• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 La Flèche Wallonne - April 20th - 196k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will conquer the Mur?

• Joaquim Rodriguez

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dan Martin

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 45 46.4%
  • Daniel Moreno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philippe Gilbert

• Sergio Henao

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Michael Albasini

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Julian Alaphilippe

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Enrico Gasparotto

• Other (say below)

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Judging from his comments, Valverde considers the Giro to be the more important objective and will likely be off his best, and indeed, departing from the schedule that saw him dominate in 2014 and 2015 is unlikely to be ideal.

I think the odds overstate his chances a bit.

I know it's only 5-10 minutes of action but the finale up the Mur de Huy is one of my favorite cycling moments of the year. I
Same here

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Judging from his comments, Valverde considers the Giro to be the more important objective and will likely be off his best, and indeed, departing from the schedule that saw him dominate in 2014 and 2015 is unlikely to be ideal.

I know it's only 5-10 minutes of action but the finale up the Mur de Huy is one of my favorite cycling moments of the year. I
Same here

What a surprise...not. :p

I still think he is the big fav for this race....of course he's going to talk down on his chances. Martin and Henao to give him the most trouble.

Probably my favourite race of the AGR-FW-LBL week. I pity the fools who after years of following cycling still haven't learned which parts of a race to watch, only to later complain that it was boring. Here's some advice, only watch the interesting parts. You have time schedules, race profiles and startlists at your disposal, that's all you really need tbh.

Re:

swissfr said:
Henao winning a race?
LOL

latest

saganftw said:
henao to beat the other henao to the line

the defeated one being Sergio, I guess...

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Same here
Its Valverde though. Dude has been riding ridiculous schedules at full peak for years.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

kingjr said:
Probably my favourite race of the AGR-FW-LBL week. I pity the fools who after years of following cycling still haven't learned which parts of a race to watch, only to later complain that it was boring. Here's some advice, only watch the interesting parts. You have time schedules, race profiles and startlists at your disposal, that's all you really need tbh.

Just because you found a good way to cope with a problem, doesn't mean it isn't a problem anymore. :)

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:

Same here
Its Valverde though. Dude has been riding ridiculous schedules at full peak for years.

José-Luis Arrieta: "Whatever the race, Valverde is always in shape. Even when he shows up on day one of a winter training camp, he’s at his best. And as usual, he’s again super motivated by this week, even though his race calendar has changed this year."

:cool:

search said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:

Same here

José-Luis Arrieta: "Whatever the race, Valverde is always in shape. Even when he shows up on day one of a winter training camp, he’s at his best. And as usual, he’s again super motivated by this week, even though his race calendar has changed this year."

Godlike quote. :cool:

search said:
The Hitch said:
SeriousSam said:

Same here

Yep....I'm sure he's also thinking about the record amount of FW's.

Alex must have regretted being in Spain when he saw the finish of Amstel. It will be harder competition tomorrow, but he has to be the favourite. I hope Danny boy is in position at the bottom of the last ascent of the Mur.

1. Alex
2. Dan
3. Sergio

I've always liked the climax at Muur de Huy despite the vast criticism of the race.
So much miscalculated efforts and as many masterful pacings made this finish one of my favourites.

It would be nice to see the sprint of a select group, for a change... With the bunch closing from behind.
Pacing, waiting, timing, nerves... You know what I mean. We've seen it numerous times at the flats.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Ulissi finished 7th in AGR and he's usually way better in FW, he could do something.
Another Valverde win would be kinda boring, but as long as it isn't Albasini I'm ok with it.

Should be fun with Bala, Purito, Henao all going for it with Martin, Alaphilippe, Wellens and Albasini trying to get in amongst the best and a few others also, like Ulissi who recently said he has a great chance of winning (I'm doubtful but we'll see). Can't watch it live do I look forward to the highlights.