• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta Stage 11: Andorra la Vella>Cortals d'Encamp 138k

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:
Wearing my green-tinted glasses for a minute, it's so annoying that Dan Martin can't ride a bike for 10 days without falling off, because I was looking forward to seeing how he'd handle this stage as a GC contender (vs say 2013 Tour stage 9 which was multi climb but not as tough and no MTF). If Roche starts grinding on the big ring he's toast.
Well, I think it's time we realise that Martin is no GC rider.

7th last year and seemed to be going better this year but in terms of bike handling he makes Thibaut Pinot look like Danny MacAskill.

If Dumoulin rides smart, rides his own pace, doesn't try to follow attacks and uses the descents to his advantage he could do very well - he's strong obviously and any rain might be in his favour. On the other hand if he thinks he's Contador now, then he's going to be in big trouble

vedrafjord said:
Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:
Wearing my green-tinted glasses for a minute, it's so annoying that Dan Martin can't ride a bike for 10 days without falling off, because I was looking forward to seeing how he'd handle this stage as a GC contender (vs say 2013 Tour stage 9 which was multi climb but not as tough and no MTF). If Roche starts grinding on the big ring he's toast.

7th last year and seemed to be going better this year but in terms of bike handling he makes Thibaut Pinot look like Danny MacAskill.
I know, and I like Martin and would love to see him contend for a podium in a GT, but that 7th place doesn't really mean much. I mean just look at some of the names that have done equally as well in the Vuelta in the last five years: Roche (5th in 2013 and 7th in 2010), Ten Dam (8th in 2012), Monfort (6th in 2011), Velits (3rd in 2010).

And Dan Martins other GT results speak for themselves:

Vuelta 2009: 53rd
Giro 2010: 54th
Vuelta 2011: 13th
Tour 2012: 35th
Tour 2013: 33rd
Vuelta 2013: DNF
Tour 2015: 39
Vuelta 2015: DNF

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Kwibus said:
Arredondo said:
SafeBet said:
Arredondo said:
If it rains, Purito will be good. I think he will finish in the top-5, perhaps top-3. And he will attack from further out.
Define further out.

The rain part of the he will attack part?

About the rain: Purito is always sublime in rain. Most of his big wins were in tough, rainy conditions. And sometimes he suffers from the heat. Instead of someone like Valverde or Froome, he can handle quick temperature drops/weather changes very well. Quintana is also a rider who's good in this.

About the attack part: It's his home stage. He will be super motivated. Perhaps this is the stage/race he wants to win most deadly. I think he will put all his cards on the table, also because he needs to take a good chunck of time if he wants to win this Vuelta. Or be in the mix after the TT.

All of this is true, but I help you hope Purito still is good enough to actually try. I think he's passed it, but I'll be happy if he prooves me wrong!

Well, he's still 2nd in the GC, in front of all the other big names. Ofcourse he's not as good as 2012/2013, but still good (or experienced) enough to try something.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If only nibali was still here, astana would have gone full genius giro style.

I don't expect much from any other teams.

Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
If Dumoulin rides smart, rides his own pace, doesn't try to follow attacks and uses the descents to his advantage he could do very well - he's strong obviously and any rain might be in his favour. On the other hand if he thinks he's Contador now, then he's going to be in big trouble
i remember the eneco ardennes stage a few years back, when stybar won gc. Dumoulin was isolated early, led the final 30km or so chasing and still came in with the best :eek:

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Fernandez said:
If the riders want it, this stage could be one of the worst butchers in the cycling history. Imaging this stage going full gas from the begining. Half of the peloton out of control.

Yes,This is what should happen. This race should get blown to bits and "then who knows who will win"
If I was a rider who did not ride the tour, I would attack but keep it controlled from the first climb. Put all the tour riders under pressure. Astana have a great chance to get their sh%% together and prove they can be fearsome like in the giro.
So far its been easy for the usual players. Big chance for someone or some riders to get big time ,,,if they have the lower hanging man containers.

Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:
Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:

I know, and I like Martin and would love to see him contend for a podium in a GT, but that 7th place doesn't really mean much. I mean just look at some of the names that have done equally as well in the Vuelta in the last five years: Roche (5th in 2013 and 7th in 2010), Ten Dam (8th in 2012), Monfort (6th in 2011), Velits (3rd in 2010).

There you again underestimating the abilty of Nicolas Roche just because he finds it hard to lose weight and keep power (and needs alot of racing to get to form) but he is a far better rider than anyone you have mentioned in that list and more robust a GT rider than many including his cousin. In the 2013 Vuelta there were so many of the so called favourites on here in the race including Henao (as SKY leader) Uran , Mollema , Pinot, Pozzovivo , Konig, Fuglsang,etc. Still better than them and also in 2010 if you look at the roster he right up there . Maybe than just blindly listing names you should look at the competition before you decry his achievements. And how many GTs the so called better riders have done top 10 in ?
And just becasue the Vuelta is at the end of the season it has always had strong racing and measures form and ability in different way

Just goes to underline the bias rubbish written on here

HelloDolly said:
Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:
Hugo Koblet said:
vedrafjord said:

There you again underestimating the abilty of Nicolas Roche just because he finds it hard to lose weight and keep power (and needs alot of racing to get to form) but he is a far better rider than anyone you have mentioned in that list and more robust a GT rider than many including his cousin. In the 2013 Vuelta there were so many of the so called favourites on here in the race including Henao (as SKY leader) Uran , Mollema , Pinot, Pozzovivo , Konig, Fuglsang,etc. Still better than them and also in 2010 if you look at the roster he right up there . Maybe than just blindly listing names you should look at the competition before you decry his achievements. And how many GTs the so called better riders have done top 10 in ?
And just becasue the Vuelta is at the end of the season it has always had strong racing and measures form and ability in different way

Just goes to underline the bias rubbish written on here
I'm sorry. Don't take it so personal, Nicolas.

On a more serious note, I think that what you just wrote underlines my initial point. Roche is a decent but by no means great rider. The fact that he has finished 5th and Martin 7th tells you more about the nature of the Vuelta than of anything else.

I really hope he wins, but I fear Froome may crack tomorrow.
Either way Aru will be the best of the GC contenders (aside from Froome possibility), he will attack very late, gain several seconds and realize he should have gone earlier.
I fear that the stage may not live up to the hype (though Domoulin has no chance imo)

Re:

Miburo said:
If only nibali was still here, astana would have gone full genius giro style.

I don't expect much from any other teams.
the peloton is too tired and cooked to lauch early fireworks. we haven't seen any strong team initiative in the race thus far. eventually it's 3rd gt of the season and it's difficult to expect risky moves on the 1st big mountain stage.

opening climbs of the stage to be passed very very slowly. the bunch of 30-40 riders to hit the bottom of the final ascent. froome or quintana to win and take over the leader jersey. dimoulin to be thrown away from top 5

Can't see any of the serious contenders go for a long-ranger. Tour guys have a high likelihood of blowing themselves up completely, when doing it, while race situation at the moment is not forcing their hands either.

Those who did the Giro, like Aru, will probably be in better place form-wise versus the likes of Quintana and Froome later in the race. So a stage to Ermita del Alba, for example, would be more beneficial to them to take big risks on (if needed), than tomorrows.

So, important attacks probably come only on the last climb. Most important, though, is to have constant high pace over all the climbs, so the great terrain can do its work before the favorites come out to play.

Stage winner either someone from the break, or Aru if it comes down to GC favorites also fighting out the stage.

Arredondo said:
Kwibus said:
Arredondo said:
SafeBet said:
Arredondo said:
If it rains, Purito will be good. I think he will finish in the top-5, perhaps top-3. And he will attack from further out.
Define further out.

The rain part of the he will attack part?

About the rain: Purito is always sublime in rain. Most of his big wins were in tough, rainy conditions. And sometimes he suffers from the heat. Instead of someone like Valverde or Froome, he can handle quick temperature drops/weather changes very well. Quintana is also a rider who's good in this.

About the attack part: It's his home stage. He will be super motivated. Perhaps this is the stage/race he wants to win most deadly. I think he will put all his cards on the table, also because he needs to take a good chunck of time if he wants to win this Vuelta. Or be in the mix after the TT.

All of this is true, but I help you hope Purito still is good enough to actually try. I think he's passed it, but I'll be happy if he prooves me wrong!

Well, he's still 2nd in the GC, in front of all the other big names. Ofcourse he's not as good as 2012/2013, but still good (or experienced) enough to try something.

Yes and if this was 2012/2013 he would've lead this Vuelta with a minute with the parcours until now. Atleast a minute.

TRENDING THREADS