• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Andro said:
What is Greipel doing? He's 200 points behind the green jersey, so that can't be it. Is he really just there to fetch bottles for De Gendt?

My preferred answer is that Andre gets bored very, very easily, which is why he always seems to be getting in random breaks. Perhaps a more plausible answer is that he's concerned that the GC teams will hammer it in the crosswinds, meaning the gruppetto which will form up Ventoux will be very tired and more likely to get caught out of the time cut. By getting in the break, you might be better positioned going into the climb.

Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Andro said:
What is Greipel doing? He's 200 points behind the green jersey, so that can't be it. Is he really just there to fetch bottles for De Gendt?

My preferred answer is that Andre gets bored very, very easily, which is why he always seems to be getting in random breaks. Perhaps a more plausible answer is that he's concerned that the GC teams will hammer it in the crosswinds, meaning the gruppetto which will form up Ventoux will be very tired and more likely to get caught out of the time cut. By getting in the break, you might be better positioned going into the climb.

a time cut is not an issue in single climb stage

I'm actually surprised there aren't more polka dot contenders in the break. The winner will get 50 points.

Anyway I think this big advantage of the break could be another sign that Froome isn't super strong. Whenever he has gone all out in a stage Sky caught the break before and it was about the stage win too. Is it possible that he really fears that Quintana will just be stronger on the climbs?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
10 minutes now. Game over. Navarro wins.

50kmph on the flat for a couple of hours isn't necessarily an ideal run up for Navarro ...

Wonder if Greipel is keeping the pace hard to wear out the pure climbers for DeGent.

Valv.Piti said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Red Rick said:
Did the chasing group make it?

Valv.Piti said:
Please, please, please, Sky or Movistar, catch the break. I don't want to see some irrelevant rider like Pauwels, Navarro and especially not Chris A win on this MTF
You better prepare for it. They're not gonna catch the break.

What makes you think that? How about BMC? Please. :( :(
Because noone is chasing. But don't worry about Chris Anker Sørensen, he's got no chance of winning.

Hugo Koblet said:
Valv.Piti said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Red Rick said:
Did the chasing group make it?

Valv.Piti said:
Please, please, please, Sky or Movistar, catch the break. I don't want to see some irrelevant rider like Pauwels, Navarro and especially not Chris A win on this MTF
You better prepare for it. They're not gonna catch the break.

What makes you think that? How about BMC? Please. :( :(
Because noone is chasing. But don't worry about Chris Anker Sørensen, he's got no chance of winning.

Yeah well some might later on, but its a relatively big break.. And how about crosswinds? That will surely up the pace.
Of course he won't, but the Danish commentators will hype him and get disappointed when he drops early (which actually is fun). Hoping for TEKLAHAIMANOT if the break succeeds.

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Chris Anker being in the break means I probably won't tune in before Ventoux starts. The Danish commentators are going to overhype him so much the entire broadcast, even though he's nowhere near good enough to win the stage even from this break. It's unbearable.

TRENDING THREADS