• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Alghero - Olbia 206 km

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That was very funny indeed! The corner at 3km to go stretched the peloton so much that it never reorganized properly again. That also helped riders to navigate through the following tight corners, so overall it did not turn out to be as dangerous as it could have been.

Postlberger got some help from the motos when the gap first opened as the motos themselves somehow struggled to vacate the turns quickly enough, but then it was just him against everyone else and the sprinters simply run out of their lead-out men. When he first hesitated and considered what to do I thought to myself he should continue keeping small gap to put the pressure on Orica's train. Then suddenly the gap was bigger and I started hoping that he can keep up. And he did, though for a moment also I was afarid his early celebration could cost him the win. Well, he maybe lost a second of a time gap, but how many times will he be able to enjoy the feeling of crossing the line first? I am sure the moment to celebrate was worth that second lost. Great start of the Giro.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If it's only 13 seconds I wouldn't worry. The psychological damage is probably greater than the actual 13 seconds if he lets it get to him.

Landa really just needs to stick himself to Geraints wheel in these kind of stages as he's very good at being in the right place.

Re:

PeterB said:
That was very funny indeed! The corner at 3km to go stretched the peloton so much that it never reorganized properly again. That also helped riders to navigate through the following tight corners, so overall it did not turn out to be as dangerous as it could have been.

Postlberger got some help from the motos when the gap first opened as the motos themselves somehow struggled to vacate the turns quickly enough, but then it was just him against everyone else and the sprinters simply run out of their lead-out men. When he first hesitated and considered what to do I thought to myself he should continue keeping small gap to put the pressure on Orica's train. Then suddenly the gap was bigger and I started hoping that he can keep up. And he did, though for a moment also I was afarid his early celebration could cost him the win. Well, he maybe lost a second of a time gap, but how many times will he be able to enjoy the feeling of crossing the line first? I am sure the moment to celebrate was worth that second lost. Great start of the Giro.
I don't know if it was on purpose or not but Bora managed to disturb the chase very effectively. When Pöstlberger got the gap there was only one rider between him and Ewan and since Ewan obviously can't work if he wants to be successful in the sprint that meant a head to head duel between Pöstlberger and the Orica guy in front of Ewan. Pöstlberger was stronger (some say it was moto drifing but ofc these people just can't admire his greatness) got a gap and since two other Bora riders managed to come from behind and get on Ewans wheel nobody was able to resume the chase when the Orica guy was done. When other helpers finally managed to come around the Bora riders to lead the chase Pöstlbergers advantage was already too big.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That's why Sky/Movistar/Trek/Bahrain were all sitting on the front in the last 20km to keep a good position for their leaders. LottoNLJumbo need to get their act together, especially considering most of their team are flat men. Kruisjwik badly positioned. But 13 seconds is really nothing, it will be more a wake-up call for the team. I expect to see them a lot more on the front in the next few days if they are taking his GC challenge seriously.

Re:

deValtos said:
That's why Sky/Movistar/Trek/Bahrain were all sitting on the front in the last 20km to keep a good position for their leaders. LottoNLJumbo need to get their act together, especially considering most of their team are flat men. Kruisjwik badly positioned. But 13 seconds is really nothing, it will be more a wake-up call for the team. I expect to see them a lot more on the front in the next few days if they are taking his GC challenge seriously.

Kruijswijk had only 1 men left near him the last 30 km or something (Probably van Emden).
Good to see Battaglin sprinting for top 10 though.. :rolleyes:

Foli also missed the boat, will he ride GC? Not surprising Kruijswijk messed up, not good at that much else than enduro w/kg preferably in the 3rd week, but its probably no big deal. As long as he doesnt lose 10 minutes like he did in 2015..

Always and I repeat, always good to see someone fooling the sprinters. ;) What a win for Lukas, Bora has some pretty nice prospects, intrigued by what they have in store this Giro.

Re:

wolvie15 said:
Too bad we can't see the race in North America unless we accept to pay the highway robbery fee Fubo.tv asks from cycling fans.

$17,00 for their basic package + $25,00 to get the cycling channel. I refuse to pay that much. For that price , i get Netflix, Crave and Amazon prime.

So, i will only be able to follow the race on the sites that narrates the race. And i will not use illegal ways to see the race either.

Try this link, you can get $30 off. https://stacksocial.com/sales/fubotv-premier-1-month-subscription
I'm paying $14 total to see the Giro. Today Fubo showed 5hrs and 10mins of High Quality, Commercial Free coverage of the race. You can also have 3 cloud dvred shows recorded, good for 72 hours each. Fubo Rocks!!! Highly recommended! I will drop it as soon as the Giro is over :)

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

wolvie15 said:
Too bad we can't see the race in North America unless we accept to pay the highway robbery fee Fubo.tv asks from cycling fans.

$17,00 for their basic package + $25,00 to get the cycling channel. I refuse to pay that much. For that price , i get Netflix, Crave and Amazon prime.

So, i will only be able to follow the race on the sites that narrates the race. And i will not use illegal ways to see the race either.

VPN + Eurosport Player is much cheaper and frankly superior to "Fubo" whatever tv.

Valv.Piti said:
Foli also missed the boat, will he ride GC? Not surprising Kruijswijk messed up, not good at that much else than enduro w/kg preferably in the 3rd week, but its probably no big deal. As long as he doesnt lose 10 minutes like he did in 2015..

Always and I repeat, always good to see someone fooling the sprinters. ;) What a win for Lukas, Bora has some pretty nice prospects, intrigued by what they have in store this Giro.
I agree, anything within 2 minutes loss in the 1st week is a good week for kruijswijk. 13 seconds is peanuts.

I fear more for him at the Etna stage. Such a mountain finish early in the Giro never suits him. In 2011 (first good giro outing) he also lost like 2 minutes in the first mt stage

Re: Re:

hazaran said:
wolvie15 said:

VPN + Eurosport Player is much cheaper and frankly superior to "Fubo" whatever tv.

Eurosport player has commercials, no dvr capability and the setup is illegal in the USA. Just saying. I'm paying $14 to get the Giro on Fubo; great product and legal.

Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
rick james said:
Gigs_98 said:
silvergrenade said:
Landa didn't lose time.
Steven only GC guy to lose time.
Horrible for the race
GT's are usually decided by way more than 13 seconds so if this happens only once the impact on the race shouldn't be too big. Still a very suboptimal start for Steven.
Chris froome disagrees

I was gonna say that! :lol:
Usually :D

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Valv.Piti said:

I agree, anything within 2 minutes loss in the 1st week is a good week for kruijswijk. 13 seconds is peanuts.

I fear more for him at the Etna stage. Such a mountain finish early in the Giro never suits him. In 2011 (first good giro outing) he also lost like 2 minutes in the first mt stage
Hmm, good and good, I doubt he can win the Giro 2 minutes down against this field... but 1 minute down after a week and I'd call it a day, especially after his DNS in Yorkshire which might have been really bad or might not have mattered at all (if he trained hard anyway but just didn't want to take risks).

Re:

Nirvana said:
From the "get a spot in the top 20" group there are a lot of riders that lost time.

Kelderman, Woods 13"
Rolland, Cataldo, Henao, Hirt 18"
Stetina, Dupont, Foliforov, Firsanov 34"
Visconti, Reichembach, Hermans, Carthy, Anton, Geniez, Dombrowski 1'09"
I could see Kelderman wanting to try himself out again.

Very obvious that the Cannondale guys doesn't care about the GC apart from Formolo and thats how it should be honestly. Already expecting attacks tomorrow.