• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Gonchar fought for years to get his name listed on TV and official documents correctly. No dice, still got listed as Honchar.

Several times we had the ludicrous situation of a guy explaining into the microphone for the millionth time that it's Gonchar with a G while the caption on the bottom lists 'Serhiy Honchar'
Do you have a link to him saying it the Russian way? Because I distinctly remember everybody referred to him as "Gonchar" (or, well, "Gontchar"; French spellings are everywhere in cycling) back in 1997, and the later switch to "Honchar".

hrotha said:
GuyIncognito said:
Gonchar fought for years to get his name listed on TV and official documents correctly. No dice, still got listed as Honchar.

Several times we had the ludicrous situation of a guy explaining into the microphone for the millionth time that it's Gonchar with a G while the caption on the bottom lists 'Serhiy Honchar'
Do you have a link to him saying it the Russian way? Because I distinctly remember everybody referred to him as "Gonchar" (or, well, "Gontchar"; French spellings are everywhere in cycling) back in 1997, and the later switch to "Honchar".

Still no real consistency in reporting M Kadri as Blel rather than Biel.

hrotha said:
GuyIncognito said:

Pronouncing it? Nope. I just remember him saying it over and over
Google search only comes up with this

http://forums.bicycling.com/topic/54635607120413342

Armchair cyclist said:
hrotha said:
GuyIncognito said:

Still no real consistency in reporting M Kadri as Blel rather than Biel.

True.

It was changend by the Italians by mistake if I remember correctly?

Same like they made Eugeni Berzin out of Evgeni / Yevgeniy / Jevgenij. Although Eugeni is simply the Italian version (well Eugenio in fact) of the name which is known as Eugen here in Germany. Eugeni is what the Italians call him as well I guess!?