• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Can anyone who knows it tell me if it's forbidden to run without a bike?

NO. Some idiotic poster didn't know the rules and started spreading misinformation.

You can run, but you have to cross finish line with bike.

Adam Yates sportingly admitted that he didn't want to take yellow as a consequence of the chaos and Froome's time loss.

"I wouldn’t really want to take the yellow jersey like that, so I’m happy with the decision," he said.

"If I was in Froome’s position and I’d lost the jersey like that, I’d have wanted the same decision as him. It was pretty dangerous in the last kilometre but the fans make the sport and there’s not many sports where fans can get so close to the athletes. It is what it is. I wouldn’t have wanted to take the jersey like that. Froome is the rightful owner of the yellow jersey."

Speaking post-stage, Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) showed little sentiment for Froome.

"It's an accident of the race but these things happen in sport. They hit the moto and fell, but these things happen in cycling.”

“We tried to save things as best we could. There's an interesting time trial coming tomorrow. "

Lol.

PhiberAwptik said:
The Death Merchant said:
Froome keeps the yellow! Well that's it, I'm not watching this **** anymore. They are in Sky's pocket. They want to make Froome the winner no matter what. I'm not going to waste any more of my time with this ****.

This is a ridiculous reaction. You should be embarassed.

This is a ridiculous comment. You shoud be embarrassed.
There. I can write a pointless comment too.

What ASO did today was the ridiculous reaction. They should be embarrassed. When Flecha and Hoogerland were on a breakaway and were hit by a tv car (don't remember what year that was), ASO did nothing. But now that it's their beloved Froome...

Re: Re:

Lynton said:
infeXio said:
Lynton said:
The Hitch said:
In 2011 stage 1 Contador's group got taken out by a spectator on a flat stage. He lost 1.20 and without that loss he would have been on the podium.

Why should spectators taking out riders suddenly be neutralised if its never been before?

I have lost a lot of respect for Quintana. What happened to not attacking an opponent that has suffered a mechanical or other misfortune as is the unwritten rule? Prior to the Porte/Froome crash Quintana had been dropped and was not going to be able to respond, he was loosing time on both of them. He should not have intentionally profited from their misfortune, that is just not done. Just another sign cycling is losing its traditions and etiquette.

Are you serious? :lol:

Did you expect Quintana to just climb off his bike and walk up the mountain holding hands with Froome? :confused:
Not holding hands, thanks for being condescending. He could have waited for him and not gained on his misfortune. It has been done in cycling many times and is the respectful thing to do. He had no right to be in front of Froome or Porte.

Once again; are you serious? :lol:

The race was on; should Quintana all by his lonesome wait for Froome while the rest of the group of favourites just ride off gaining time? I'm at a loss for words..

The Hitch said:
Fans who boo Froome are probably booing him for the wider fraud that he is, nothing to do with this incident. He's been booed before, that's why sky had to invent the urine narative to make the fans who boo him out to be bad

geargbest said:
Froome must be the most hated cyclist ever, just listened to the Tour crowd and talking from experience its not many within cycling outside of UK (the UK people on its own how shown how smart of a people they are so lets not get into that....) which like this guy....And im sorry to say to the Froome fanboys its not for nothing so many people does not trust him lets just leave it by that.

Disgraceful decision by the jury but at the same time im also kinda happy cause it was just to much of a cluster****

Imagine not only thinking this, but typing it.

Re:

qwertyuser said:
As a neutral viewer of the tour this is probably a fair result. However what bothers me is the free interpretation of the rules. Because if Mollema was the one running up that hill the results would not be changed. This is just because it is Froome. This TDF is really sad to watch. When someone else falls nobody waits. However when two nobody's from Sky fall everyone waits.
What are you basing this claim on?

What insider knowledge do you have of alternate dimensions where Mollema was running up that hill?

Are you on the ASO jury that made the decision or do you have insight into that process?

Why aren't we using your clairvoyance to make money on the stock market instead of discussing bitterly mad hateful opinions of Chris Froome?

Gloin22 said:
DFA123 said:
carolina said:
froome was using the lighter version of the dogma F8. it can only be used by cyclists that weight less then 70 kg. it's a more fragile frame.
So he sacrificed the strength and integrity of his equipment while chasing a marginal gain. Then when said equipment fails on him, he gets ASO to adjust his time.

Based on that evidence, this decision really stinks.

Ehm being crashed by motorbike is definitely not included in strength and integrity of a bike...

His frame broke crashing at low speed into another rider. A super lightweight frame that can only support 70kg, so is basically going to come to grief in any impact. Surely, having reaped the benfits from such a light bike, he has to face the consequences when it lets him down.

Still, a good advert for BMC and especially Trek. They'll have grabbed a few customers from Pinarello today.

Gigs_98 said:

Not forbidden. You have to finish on a bike. It was earlier this year at a regional event in the U.S. a racer borrowed someone's old mountain bike to finish the stage. Get across the line on a bike.

BTW, I thought what Froome did was pretty clear thinking. He knew it was going to be a while, so why not?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Fight.The.Power said:
huangho said:
This is it!!

CnVmqnkXgAAogOu.jpg

WOW !!

Thanks for posting.

FOUR FKN MOTOS !!!!!

Fans didn't help ...

... but that's 99% the motorbikes fault. Again. Wowza.

Re:

huangho said:
Four motos on a small road... Not even to take a single pic because they were too close to each other!!

Not a fan, not a flag, not a selfie, not a drunkie but four motos in straight line too close to each other!!

Blame it to the organization!!

The motos can't just *** disappear. The spectators just crowded way too far into the road.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

huangho said:
Four motos on a small road... Not even to take a single pic because they were too close to each other!!

Not a fan, not a flag, not a selfie, not a drunkie but four motos in straight line too close to each other!!

Blame it to the organization!!

True but we don't know if this was taken immediately before the crash do we ?

Re:

TMP402 said:
Adam Yates sportingly admitted that he didn't want to take yellow as a consequence of the chaos and Froome's time loss.

"I wouldn’t really want to take the yellow jersey like that, so I’m happy with the decision," he said.

"If I was in Froome’s position and I’d lost the jersey like that, I’d have wanted the same decision as him. It was pretty dangerous in the last kilometre but the fans make the sport and there’s not many sports where fans can get so close to the athletes. It is what it is. I wouldn’t have wanted to take the jersey like that. Froome is the rightful owner of the yellow jersey."

Speaking post-stage, Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) showed little sentiment for Froome.

"It's an accident of the race but these things happen in sport. They hit the moto and fell, but these things happen in cycling.”

“We tried to save things as best we could. There's an interesting time trial coming tomorrow. "

Lol.

Valverde was taken advantage of by froome in 2012 costing him the vuelta, so its understandable he takes that position.

The Death Merchant said:
PhiberAwptik said:
The Death Merchant said:
Froome keeps the yellow! Well that's it, I'm not watching this **** anymore. They are in Sky's pocket. They want to make Froome the winner no matter what. I'm not going to waste any more of my time with this ****.

This is a ridiculous reaction. You should be embarassed.

This is a ridiculous comment. You shoud be embarrassed.
There. I can write a pointless comment too.

What ASO did today was the ridiculous reaction. They should be embarrassed. When Flecha and Hoogerland were on a breakaway and were hit by a tv car (don't remember what year that was), ASO did nothing. But now that it's their beloved Froome...

Yes, no difference at all between the two incidents. This forum gets worse.

Flecha was riding for Sky then btw. I assume ASO hadn't yet been corrupted by EVIL SKY.

DirtyWorks said:
Gigs_98 said:

Not forbidden. You have to finish on a bike. It was earlier this year at a regional event in the U.S. a racer borrowed someone's old mountain bike to finish the stage. Get across the line on a bike.

So, hypothetically, what if you crash right before the line, the momentum carries you over the line, but the bike stops before the line? Do you get the time that you flew over the line, or the time when you cross it after going back to get back on your bike?

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

The Hitch said:
Lynton said:
I have lost a lot of respect for Quintana. What happened to not attacking an opponent that has suffered a mechanical or other misfortune as is the unwritten rule?
There is no such rule. You just invented it.

In fact, if there was such a rule, Froome and Sky would not have attacked QUintana's teammate Valverde in the 2012 Vuelta when he had a mechanical, thereby costing him 1 minute and the eventual win

No there is no written rule but it is a long standing rule of etiquette and to intentionally benefit out of a incident of misfortune like this is considered poor form, at least it used to be until cycling started losing it traditions.

DirtyWorks said:
The Death Merchant said:

Were you watching the sport when Armstrong was wiping the floor at the TdF? Same sport, different guy wearing a GC leader's jersey. This time, ASO is making good money at it.

I find it odd that nobody has noted that it's the FRAME, not the fork that's been broken.

TRENDING THREADS