• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Omloop het Nieuwsblad, Feb 27th, 200.8km, 1.HC

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Flamin said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Look, you had two horses vs mine one. Obviously you will win our "battle" more often than I would.

That would be true if those three were equal favourites, but if I thought one of the three was the obvious favourite, I would bet on that one 100% of the time.
Well, that would depend on the odds given wouldn't it? :)

There were no odds in this case, so :) (or they were equal)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

DFA123 said:
Looks like familiar old problems for Sagan in the classics. Unlike Kristoff, Degenkolb or GVA, he just can't produce his best sprint after working hard during a race.
I'd say Sagan rode untactically, did too much work hence he couldnt produce good spurt. Too much self confidence or stupidity, od both, or something else?

alspacka said:
rehy90 said:
It really looks like Sagan has problems to keep his sprinting on the highest level after such efforts...anyway, great to see the rainbow jersey fighting for the win, it could be a great spring

Bluffing so he doesn't get marked out of the sprint in the big ones :)

If only.... :p
I'm sure he'll continue to gain form over the next couple of weeks, but GVA, Cancellara, and Kristoff will as well.

Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Looks like familiar old problems for Sagan in the classics. Unlike Kristoff, Degenkolb or GVA, he just can't produce his best sprint after working hard during a race.
I'd say Sagan rode untactically, did too much work hence he couldnt produce good spurt. Too much self confidence or stupidity, od both, or something else?

He certainly did do a fair bit of work today. He's no wheel sucker by nature, and that's just one reason why I really like him, but he can sit in and conserve energy if he needs to. Perhaps today was just early season boyish enthusiasm got the better of him?

Hugo Koblet said:
TMP402 said:
lemon cheese cake said:
TMP402 said:
I really wouldn't count Rowe out in the sprint.
Rowe won that Tour of Britain stage in a dprint when Cav crashed in the finale.

And beat Kristoff in Roubaix last year - although to be fair I don't remember if Kristoff tried hard/at all.
Didn't he also outsprint Kristoff here last year?

Yeah, he did. He definitely has a sprint on him it's just that riding in the wheels (as he did last year at OHN with Stannard off the front) is a completely different matter to riding hard for 55km and then sprinting.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Good win for Greg. Good result for the rainbow kit (this race obviously wasn't a target based on his training/racing schedule).
It was a small gap and nobody is going to drag Sagan to the line. He had to do as much work as he could and still have enough to win. He almost got it right. He's a bit like GVA in that he's all around enough to always be in the mix but to win it pays to be more specialized in your talent.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

Orbit501 said:
Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:

He certainly did do a fair bit of work today. He's no wheel sucker by nature, and that's just one reason why I really like him, but he can sit in and conserve energy if he needs to. Perhaps today was just early season boyish enthusiasm got the better of him?
I 've different opinion. He really wastes energy race after race, season after season.

Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:

What a post from a fan of another Tinkoff rider. :mad:

Self confidence or stupidity or both? WTF

Man, this is just first race after hard training camp. He is just testing himself. What and excellent test BTW.

I am pretty glad he has not won today. He showed others that he is beatable and that it can pay off the cooperation with him in break.

Dec 22, 2015
www.youtube.com
I hope that GVA sets a series of win, starting with this one, then going for M-S, Flanders and Amstel.
Gougeard was the strongest of the race imo.
Benoot, well...
Sagan will definitely be on top after Tirreno.
Let's hope Gilbert is ok after the crash.

Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Well the problem Sagan had today was that he had to work, or he would have lost anyway. He was expected to be the strongest in the sprint and if he hadn't helped GVA and the other riders in the front group they simply wouldnt have worked too and the peloton would have caught them. And obviously in that case he wouldnt have won as well.
Nevertheless, Sagan maybe lost the sprint, but Kristoff wasnt even in the peloton and I'd rather take a good shape and bad sprinting than a bad shape and the ability to do a sprint for 50th place.

Gigs_98 said:
Kokoso said:
DFA123 said:
Well the problem Sagan had today was that he had to work, or he would have lost anyway. He was expected to be the strongest in the sprint and if he hadn't helped GVA and the other riders in the front group they simply wouldnt have worked too and the peloton would have caught them. And obviously in that case he wouldnt have won as well.
Nevertheless, Sagan maybe lost the sprint, but Kristoff wasnt even in the peloton and I'd rather take a good shape and bad sprinting than a bad shape and the ability to do a sprint for 50th place.
Yeah, it seems the problem is that he just doesn't have the ability to go on a long break and finish it off against any other half decent sprinter. He should probably sit tight and play it like the WC, going for a late break or even just waiting for the sprint. The downside then is that you are at the mercy of other riders and what the break can do, rather than trying to make your own race.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Boonen is washed up sadly enough. Don't expect anything from him anymore.

Sagan or GVA, those were the guys i was cheering for. So nice result :D

PremierAndrew said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
Miburo said:
Boonen is washed up sadly enough. Don't expect anything from him anymore.

Sagan or GVA, those were the guys i was cheering for. So nice result :D

There's something left for Boonen, Writing him down would be foolish

It's a risk i'd be more than willing to take ngl

He's simply past it

Yep, its got to the point where he really should be working for Stybar or Terpstra. He just doesn't have either the engine or the sprint any more to seriously threaten.