• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Critérium du Dauphiné, 2.UWT, June 5-12

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
nice job Martin bumping porte off the podium. That's what he got for playing double sword, helping his ex-team mate. And he lost @3 sec. must be hurt.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
This would've been an uncategorized climb in Giro.

There was nothing wrong with the stage profile, we all knew it was 4km at 6%, and we all know that that isn't really a climb. But the climb before it was tough enough; not much you can do if everyone decides to sit on Tony Martin's wheel for the first 80% of that climb. Might have been for 95% of it without Contador.

But there is some justice. Alberto leads the world tour standings!! :D

Nice result for Porte , The Wheelsucker for excellence. He had a bit of bad luck cause he was stopped by Froome. But maybe if he helped Contador , Martin would not returned. But no, he is remaining passive as always...and he deserves this defeat

That was a little disappointing, mainly because I mistimed my morning and only caught the final 2km. Sounds like there was some carnage before, but I am unsure why neither Contador or Porte attacked in the last 2km.

LRP is frustrating. How goals for the race were presumably one of the following: 1) Win the Dauphine; 2) Get some race days in the legs and simulate various scenarios that might be encountered in the Tour, allowing some physiological and psychological adaptation before the Tour; or 3) A combination of 1 and 2. In any case, he should have attacked. The best I can recall, he never attacked. Disappointing. Not Tour champion mentality.

Froome looks like he will be in top form come July. He only looked like the truly dominant climber once, in his characteristic first stage high cadence Vroome attack, but 3rd in the MTT, top tens on sprint finishes, controlling the climbs with the Sky Train...he will be tough to beat.

There is reason to be hopeful as a Contador fan. The MTT and the relentless attacks throughout (see point 2 above for Richie Porte) show he still has the fighting spirit, he still has the raw climbing ability, and he is testing his legs in all sorts of situations. However, it is difficult to imagine him ascending to 2014 levels, relative to Froome, and even then he seemed a half step behind before their crashes. We'll see, though. In many ways a performance comparable to his pre-Tour victory Dauphines of yore.

Quite incredible that Bardet actually didn't screw that up with a premature ejaculation opening up of the sprint. Although it took a clumsy cough cough Froome to elbow Porte off the podium. (I suspect he did it on purpose in case Beta Porte decides to forget his position at the Tour).

TRENDING THREADS