• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 10: Escaldes-Engordany → Revel (197km)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DFA123 said:
Well played Orica. Deserved that in the end for perfect tactics. Sagan played into their hands a bit, responding to all the attacks so aggressively.

Sagan has the green to think about. 2nd place actually is better then 3rd or lower for him
Yeah, fair point. Still think he could have won the stage though if he'd just held a bit back. Also, probably not a good idea to split the break in the first place - got too outnumbered by Orica as a result.

Re:

Andro said:
Pretty awful tactics by Orica, they almost threw away the win despite having 3 riders, but Michael Gerrans managed to save it in the end.

No idea what GVA was doing.
They only nearly lost it because Matthews got boxed in. But he was so much fresher than everyone else, that he still won pretty comfortably in the end. I'd say that's the mark of excellent tactics - keeping your sprinter fresh for the finale.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Great win by Matthews. Wheelsucking? Come on! I'm not sure OGE's tactics today were the best but it panned out at the end after all. Sagan spent way too much energy. I think he's becoming too self-confident. What was GVA doing?

That's not a great win, it would have been a big fail if he didn't with the rider advantage.

Sagan weighed up that the points for 2nd-3rd were worth more than an all or nothing approach for the stage.

Re:

Krokro said:
I understand basic tactics and how Orica perfectly played it. But I surely can dislike that panache-less win. Anyway, great breakaway action at the end of the day.
Blame the other four guys then for not winning with panache. Everyone there knew what Orica's plan was and no-one did anything near enough to disrupt it. GVA, EBH or Sagan should have gone on a hard attack immediately after Impey had been brought back from one of his attacks - then we'd have seen what Matthews was made of.

Re: Re:

trucido said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Great win by Matthews. Wheelsucking? Come on! I'm not sure OGE's tactics today were the best but it panned out at the end after all. Sagan spent way too much energy. I think he's becoming too self-confident. What was GVA doing?

That's not a great win, it would have been a big fail if he didn't with the rider advantage.

Sagan weighed up that the points for 2nd-3rd were worth more than an all or nothing approach for the stage.
When you're in a break with Nibali, GVA, Sagan, Hagen, Costa and Cummings it's a great win no matter how you look at it.

TRENDING THREADS