• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Dauphiné, stage 5: Digne-les-Bains > Pra-Loup 161km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Poursuivant said:
Froome looked stronger at last years Dauphine, but maybe that is a good thing for him, because in the 2013 TDF, he wasn't as strong in the final week:
He did, but then let's also remember that the strength was in the 30s sprints, not the tempo he did when he stopped sprinting, which allowed lesser riders like Kelderman to come back on.

Teejay sure surprised me in a positive way, and Valverde in a negative way.

Nibali's complete disregard of the race, treating it like a training session, was hilarious. It seemed like he was checking the power meter, saw that it exceeds what he wants to do by 1 watt and said *** it, you guys go, I don't care.

This race has a long and proud tradition of 2nd tier GT guys doing well and the main contenders looking average, The relative strength of TJ and Froome is following that script perfectly. Froome should be fine for the Tour and I would not get too excited about TJ (although he may well win this race).

Froome was clearly better than most today, but he may have overestimated where his fitness is at.

Nibali may have been sandbagging, but I don't know if I buy that Valverde and the others were. I'd expect them to ride for stage wins, if they're fit to do so.

Is TJVG the revelation here? The last two stages will tell us more about that, and whether others have any <bleeps> to give for this Dauphiné.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
As expected froome is terrible no surprise there, dont even worrie about him for Contador in TDF. The guy im worried about is quintana with nibali as a wild card (depending on what dmg he can do in the first week)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Please stop putting too much emphasis on these results. Come Tour the results could be completely different. Some might hold and others will go backwards.

So you're saying Teejay isn't going to win the Tour?

Re:

blackmamba said:
As expected froome is terrible no surprise there, dont even worrie about him for Contador in TDF. The guy im worried about is quintana with nibali as a wild card (depending on what dmg he can do in the first week)

yes, contador always won the dauphine when he entered it didn't he.

Re: Re:

Singer01 said:
blackmamba said:

Third time blackmamba has posted the EXACT same post in this thread.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

Singer01 said:
blackmamba said:

Froome wont be any problem for contador im more afraid of quintana that is if froome even gets past the first week seeing he is probably the worst bike handler in the entire peleton :p but if he does i would rate him around nibali with quintana in front of em!

I didn't watch the stage, but looking at the results, I'm glad to see Bardet banking a victory & lifting his confidence for the Tour. Froome did very well, despite of what I read from previous posts, since this stage didn't quite suite him. Good to see TJVG in yellow and performing well. As far as the other big names- they're simply saving themselves for Le Tour- although I was hoping to see Valverde trying something today, but he has his schedule already set up -I guess...

Re:

blackmamba said:

I don't know if it is just a pet peeve of mine or is it as annoying to everyone else, but either capitalize all names or none (if hitting a shift button is too much of a strain).

And Barder is an awesome rider. Love his agression. Hopefully he gets strong enough for those moves to bring him some major victories soon. I think it was a stage 17 in TdF 2014 in which he made similar move except his gap from main group was stagnant at 15s until they decided to pull him back. Looked quite helpless there but it is good that he keeps attacking

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
Bizarre ride from Kennaugh. He was in front of Froome on the big climb until sliding to the back of the group in the last couple of kms. Then never went near the front on the final climb yet finished in the top 20. Bot malfunction ?

It took all he had to stay at the back of the front group. He didn't have enough energy to set tempo at the front. I think he is fighting hard to get a TDF spot.

Kwibus said:
Flamin said:
Pantani_lives said:
I missed the stage while sitting at home. Stupid French with their early finishes. :mad:

You haven't really been paying attention this week then ;)

Anyway, this was a great stage. Fantastic ride from Bardet, really glad he won.

I could be wrong, but yesterday they finished after 17:00 so I was expecting the same today. I know the first days they finished early, but why yesterday 2 hours later....?

Because the stage was 228km long probably.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
TGBM has a back injury. He says he has been struggling with it since the fall in Pais Vasco and thought with rest after the Ardennes it would be ok. But it isn't. Says he has no power at all now

I always amazes me with comments like this. I'm not saying that he is faking the injury, but if it is still bugging him, he should have felt it in training as well, no? And if he has had the feeling when training since the Ardennes and it's still not gone, it probabably would be a wise decision to skip the tour.

Bushman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
TGBM has a back injury. He says he has been struggling with it since the fall in Pais Vasco and thought with rest after the Ardennes it would be ok. But it isn't. Says he has no power at all now

I always amazes me with comments like this. I'm not saying that he is faking the injury, but if it is still bugging him, he should have felt it in training as well, no? And if he has had the feeling when training since the Ardennes and it's still not gone, it probabably would be a wise decision to skip the tour.
Well he was pretty bad in Tour of the Fjords as well. And the high intensity training was planned after the Dauphine. Up until the Dauphine was medium intensity training. Could well be possible at medium intensity it doesn't bother him.

Bushman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Back injuries can be a bit mysterious. Seemingly easing off and then coming back with little obvious rhyme or reason. It's terrible timing for Mollema if he does have an ongoing back problem though.

Bushman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Well this could be part of the training.

Jaunty Monty said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Bizarre ride from Kennaugh. He was in front of Froome on the big climb until sliding to the back of the group in the last couple of kms. Then never went near the front on the final climb yet finished in the top 20. Bot malfunction ?

It took all he had to stay at the back of the front group. He didn't have enough energy to set tempo at the front. I think he is fighting hard to get a TDF spot.

He could obviously have come to the front if he was going well enough to finish 20th (there was a lull when they first hit the final climb while the other Sky doms do just that). As a dom in that situation you do what you can and ride yourself to a standstill. If it was planned then the only thing I can think is that he was on a scouting mission to see how some of the others were looking

TRENDING THREADS