• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia, Stage 18: Muggiò - Pinerolo (240 km)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If nothing happens in the next 2 stages, this giro only had 3 really good stages for the GC (and just in general) and one of them was a timetrail

Re:

Taxus4a said:
Why Valverde stop everytime the leader lose some meters and he sprint at the end for nothing??
Clearly because he doesn't want to put in a hard 2km effort leading everyone out for no gain. On the other hand, given his anaerobic power, he probably feels that making everyone do a short sprint will take less out of him than his rivals.

Clipboard_zps8opa35fa.gif

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Volderke said:
epic fail from Moser. Not even in the now that Trentin was coming...?

Easy to say typing on a forum. What could he do?

Not easy to win, I agree, but it seemed to me he didn't even see Trentin coming. A better look over his shoulder or his DS warning him could have resulted in an earlier sprint. Now Moser didn't sprint with Trentin in mind, just waiting to cover Brambilla (executing this perfectly).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Eurosport thinks the Nibs/Majka convo was them making plans for tomorrow. Majka was probably just asking Nibs to get in front and take a pull so he could follow him to the team buses.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Valverde has a long history of negative racing, I don't know why that surprises.

I think he would've been a much more interesting rider if he didn't have that great sprint —he relies on it too much.

Re:

luckyboy said:
These next stages don't look great for any race-changing action. Needs multi-mountains instead of just two with a massive descent between them.
What? They are huge stages. 8,000m of climbing in the next two days - with a lot at high altitide. A 35km climb like Agnello is surely better for action that three 10km climbs, where everyone can get back on in the descents between them.

Re-watched the last 2K. They were freewheeling. Moser thought he could start from 40k/h sprinting in the last 200m while he didn't even check if someone was coming. So the moment he was passed by Trentin at 60k/h, he was only doing 40... So still epic fail in my book.
If I am riding at 35K and a scooter passes at 55K, I start sprinting when the scooter is like 100 meters behind or I never catch him.
In the heat of the battle not easy to hear your DS in the ear or look behind to check, but still, I call it an epic fail.

Re:

luckyboy said:
These next stages don't look great for any race-changing action. Needs multi-mountains instead of just two with a massive descent between them.
It sounds strange but the flat between Agnello and Rissoul is probably a bigger problem for Kruijswijk as another pass would be. On a climb he can just follow because he is the strongest, but if someone drops him on a descent and has riders in front who pull the attacker over the flat Kruijswijk could loose a lot of time

Re:

Miburo said:
If nothing happens in the next 2 stages, this giro only had 3 really good stages for the GC (and just in general) and one of them was a timetrail

There is only one rider with serious balls, and he's out of form...
Pretty sure that both Chaves and Valverde are content with their podium, so that's it.
Maybe Zakarin, but maybe not, we'll see.
I sure hope for some fireworks.

Arredondo said:
Miburo said:

You always find a way to complain ;)

What is he complaining about? The comment is purely stating subjective assessment of the stages so far without any emotional involvement.

I don't understand what Valverde did wrong. There was no reason for him to spend more energy than others for a couple of additional seconds because it wouldn't have mattered much. Everyone wants to save as much as possible for tomorrow.

Climbing said:
Miburo said:

There is only one rider with serious balls, and he's out of form...
Pretty sure that both Chaves and Valverde are content with their podium, so that's it.
Maybe Zakarin, but maybe not, we'll see.
I sure hope for some fireworks.
Valverde and Chaves will certainly battle each other for second place. If their battle puts Kruijswijk in any kind of difficulty, then it's game on.

Re:

Beech Mtn said:
Eurosport thinks the Nibs/Majka convo was them making plans for tomorrow. Majka was probably just asking Nibs to get in front and take a pull so he could follow him to the team buses.

Majka will attack tommorow. My bet though is that it won't happen until mid-way up Risoul. I think he believes that Valverde, possibly Chaves and Nibali can be dropped

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

togo95 said:
Arredondo said:
Miburo said:

You always find a way to complain ;)

What is he complaining about? The comment is purely stating subjective assessment of the stages so far without any emotional involvement.

look at the word 'only' ;)

Arredondo said:
Taxus4a said:
Why Valverde stop everytime the leader lose some meters and he sprint at the end for nothing??

The enigma Valverde
Nah, he's just trying to gain a few seconds on Chaves and put him under a bit of pressure. That's who he was testing both times. He's 23 seconds down, and has a better shot in the short steep stuff and in the sprints than in the high altitude.