• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta Stage 7: Jódar>La Alpujarra (191.1k)

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Gigs_98 said:
Arredondo said:
van Garderen loses 1 minute. Froome and Landa 30 seconds.

Quite some victims.

So Aru vs. Valverde vs. Quintana?
What about Purito ;)
And I also wouldnt forget Majka, he was really good

Well, he was there you know. Really on his limit, but still there. And in the next days, the weather will be worse, with rain in Andorra stage. That suits Purito even better :D

But more then a top-5 isn't possible, for sure. I just hope for a stage win.

Froome, Landa (disappointing), Van Garderen, Moreno all lost time.
Why that? Froome will fade away, Landa is not in Giro shape, TJVG isn't suited for this race, Chaves will fade etc etc. JRod should be able to podium here...

Watching Lindeman lumber his way up the final climb in that heat was hilarious, there was something inevitable about it all & when he reappeared I was chuckling away to myself. Thought that was a great race today in crazy heat.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
Arredondo said:
Gigs_98 said:
Arredondo said:
van Garderen loses 1 minute. Froome and Landa 30 seconds.

Quite some victims.

So Aru vs. Valverde vs. Quintana?
What about Purito ;)
And I also wouldnt forget Majka, he was really good

Well, he was there you know. Really on his limit, but still there. And in the next days, the weather will be worse, with rain in Andorra stage. That suits Purito even better :D

But more then a top-5 isn't possible, for sure. I just hope for a stage win.

Froome, Landa (disappointing), Van Garderen, Moreno all lost time.
Why that? Froome will fade away, Landa is not in Giro shape, TJVG isn't suited for this race, Chaves will fade etc etc. JRod should be able to podium here...

I don't think so. He looks vulnerable on the long climbs nowadays.

Climbs like Cumbre, Ermita or Caminito: no problem, still world class.

Cortals and Cabrales? Not so sure.

hrotha said:
Gigs_98 said:
Why? That was the first real mtf and the first two 3rd category finishes were pretty good. Moreover its hard to win against the 2012 tour/giro
I don't think those finishes were pretty good. Yes, the 2012 Giro in particular will probably still come 1st, and yes, it's too early and the Vuelta could still improve, theoretically. Hence the "well on its way" thing.
Its well on its way kind of like how Danny Moreno was well on his way to win the 2013 Vuelta after the first week.

Kudos to Lindeman!!! Amazing the break stayed away, he really earned that win! All in all a fun finale.

Any day the Dawg is dropped is a good day. But I wouldn't count this guy down and out just yet. He has a way of coming back that boggles the mind. Just when you think you're rid of him he shows up.

Tejay exposed, he doesn't come back. He'll be lucky to finish top 5.

Aru looks good. Bala and Nairito were there. Majka looked good. EDIT: Purito with this group also.

Landa exposed. A least Taxus' idols finished together for him.

The only 2 I'd toss out for the win right now are Tejay and Landa.

For a GT without Alberto i think it shapens up to a pretty intresting Vuelta.

Froome loses time but could perhaps recover later for the second week. Same goes for Quintana. Valverde looks solid but could fade. Aru looks very good but could go the same way. Landa can become better. Everyone hovering around 1 minute from the best.

And then we have Chaves...

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Koshevoy doing well considering the CN results have had him as a DNF on Stage two, and absent from the race since.

Majka finished well today and maybe it will turn out on CN that Niemiec finished second as well, since he's figured in the results all week. :)

p.s. They seem now to have corrected the results.

Apart from that pretty much as expected, but we found out a couple of things today. Aru was keeping his powder dry (but I wouldn't shout too much about him gaining 11 seconds). Froome and Landa were a bit worse than I expected. TJ was pretty much at the level I expected.

Movistar should be the team to beat. Stage 11 will be the D-Day, especially for Domoulin. Aru will now be the clear Astana leader. Majka, Pozzo, JRod and Martin are still in the mix, but the TT is not in their favour. I'd say Majka is the best of those (or least bad TT-ist). Chaves coped very well today, but I fear he'll be isolated on the queen stage (and then there's the TT).

Chill out guys. Who was expecting fierworks anyway? At least something happened, there was a surprising winner and great scenery (which to me back exactly 10 years when I was staying in Bubion).

p.s. On Froome losing time. It definitely has a silver lining, since G was talking about chilling out for the first two weeks and testing out his legs in week 3. At least the probability of that has increased.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

SafeBet said:
Aru doing what he does best: power effort on a 7% percentage climb in a not so difficult stage. This is where he excels. Don't overreact on his performace.

For sure. Aru is only a little more than a mountain sprinter. He'll do well this Vuelta, because it's the Vuelta. But I can't see him winning. Wouldn't rule out Froome this early either. If he is close in week 3, there will be some fireworks for sure.

Armchair cyclist said:
Koshevoy doing well considering the CN results have had him as a DNF on Stage two, and absent from the race since.

Maybe that's why he went in the break, and also went in the break on stage three. He's simply going:
"GUYS! GUYS! I'M STILL HERE!"

Love how the breakaway guys went completely:
"I can't... I'm dead... oh *** that! I'm gonna try anyway."

(And that'll be all for me imagining what the riders were saying/thinking today.)

Gigs_98 said:
ice&fire said:
Gigs_98 said:
To all the "Aru has no chance because he has never climbed stronger than any other top tier rider" guys: In your face :cool:
He climbed 8 seconds faster. How many climbs does he need to compensate the 2+ minutes he'll lose in the ITT? :rolleyes:
He climbed 8 seconds faster on one kilometer, and the pace wasnt high so the riders weren't already exhausted when he attacked
edit: and the gc contenders this year are all extremely bad time trialists, now that froome has dropped, nibali was disqualified and everyone says that dumoulin doesnt have a chance anyways. He actually could even be one of the strongest ones.

Why would you count Froome out already? He lost a little time, but he may very well gain back much more than that against the other gc riders in the ITT. The big question is whether or not he can ride into better form as the race gets tougher. Obviously today's performance was worrisome for Froome supporters, but he's far from out.

Overall, the GC is wide open. I don't know why cycling fans would complain. It's looking like a great race.

Yep I'm pretty happy right now and not just because I'm Irish. I'm glad the guys that lit up the race in the first week all stayed in it today - if for example the GC top 4 tonight was Valverde/Froome/Quintana/Aru I don't think things would be nearly as interesting. Obviously, stage 11 could give teh GC a much more traditional look.

patrick767 said:
Gigs_98 said:
ice&fire said:
Gigs_98 said:
To all the "Aru has no chance because he has never climbed stronger than any other top tier rider" guys: In your face :cool:
He climbed 8 seconds faster. How many climbs does he need to compensate the 2+ minutes he'll lose in the ITT? :rolleyes:
He climbed 8 seconds faster on one kilometer, and the pace wasnt high so the riders weren't already exhausted when he attacked
edit: and the gc contenders this year are all extremely bad time trialists, now that froome has dropped, nibali was disqualified and everyone says that dumoulin doesnt have a chance anyways. He actually could even be one of the strongest ones.

Why would you count Froome out already? He lost a little time, but he may very well gain back much more than that against the other gc riders in the ITT. The big question is whether or not he can ride into better form as the race gets tougher. Obviously today's performance was worrisome for Froome supporters, but he's far from out.

Overall, the GC is wide open. I don't know why cycling fans would complain. It's looking like a great race.
The answer is the same. He lost this time on one kilometer although the pace wasnt high before. How much time would he have lost if Aru had attacked 3-4 kilometers earlier? Ofc everything is still possible and maybe he only had a bad day, but as it was already written earlier, the other sky guys didnt go back to him to pull him forward, so it seems like not even sky is sure if he can fight for the gc.

Tank Engine said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Majka finished well today and maybe it will turn out on CN that Niemiec finished second as well, since he's figured in the results all week. :)

p.s. They seem now to have corrected the results.

Apparently Richeze came second. Great ride from the sprinter :eek:

Escarabajo said:
Is it just me or everyone is on its own at team Sky!

They're going for the all important team competition ;)

Re:

Escarabajo said:
People will never be happy in this forum!!

Oh have you noticed? :)

Gc action was tame indeed, maybe people prefer a TDF first MTF with the sky train riding everybody home. Last time that happened everybody went beserk. Doesn't matter what happens, it's never good.
The andorra stage will provide the neccesary fireworks, no doubt.

Because of the slow Gc action we got to witness an extremely pleasant breakway final if you ask me. Constantly changing dynamics and everytime that I thought now Lindeman is gone for good were plenty. Yet he won, which as a dutchie is always pleasant.

I really like breakways surviving tbh. Gives the race 2 finals!

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Is it just me or everyone is on its own at team Sky!

Why not? People moan that Sky are too one dimensional and lack a plan b, now here they are giving riders a chance as Froome obviously doesn't have he legs. Makes sense to let Nieve and Roche do their own thing, I'm surprised Henao dropped easily today though.

Geraint Too Fast said:
Dutch guy wins...
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Tame stage.
nKABZzR.gif

Lol. Same reaction here when I read that.