2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 10 Campi Bisenzio - Sestola 219km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
Mayomaniac said:
Arredondo said:
Valverde can win this Giro
That would be a huge surprise, maybe he'll win a pink wig.
In what sense would winning the Giro be a "huge surprise" for a guy who has won a GT in the past and podiumed a GT every year since 2012?
I don't think that he's good enough on a really hard stage in the high mountains to be a thread to Nibali. Podium and at least one stage win is a realistic goal, but I don't think that he's able to win the Giro in the high mountains.
 
Re:

Arredondo said:
Both big teams are messing this Giro up.

Astana are riding on the front for a team leader who isn't good enough atm to attack.

Movistar are **** up 3 possible stage wins + boni's for Valverde by not chasing the break.
You must have it all wrong, Rob Hatch said it was a masterpiece of tactical riding for Amador to gain all those seconds. Oh wait.
 
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
TMP402 said:
Mayomaniac said:
Arredondo said:
Valverde can win this Giro
That would be a huge surprise, maybe he'll win a pink wig.
In what sense would winning the Giro be a "huge surprise" for a guy who has won a GT in the past and podiumed a GT every year since 2012?
I don't think that he's good enough on a really hard stage in the high mountains to be a thread to Nibali. Podium and at least one stage win is a realistic goal, but I don't think that he's able to win the Giro in the high mountains.
2014 or 2013 Nibali I would agree completely, but Nibali just doesn't have the legs right now.
Maybe he'll improve before the third week. Maybe not. We'll see.

But bear one thing in mind. Valverde usually gets to the Tour/Vuelta tired from many races and several form peaks. Only on two occasions did that not happen. In 2009 he skipped the Tour, won the Vuelta. Last year he finished the Tour ahead of Nibali.
 
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Krokro said:
What a sad stage.
It's a medium mountain stage with a finish on a non-climb, before several hard mountain days to come.. What else did you expect? :)
Because in several recent medium mountain stages with not much flat in the last couple of years, the peloton has split to bits way out and we've had great stages. Next two days are pan flat so would have plenty of time to recover if a team decided to drill it. Very disappointed about Landa too.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Mayomaniac said:
TMP402 said:
Mayomaniac said:
Arredondo said:
Valverde can win this Giro
That would be a huge surprise, maybe he'll win a pink wig.
In what sense would winning the Giro be a "huge surprise" for a guy who has won a GT in the past and podiumed a GT every year since 2012?
I don't think that he's good enough on a really hard stage in the high mountains to be a thread to Nibali. Podium and at least one stage win is a realistic goal, but I don't think that he's able to win the Giro in the high mountains.
2014 or 2013 Nibali I would agree completely, but Nibali just doesn't have the legs right now.
Maybe he'll improve before the third week. Maybe not. We'll see.

But bear one thing in mind. Valverde usually gets to the Tour/Vuelta tired from many races and several form peaks. Only on two occasions did that not happen. In 2009 he skipped the Tour, won the Vuelta. Last year he finished the Tour ahead of Nibali.
But last year he rode quite a heavy schedule before the Tour.
 
Mar 13, 2015
2,637
0
0
Re: Re:

jaylew said:
Jancouver said:
Piti chasing his own teammate ... just to show who the boss is ... what an A$$
I hope you're kidding? The group had already brought AA back. Valverde picked up 4 secs on Nibali and many others.
No he's not. He just don't know much...
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
GuyIncognito said:
TMP402 said:
gregrowlerson said:
Wow, Uran was up there. Wouldn't have been surprised if he was the one who was dropped on the first climb of the day after that time trial....
Well I guess Uran got all his dropping done during the time trial.
A lot of people seem to not be aware he crashed.
Was that after or before the 1st intermediate check?
at 28 km
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
1955 ws the last time a Luxembourger led the giro - Charly Gaul
Thank you for posting this - Bob Jungels is no "angel of the mountains", but a worthy successor to Charly Gaul in many ways!
 
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
TMP402 said:
gregrowlerson said:
Wow, Uran was up there. Wouldn't have been surprised if he was the one who was dropped on the first climb of the day after that time trial....
Well I guess Uran got all his dropping done during the time trial.
A lot of people seem to not be aware he crashed.
He is much better in mountains than in TTs this year anyway. In Romandie he rode really horrible TT but was among the best on both mountain stages.
 
Mar 13, 2015
2,637
0
0
Re:

Arredondo said:
Both big teams are messing this Giro up.

Astana are riding on the front for a team leader who isn't good enough atm to attack.

Movistar are **** up 3 possible stage wins + boni's for Valverde by not chasing the break.
You're talking as if it is a done deal, winning a stage just like that. Valverde would need to bury his team, every one of them, and even than it's a huge question if he would be in position to challenge the stage. He would need to sacrifice Amador for instance, who is very valuable for him standing high in the GC. And even then, it would be very hard to control the late attacks from the favorites, I doubt Amador can do that.
I think he's feeling great, and just saving his team for the deciding stages.
 
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Both big teams are messing this Giro up.

Astana are riding on the front for a team leader who isn't good enough atm to attack.

Movistar are **** up 3 possible stage wins + boni's for Valverde by not chasing the break.
You're talking as if it is a done deal, winning a stage just like that. Valverde would need to bury his team, every one of them, and even than it's a huge question if he would be in position to challenge the stage. He would need to sacrifice Amador for instance, who is very valuable for him standing high in the GC. And even then, it would be very hard to control the late attacks from the favorites, I doubt Amador can do that.
I think he's feeling great, and just saving his team for the deciding stages.
Exactly this. Also I don't think Valverde is that interested in GT stages any more - even for the handful of seconds that a win would give him.

He's copying his tactics from the Tour de France last year when he didn't go really deep in the first week on stages like Mur de Bretagne or Mur de Huy - which he probably could have won - and, as a result, he was still going really strong in the high mountains in the final week.
 
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Both big teams are messing this Giro up.

Astana are riding on the front for a team leader who isn't good enough atm to attack.

Movistar are **** up 3 possible stage wins + boni's for Valverde by not chasing the break.
You're talking as if it is a done deal, winning a stage just like that. Valverde would need to bury his team, every one of them, and even than it's a huge question if he would be in position to challenge the stage. He would need to sacrifice Amador for instance, who is very valuable for him standing high in the GC. And even then, it would be very hard to control the late attacks from the favorites, I doubt Amador can do that.
I think he's feeling great, and just saving his team for the deciding stages.
Exactly this. Also I don't think Valverde is that interested in GT stages any more - even for the handful of seconds that a win would give him.

He's copying his tactics from the Tour de France last year when he didn't go really deep in the first week on stages like Mur de Bretagne or Mur de Huy - which he probably could have won - and, as a result, he was still going really strong in the high mountains in the final week.
I think he would definitely like to win a giro stage since he has never done that.
 
Aug 16, 2013
7,619
0
0
Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
Arredondo said:
Both big teams are messing this Giro up.

Astana are riding on the front for a team leader who isn't good enough atm to attack.

Movistar are **** up 3 possible stage wins + boni's for Valverde by not chasing the break.
You're talking as if it is a done deal, winning a stage just like that. Valverde would need to bury his team, every one of them, and even than it's a huge question if he would be in position to challenge the stage. He would need to sacrifice Amador for instance, who is very valuable for him standing high in the GC. And even then, it would be very hard to control the late attacks from the favorites, I doubt Amador can do that.
I think he's feeling great, and just saving his team for the deciding stages.
Come on, all the time you refer to the greatness and big sprint of Bala at the end of the stage. He's the best in the world in doing a great last km.

Of course it's clever to save your energies for the big stages in the Alps and Dolimites. But they could have taking initiative in at least one of the three stages. A stage win under the belt is always good, and means a bit less pressure. And some important time bonus.

You can lose the Giro with 16 seconds you know ;)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY