• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was going to happen sooner rather than later. It's being threatening to happen for years. They should have have moved the barriers down and didn't.

It was a bad day for Aso but the PR they are getting from it is mental. People who don't care about cycling are talking about it etc. They will be laughing.

I can't see any other decision that could have been made but to give the Dawg and Co the time back. I've been thinking of a fair way of doing it and just can't. But this is a dangerous precedent I think as riders will try it on now.

But Cookson may finally act on the motos too.

Bavarianrider said:
Absurd is going over the Alps and Pyrennes on 30 kilo bikes with no shfting. Yet they did it.
That's still a bike race, just with lousy bikes.

Bavarianrider said:
Absurd is going down mountai rioads with 100km/h. Yet they are doing it every day.
That's still a bike race, just fast.

Bavarianrider said:
Wind on the Ventoux is nothing compared to that.- Today was a chance for an epic stage that makes the tour what it is. Instead we got one of the most disgraceful days of cycling. but okay, I see that most eope won't see that on a Froome fanboy forum.

At that point it's not a bike race any more. You've obviously never cycled in conditions like that - it's completely impossible to cycle a bike - you can put your head on the stem and your hands on the drops pedal with the brakes half pulled at lower wind speeds, but at those speeds you just have to get off the bike (especially with gusts), and it's very hard to even walk in clipless pedals without falling over.

Last year I was stopped at traffic lights, with my foot down, with a stopped car on my right and me and my bike were blown onto the bonnet of the car. That was at lower wind speeds than the top of Ventoux today.

From Twitter:

CnWu3WUWcAAWRoV.jpg

Looks the the first moto had a clear run and was just going too slow. Why were there 4 motos anyway?

lololol if you rewatch the stage you can see how Valverde is clearly dropped form the Quintana/Yates/Aru group and at the finish he was still not in that group but for some strange reason he is put in same time as Yates
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what a farce this is.

This is crap ,what a way to ruin the great race.This is turning into a joke of a race.to windy.lol...moto crash neutral race what a crock of s...first time in 23 years im wanting to give up on the sport I love.enough is enough...

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
For those that carried on like I was a fool and inventing rules when I criticised Quintana for profiting out of the misfortune of the yellow jersey and and another GC contender.

"Normally when you see a big GC guy in trouble the gentleman thing to do would be to stop and wait and regroup," said the 27-year-old. "You saw that a lot in the past but these days people just seem to want to take advantage of it."

It seems Van Garderen agrees with me.

Re:

Lynton said:
For those that carried on like I was a fool and inventing rules when I criticised Quintana for profiting out of the misfortune of the yellow jersey and and another GC contender.

"Normally when you see a big GC guy in trouble the gentleman thing to do would be to stop and wait and regroup," said the 27-year-old. "You saw that a lot in the past but these days people just seem to want to take advantage of it."

It seems Van Garderen agrees with me.

lololol no one waited when Aru had a mechanical did they?

Bavarianrider said:
So basically

- the ASO cancells the top of Ventoux because today's riders can't even fight trough a little wind
- Team Sky crashes => Froome neutralizes the race
-Froome crashes and breakes all rules by running => ASO gives Froome a massive time bonus

What a **** joke this formerly epic race has become. :eek: :eek: So sad to see :eek:

Or, in reality, broke no rules by running.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpF9UnG3kfU

Looks like the first moto wanted to get closer to the action, slowed down in a stupid place, and caused a pileup.

As someone who has been at multiple tour stages, I still can't understand the need for spectators to stand, literally, in the middle of the road.

TMP402 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So basically

- the ASO cancells the top of Ventoux because today's riders can't even fight trough a little wind
-Froome crashes and breakes all rules by running => ASO gives Froome a massive time bonus

What a **** joke this formerly epic race has become. :eek: :eek: So sad to see :eek:

POint 14 of the regulations is quite clear. Anyone who tries to do (part of) the course without a bike should be eliminated.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Billie said:
TMP402 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So basically

POint 14 of the regulations is quite clear. Anyone who tries to do (part of) the course without a bike should be eliminated.

Can you quote that point?

Point 14 is intended to stop secret car/train trips like in the early days of cycling. Not running when a TV moto has run over your bike. Intent matters. Unless you're like that old Onion headline.

Jurisprudence fetishist gets off on technicality.

Re:

huangho said:
This is the closest footage I have seen so far...

The only clear thing is that there were too many people, the bikes were too close to each other, and there are people that wants to film the wheel number or something, ridicously near.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e2CZBjFJIY

Cellphones are extremelly dangerous...

Nice footage, it seems the driver of the TV motorbike they piled into takes his eyes off the road by looking to the left for some reason. Did he run into someone for that reason? Very dangerous thing to do (taking your eyes off the road) ever so briefly as I found the other day...

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

TMP402 said:
TMP402 said:
https://twitter.com/noswielrennen/status/753685957501739008

It's funny, I don't remember seeing Froome run with his original bike at all, I just remember him put it to the side and then run.

A later replay shows the first part of his run, with bike, and shows how he places it against a motorcycle.

Billie said:
TMP402 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So basically

It's not as clear as you claim. It says:
"Willfull deviation from the course, attempt to be placed without having covered the entire course by bycicle, resuming the race after having received a lift in a vehicle or on a motorbike."
Meanwhile, other UCI rules say:
Unless otherwise stated, each rider shall, in order to be classified, complete the race entirely through
his own effort, without the assistance of any other person.
The rider may cross the finish line on foot, provided that has his bicycle with him.
(text modified on 1.01.05).

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

webvan said:
huangho said:
This is the closest footage I have seen so far...

The only clear thing is that there were too many people, the bikes were too close to each other, and there are people that wants to film the wheel number or something, ridicously near.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e2CZBjFJIY

Cellphones are extremelly dangerous...

Nice footage, it seems the driver of the TV motorbike they piled into takes his eyes off the road by looking to the left for some reason. Did he run into someone for that reason? Very dangerous thing to do (taking your eyes off the road) ever so briefly as I found the other day...

Well, this footage at least shows Porte wasn't dropping Froome at that moment, like some claimed was happening.

WillemS said:
Billie said:
TMP402 said:
Bavarianrider said:
So basically

Can you quote that point?

Wilful deviation from the course, attempt to be placed without having covered the entire course by bicycle, resuming the race after having accepted a lift in a vehicle or on a motorbike

TRENDING THREADS