• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia, Stage 18: Muggiò - Pinerolo (240 km)

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I know we would all like to see stage 17 a few more times, but unfortunately we have to move on...

Eshnar said:
STAGE 18 Muggiò – Pinerolo 240 km

Stage start: 11.15 CET, 26 May

PW_T18_Pinerolo_alt-2.jpg

PW_T18_Pinerolo_plan-4.jpg

Technical Overview:
Here comes the longest stage of the race, just before the final couple of decisive stages. As a matter of fact, this stage can be included in the “decisive stage” definition, as it is far from easy. Starting from one of the many satellite-towns of Milan, the riders will head west all day long, going through Turin, where they'll be back on the last day, and will reach the town of Tivoli, and the second intermediat sprint, after 164 km of dead flat roads, slightly ascending only in the last 20 km. From there, the peloton will start to ride on a pretty rough terrain, culminating with the small, uncategorized climb of Coletta di Cumiana. After its descent, the riders will be only 20 km away from the mythical town of Pinerolo. Here, they will climb for the first time the cobbled wall of S.Maurizio (450m at 14.5%, max 20%), at 28 km to go. After that, they will leave Pinerolo and tackle another wall... this time a slightly bigger. The climb of Pramartino (4.65 km at 10.5%, GPM2) will be raced from the side that was descended in 2009 and 2011, much steeper than the other. The descent is very technical just like the other side, and ends 13 km to go. After 10 km of flat roads the riders will enter Pinerolo again, and will climb San Maurizio again, topping it at only 2 km to go. After 500m of a short but not easy downhill, the last 1.5 km are flat.

PW_T18_Pinerolo_ukm-3.jpg

The Climbs:

Pramartino GPM2
Featured in the Giro 2009 and the Tour 2011, this is the first time it will be climbed from the side of Pinerolo. This side is really something, with consistent 10% slopes from start to end.
PW_T18_S01_Pramartino-2.jpg

What to expect:
A big selection on Pramartino and the victory to be decided on the cobbles. Pramartino is very hard but I do not think the top gc guys will be able to attack each other. They may do so only on S.Maurizio, but in this case the gaps will be minimal.

This is a really hard stage for the GC contenders. Just sitting in the peloton for five hours pedaling easily in Z1, trying to avoid the kind of pile-ups which happen in such stages. Then all of a sudden they have 30km of brutally hard racing.

Think someone will blow up big time here (probably Nibali again!)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Actually one of the worst stages for Kruijswijk.

Have much more faith in him for the big Alpine stages. This one he could easily drop some seconds

Relax man, he's got 3 minutes. Who cares about a few seconds :D

And he ain't losing more than that. Maybe Chaves/Valverde/Explosive guys can get a few seconds on the wall because they are more explosive than Kruijswijk, but that's the worst that can happen.

Theoretically they could try something on the descent as well I guess, but that won't do it for them either. :p

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Actually one of the worst stages for Kruijswijk.

Have much more faith in him for the big Alpine stages. This one he could easily drop some seconds

Relax man, he's got 3 minutes. Who cares about a few seconds :D

And he ain't losing more than that. Maybe Chaves/Valverde/Explosive guys can get a few seconds on the wall because they are more explosive than Kruijswijk, but that's the worst that can happen.

Theoretically they could try something on the descent as well I guess, but that won't do it for them either. :p
i am 100% sure that kruijswijk will retain the commanding gc after the stage. yep, 100% sure.

could his margin erode a bit ? quite possible, as i don't see a power climber like steven being at his best on those insane grades...many people think that b/c steven is dutch he must be 'tall and big'. in fact, he's a shorty by any dutch standards for a man his age (1.78 m, 66 kg). while not as light as pure climbers, those metrics are actually ideal for for a grand tour winner.

given no accidents, steven will do fine tomorrow...the stage winner, though ? laplaz, imo, got it right.
Laplaz said:
Foliforov ftw!

If Nibali has a better day, this could be a good stage for him. I think they'll have to go after him if the does attack and they will know he will do a dare-devil descent and keep the momentum. It's a looong stage and the climb coming at 200+ km's will be nasty if they do decide to race up it for the GC, bu they they also know the last two stages are brutal so we'll see what they do.