• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Castelrotto – Alpe di Siusi 10.8 km MTT

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
This MTT is pretty regular. Those first 2 km of flat are somewhat trivial I think.

What winning time do we expect? 27 minutes or thereabouts? Is the time limit gonna be an issue?

Eshnar predicts about 25 in the preview
I think time differences will be bigger than people might expect after such a hard day yesterday and this climb is no joke.

25 minutes would be like 1880 VAM with WITH false flat.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Castelrotto – Alpe di Siusi 10.8 km

DBotero said:
I hope Kruijswijk will get this one.Zakarin maybe we'll have better luck this time and improve his GC position.
Looool, if zakarin crashes in a mountain... he should go home and never riding a bike again

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
This MTT is pretty regular. Those first 2 km of flat are somewhat trivial I think.

What winning time do we expect? 27 minutes or thereabouts? Is the time limit gonna be an issue?

I think time differences will be bigger than people might expect after such a hard day yesterday and this climb is no joke.

Then tell Eshnar he is stupid, I have no clue about these numbers

Eshnar said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

Then tell Eshnar he is stupid, I have no clue about these numbers

The Cronotabella in the website goes from 23' to 27'... so I'm not the only one predicting around 25'
Well I have no clue about it, I just simply answered his question with that I read in your preview and he seems to believe it will be a fair amount slower ;)

Re:

SeriousSam said:
You don't need special skills to do well in MTTs, other than knowing how to do an evenly paced effort.

Strongest climber wins. Those that do badly aren't climbing well.

Tipping Nibali. He wasn't much weaker than Chavez and Crushweak today, we know he has good recovery, he knows how to ride TTs.
Indeed. Nibali kept riding his own pace today and actually gained some seconds back near the summit of Valparola. He's good at pacing himself, but so is the diesel-engine Kruijswijk.

I think Chaves might lose 20-30 seconds, though - he's more of a punchy climber who excels psychologically in 'mass start' races. Could be wrong though - afterall Garzelli won the MTT to Kronplatz a few years back.

Valverde, on a good day, could also win the ITT because it's so short.

Kruijswijk to crush the weak.
Nibali is also well possible since after he dropped he lost hardly any time climbing. I don't think Chaves will win (although its of course not that unlikely) but to me he just doesnt seem to be such a good diesel climber like Kruijswijk who just sets one high pace on a climb and holds it. However I could easily be completely false since I always think that a climber who also is good in flat TT's will win but at the end that usually doesnt matter at all.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Kruijswijk to crush the weak.
Nibali is also well possible since after he dropped he lost hardly any time climbing. I don't think Chaves will win (although its of course not that unlikely) but to me he just doesnt seem to be such a good diesel climber like Kruijswijk who just sets one high pace on a climb and holds it. However I could easily be completely false since I always think that a climber who also is good in flat TT's will win but at the end that usually doesnt matter at all.

Like.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:

We already know from the ITT in Chianti that Eshnar predictions are a bit optimistic ;)

Say the first 1.8k take about 2.5 minutes (43.2kph on a false flat), then the part after that is 752m of altitude gain in about 9kms, so that's like 8.3%.

Final time Climbing time VAM (m/h)
22' 19.5' 2313.846154
23' 20.5' 2200.97561
24' 21.5' 2098.604651
25' 22.5' 2005.333333
26' 23.5' 1920
27' 24.5' 1841.632653
28' 25.5' 1769.411765
29' 26.5' 1702.641509
30' 27.5' 1640.727273

You make your guess

TRENDING THREADS