: Mulhouse > La Planche des Belles Filles 161.5 Km

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
No former tdf winners left, whatever happens we gonna get a new champ and Nibbles looks more and more like the man most likely to. His win today was by no means decisive on paper, but Contadors demise and his own form must have given the Italian champ a huge mentsl boost.

Fight.The.Power said:
Yeh I heard that. My technical knowledge is zero though. Surely if this is a possibility it is a massive issue ??

Nope. Carbon wheels have been around for years. The less-than-optimal braking in some conditions is a very well known issue. The riders have many equipment options to resolve it.

If any rider hits a rock, falls, then some carbon something breaks, it's the hitting the rock that was the issue.

Carbon fails spectacularly in some conditions. This is a simple matter of fact. The bikes they ride are not general purpose machines. Many of the carbon bikes sold are not general purpose bikes too. They sure are light though!

xanadu said:
No former tdf winners left, whatever happens we gonna get a new champ and Nibbles looks more and more like the man most likely to. His win today was by no means decisive on paper, but Contadors demise and his own form must have given the Italian champ a huge mentsl boost.

Two weeks to go. That's a long time.

Look at it from a different angle, Nibali is expending great effort in the first week and perhaps some of the GC contenders are expending a bit less. The great efforts should, in theory, catch up to him later on and perhaps another GC contender will have something in reserve.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Stage results:

1.Froome
2.Contador s.t.
3.Nibali + 40s
4.Pinot + 55s
5.Valverde +1.00

What a great Tour this will be!:rolleyes:

Come on, show some logic? Given the distance of the climb and how good Nibali looked what suggests that he would have lost 40 seconds to Froome and AC if they were riding? Maybe 5 seconds tops.

whittashau said:
Come on, show some logic? Given the distance of the climb and how good Nibali looked what suggests that he would have lost 40 seconds to Froome and AC if they were riding? Maybe 5 seconds tops.

We will never know. That whole discussion is completely obsolete. The only thing we know is that both Froome and Contador generally climb faster than Nibali.

Gutted for Contador, nice win Nibali. He really has to win this now he may never get a better chance with the top 2 now out and Quintana not there.

A final moan for Valverde! What on earth is this guy on? Just sit there at the back of the chasers and let Nibali ride away. Does he not even want to win this race? As usual he sprint past most of them in the final metres to make himself look great, I honestly hope he doesn't even make the podium!

May 19, 2011
Visit site
whittashau said:

why bother, let them live in their own heads.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Gutted for Contador, nice win Nibali. He really has to win this now he may never get a better chance with the top 2 now out and Quintana not there.

A final moan for Valverde! What on earth is this guy on? Just sit there at the back of the chasers and let Nibali ride away. Does he not even want to win this race? As usual he sprint past most of them in the final metres to make himself look great, I honestly hope he doesn't even make the podium!

banking on the third week, tbh it is not a bad idea. Still two weeks to go!

whittashau said:
Sounds fairly reasonable but I'd say more like 30. Good ride by by Nibs but I'm not overly impressed by 15 secs to Pinot.
Cookster15 said:
Breaking the tibia would be incredibly painful. Kudos to him to even be able to try to pedal after doing that. Sad for him.

Climbing a mountain on a broken tibia does not sound like fun.

Pricey_sky said:
He does it every race! Pretends he suffers then sprints past everyone. If he's that useless then Movistar are morons for not taking Quintana to the Tour.

Oh don't be ridiculous. He does suffer, and everyone tries to sprint on the last meters, he's just the guy who's best at it. He only needs a few drops left in the tank to do that. Maybe he could have followed Nibali 50m longer only to blow up for real, but he rode sensibly and got the most out of his legs and the stage.

I was allready gutted that I had to miss the stage today and now reading that Alberto has crashed out is even more sad.

It's part of bike racing though. No sport as cruel and dangerous as cycling I guess.

Well done Nibali! Would've been amazing if Froome and Contador would've still be riding. Likely the only riders that could contend with him for the win. They are gone though so it's looking great for the shark.

Still 2 weeks to go though.

TRENDING THREADS