• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Milano - Sanremo, March 22nd, 293 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Just guessing to be honest but they never seem to work together. It's well known GVA and Gilbert aren't very friendly but I think some of it might stem from the fact they only sign big name riders who want to win for themselves. They never seem to work together well in one day races and all seem to be left to their own devices.

Oss and Dilier rode a perfect domestique race in this one. Oss rode a perfect domestique ride for Greg in Strade Bianca. Sanchez did a perfect lead out for Gilbert at last year's Amstel Gold.

It's only Gilbert and Van Av that don't work well together. See my post on the first page though. Gilbert buried himself for Greg in the worlds and Greg did a terrible sprint so I don't blame him for not working for Greg. They both think they can win on any terrain but reality they are only good at short uphill sprints.

King Boonen said:
samhocking said:
Sky's was a standard tactic for a race that will normally end in a sprint finish that doesn't allow much, if any leadout organisation? Thomas isn't going to just half attack is he when his moment came, just in case he accidentally wins the race instead of Swift? You attack to win, if it pulls off, great, if not, you kept a team mate out the wind to use his energy as part of another plan for winning later on in the race. Just like other teams, their very aggressive strategy didn't work, but then neither did many teams with only a 500m sprint strategy too.

This is clearly different to what you posted before:

samhocking said:
Exactly, Thomas was controlling the race from the front perfectly for Swift for all the momenta Swift could have been shelled having to chase his rivals. Thomas clearly wasn't riding for himself as some here think. A fine display of teamwork from Sky. Clearly not the end result for Sky, C'est la vie!

Thomas was clearly riding for himself, as he himself says. The fact that it happens to aid Swift is obvious, but he was riding for himself.

The problem, though, is that MSR is not a normal sprint finish, given that after nearly 300k nobody is fresh and certainly nobody can rely on a train to set up thier best sprinter.

It is, in this sense, the best type of sprint finish, for it is just a slug fest between anyone who has any speed left in their legs. The question thus is did Sky's tactic work best in favor of their ultimate goal?

If you can't arrive alone (which, today, in MSR is almost impossible to do), then it is better to work for the guy that has the best chance in the finish we got.

rhubroma said:
The problem, though, is that MSR is not a normal sprint finish, given that after nearly 300k nobody is fresh and certainly nobody can rely on a train to set up thier best sprinter.

It is, in this sense, the best type of sprint finish, for it is just a slug fest between anyone who has any speed left in their legs. The question thus is did Sky's tactic work best in favor of their ultimate goal?

If you can't arrive alone (which, today, in MSR is almost impossible to do), then it is better to work for the guy that has the best chance in the finish we got.

I'm not questioning the tactic, that was fine and I think they played it almost right although G could maybe have waited a bit longer, but the tactic was clearly for G to go, go hard and not think about anything other than the win as he didn't have to. That helps Swift of course, but I only commented because SamHocking was saying that G was clearly not riding for himself, when he was. He even said so when interviewed afterwards.

Quickstep had the same tactic with Kwiatkowski and Stybar, they probably waited to the right time and jumped at the right point with Sagan, but then they crashed.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Arredondo said:
What a great perfomance from Bonifazio! 21 years old and already 5th!

Cancellara just a **** race. Didn't do anything on the Poggio. Valverde also the old Valverde in the big races.
Pozzato said that there was a strong headwind on the Poggio, so nobody dared to attack, he also was caught behind the Gilbert-crash.
Edit: Lampre rode a great race, Bono once again awesome in a breakaway, just like last year in M-S and LBL, Serpa worked at the front after Oss and Thomas attacked, Pozzato wanted to attack right after the Poggio descent because of the strong headwind on the Poggio but was caught behind the crash, Bonifazio had Kistoff's wheel and Cimolai and Degenkolb's wheel when the sprint started, but he didn't have the legs after the long race.

Mayomaniac said:
Arredondo said:
What a great perfomance from Bonifazio! 21 years old and already 5th!

Cancellara just a **** race. Didn't do anything on the Poggio. Valverde also the old Valverde in the big races.
Pozzato said that there was a strong headwind on the Poggio, so nobody dared to attack, he also was caught behind the Gilbert-crash.

Pozzato also said that Bonifazio is the greatest talent Italy's got among the up and coming generation for the Classics.

rhubroma said:
King Boonen said:
samhocking said:
Sky's was a standard tactic for a race that will normally end in a sprint finish that doesn't allow much, if any leadout organisation? Thomas isn't going to just half attack is he when his moment came, just in case he accidentally wins the race instead of Swift? You attack to win, if it pulls off, great, if not, you kept a team mate out the wind to use his energy as part of another plan for winning later on in the race. Just like other teams, their very aggressive strategy didn't work, but then neither did many teams with only a 500m sprint strategy too.

This is clearly different to what you posted before:

samhocking said:
Exactly, Thomas was controlling the race from the front perfectly for Swift for all the momenta Swift could have been shelled having to chase his rivals. Thomas clearly wasn't riding for himself as some here think. A fine display of teamwork from Sky. Clearly not the end result for Sky, C'est la vie!

Thomas was clearly riding for himself, as he himself says. The fact that it happens to aid Swift is obvious, but he was riding for himself.

Sagan, once again, was the biggest disapointment of the day. Why he didn't push over the Poggio when there was a bit of a gap is beside me, especially with his descending skills! Then what was he thinking when he was off the front but not on a commited attack!! :eek: I mean at that point in the race, either you attack seriously (in his case, at that point, no - as he should have put the hammer down over the Poggio) or you stay on a wheel and you never, never, never, go off the front to take useless wind!!! Just unbelievable. For this reason, he probably was too far back (again) when he started his sprint.

In MSR every second of wasted energy, or half-ass commitment, in the last 5 k means you seriously compromise your chances for victory, if not throw them completely away. Sagan only confirmed this today.

In Thomas's interview it sounds pretty much Like Thomas was riding for Swift the whole race. He says:

I wasn't thinking about a win.
He helped Swift over the Cipressa and then went when Oss went only because BMC looked strong, even though that wasn't the teams plan, he was meant to soften the Poggio for Swift when the big guns came out.
Recovered as much as he could and when the descent off the Poggio finished, so he could get back on the front to help Swifty around the fountain and into the heart of San Remo.
Swift gave Thomas the nod that he was to help him get into position for the sprint.

That is not the answers someone gives who was riding for himself or for the win kingboonen lol!

Nice selective quoting there:

"It was hard. I went and I tried to give it everything but I knew the boys behind. I knew when the likes of Van Avermaet and Sagan attacks in the last k that they’re going to be doing over 700 watts and they’re going to close the gap pretty quick. You have to try,” he explained. “I wasn’t thinking about that (the win) I was just thinking about getting to the top and then if you’ve got a gap then you start thinking about the descent and then you start thinking about the finish.

Clearly riding for himself.

rhubroma said:
Sagan, once again, was the biggest disapointment of the day. Why he didn't push over the Poggio when there was a bit of a gap is beside me, especially with his descending skills! Then what was he thinking when he was off the front but not on a commited attack!! :eek: I mean at that point in the race, either you attack seriously (in his case, at that point, no - as he should have put the hammer down over the Poggio) or you stay on a wheel and you never, never, never, go off the front to take useless wind!!! Just unbelievable. For this reason, he probably was too far back (again) when he started his sprint.

In MSR every second of wasted energy, or half-ass commitment, in the last 5 k means you seriously compromise your chances for victory, if not throw them completely away. Sagan only confirmed this today.

Maybe he remembered that Tour stage last year when he attacked (with GVA?) on the downhill and then got caught on the line by Trentin

Mayomaniac said:
Pozzato said that there was a strong headwind on the Poggio, so nobody dared to attack

the wind came from a different direction than last year though (at least if RCS got their data right), when the riders still mentioned the same excuse as a reason not to attack.

There's a 180°C corner on the Poggio, so you can't have head-/tailwind for the whole climb of course, but neither can it be the reason not to attack for two years in a row, when it came from different directions (ENE this year, NNW in 2014).

luckyboy said:
Maybe he remembered that Tour stage last year when he attacked (with GVA?) on the downhill and then got caught on the line by Trentin

in contrary I think, he hasn't learned anything from it. It has happened at least two or three times last year that he had a little gap over the top of a final climb but hesitated to go full out (not only in the Tour, also in Switzerland when Trentin won in the end as well). He either needs to learn to suck wheels properly and win the sprint then, or to take the risk and attack - to either win solo (or from a small group) in the end, or to be caught back and have nothing left for the sprint. As long as he tries a mixture of both, he will continue to be unsuccessful

Such irrelevant talk on here about Sagan and lack of a lead out ....Degenkolb had no lead out and neither did Matthews nor Bonifazio ...Sagan was not the best ...simple as ....And so unfair to blame Matti Breschel for Sagan's failure ...If Breschel could have gotten in front of Sagan I am sure he would have but only the best were at the front....Tinkov is a utter fool and nut job to undermine his team on social media...Good luck in getting them to ride all out for you next time

If Sagan needs a lead out then what he going to do at the Tour de France ???

Luca Paolini leading from the start of Poggio till the end. His effort was superb but i think he could have easily been overtaken by some of the stronger riders if they were willing to do so.
I think if the idea is to drop sprinters like Kristoff, a team has to force on both the Cipressa and the Poggio otherwise it becomes groupo compacto before the end provided they also have an uphilll sprinter with them. This is for Orica with Matthews, Sky with Swift, Tinkoff with Sagan, Giant with Degenkolb. I think Degenkolb was lucky. If Kristoff hadn't made a slight mistake understandable under the circumstances, there was no way he was going to come first
For the explosive attackers, the only choice is to attack anywhere from the start of Poggio till 500m from the end but it should be a full hearted attack. This is for Astana, Movistar, BMC, Trek and the rest without major sprinters. This time nobody tried seriously.

This was probably one time that a long sprint was not going to work for Kristoff with the headwind. He was a bit too close to the front before the sprint. Matthews was momentarily held up but was finishing as fast as anyone. Can see why he was disappointed. Good win by Degenkolb and he won quite clearly. As usual the descent causes as many problems as the ascent of the last climb. BMC and Sky animated the end of the race but have nothing to show for it. All in all a fairly typical Milan San Remo with the weather also playing a part. Pretty good race but Omloop was better.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Luca Paolini leading from the start of Poggio till the end. His effort was superb but i think he could have easily been overtaken by some of the stronger riders if they were willing to do so.
I think if the idea is to drop sprinters like Kristoff, a team has to force on both the Cipressa and the Poggio otherwise it becomes groupo compacto before the end provided they also have an uphilll sprinter with them. This is for Orica with Matthews, Sky with Swift, Tinkoff with Sagan, Giant with Degenkolb. I think Degenkolb was lucky. If Kristoff hadn't made a slight mistake understandable under the circumstances, there was no way he was going to come first
For the explosive attackers, the only choice is to attack anywhere from the start of Poggio till 500m from the end but it should be a full hearted attack. This is for Astana, Movistar, BMC, Trek and the rest without major sprinters. This time nobody tried seriously.

This is why Sagan is no Bettini.

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand that Kristoff in the ascent of the Poggio and in the streets of San Remo all the time held the wheel of Paolini. Paolini setting the pace and making sure no serious attacks could mess up a sprint was probably a good thing to do in their situation, But to expect a fast leadout from him in the last straight was a bitambitious, to say the least. When he pulled out of the front, he had nothing left in the tank whatsoever.

Kristoff should have tried to find a nice wheel from another sprinter. That would have been hard, knowing that his own wheel was probably the most wanted in the bunch, but he did not even try. I immediately knew he had lost as soon as he hit the wind, and was surprised that he still managed to get 2nd.

[/quote]

In MSR every second of wasted energy, or half-ass commitment, in the last 5 k means you seriously compromise your chances for victory, if not throw them completely away. Sagan only confirmed this today.[/quote]

What a ***. With such a headwind there was no chance to hold to the finish with attack on the top of Poggio or after the the descend. Everybody in the field new it and Sagan is not stupid either. He did the right thing. The true is he simply did not have the legs to win the bunch sprint after 300 km. It was also the reason of his bad positioning.

RVV will be another story.

TRENDING THREADS