• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 14: Urdax > Col d'Aubisque 196km

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Yes my point wasn't that they were the same, but I think Paris-Roubaix is a good race for a rouleur, and if Froome were such a good rouleur then he would've at least tried it, and probably done quite well in it. At least Wiggins good, or like Tony Martin this year. I still disagree with him being the best rouleur in the world. When he does well in a 250+km race then I might change my mind, but imo he showed in rio he doesn't have that ability.

Not saying he stands a chance, but even if he was capable of top 10, what's the point of taking part in such a dangerous crashfest when you're on a 5 mil contract to get your sponsor publicity in july

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Considering that there are 3 MTF remaining with one to come after the TT, this Vuelta still is in favor of Quintana. Looking at last years TT Quintana lost 1:30 to Dumoulin.So he is going to lose ~1 min to Froome, the same time he is now leading. If he drops Froome on any of the 3 MTFs he will most likely win.

I agree.

Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 14: Urdax > Col d'Aubisque 1

Pricey_sky said:
42x16ss said:
Does anyone know who's plan that was today? If it was White, it just confirms yet again that he's best DS in the business. That's saying something because I can't stand the man.

No, Neil 'woody' Stephens is the DS at the Vuelta.

Neil Stephens is a very crafty guy and if you watch Backstage Pass you will see him call the win of Keukeleire half way through the stage....another plan that they had talked about that morning. In todays Stage I wouldn't be surprised if Gerro had a fair input into that plan as he was doing a power of work today, both in the breakaway and then when he dropped back with Cort to pick up Yates. Keukeleire dropped back a little later to give OBE a pretty eventful mini "TTT". http://www.greenedgecycling.com/backstage-pass/

Watching Yates and Chavez in this Backstage Pass, it seems like they have good body language going on and are enjoying riding together.

Wilba60 said:
Pricey_sky said:
42x16ss said:
Does anyone know who's plan that was today? If it was White, it just confirms yet again that he's best DS in the business. That's saying something because I can't stand the man.

No, Neil 'woody' Stephens is the DS at the Vuelta.

Neil Stephens is a very crafty guy and if you watch Backstage Pass you will see him call the win of Keukeleire half way through the stage....another plan that they had talked about that morning. In todays Stage I wouldn't be surprised if Gerro had a fair input into that plan as he was doing a power of work today, both in the breakaway and then when he dropped back with Cort to pick up Yates. Keukeleire dropped back a little later to give OBE a pretty eventful mini "TTT". http://www.greenedgecycling.com/backstage-pass/

Watching Yates and Chavez in this Backstage Pass, it seems like they have good body language going on and are enjoying riding together.

42x16ss said:
Yeah, you're right. Stephens can also read a race pretty awesomely as well, was a great road captain as a pro.

Agree with both, Stephens is a very good DS. He also seems like a great guy from the many Backstage Pass videos he's been in. He also stopped and had a quick chat and a photo on the 1st stage of the 2014 Tour up in Leeds.

42x16ss said:
kenk09 said:
42x16ss said:
Kwibus said:
Orica-Greenedge.... well done.

A team I despised during their better Gerrans years, allthough very effective( and that's what it's about afterall) they were incredibly negative in their racing. Yet tactically very strong obviously.

Now their leaders are other riders and they adapted to it with ease apparently. This time a lot more aggresive which I ofcourse prefer, but now they have the riders for it and their position in GC allowed it. They did it though so a big thumbs up for them.
I must say they really got their tactics right a lot of times.
Indeed. I hope that those of the "Brailsford is a cycling genius" persuasion watched this stage because Sky doesn't have a 10th of Orica's race smarts.

Bizarre.

What does Sky have to do with anything?
Brailsford is not a DS.
The amount of times I have heard Sky fanatics carry on about the teams "tactical skills" when all they did was set pace on the front is nauseating. This is pretty much the exact opposite to what Orica did today and the other contenders almost got pantsed.

This forum isn't as heavy on the Pro-Sky but in places like the Bikeradar forums stages like this should be compulsory viewing.

Stages like this should be compulsory viewing anywhere!