• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Looking forward to stage 6 and 8 - tricky, hilly finishes are part of the Giro and is always great to watch. Possibility for a few seconds gained and lost for the GC-men as well. Unfortunately we have a very mediocre field contesting these stages, I miss Bettini and Riccó and with no Gilbert, I think Haas is the best puncheur around.
Especially considering the king of random Giro stage wins isn't present this year.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Looking forward to stage 6 and 8 - tricky, hilly finishes are part of the Giro and is always great to watch. Possibility for a few seconds gained and lost for the GC-men as well. Unfortunately we have a very mediocre field contesting these stages, I miss Bettini and Riccó and with no Gilbert, I think Haas is the best puncheur around.
I'd say Woods also.

But yes, the puncher field is very poor. Maybe one of the GC guy could win tomorrow or Saturday.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Gasparotto, Teuns and Costa could all get invlved on a punchy finish.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if someone already mentioned it, but the Mortirolo will the the Montagna Scarponi, double KoM points and a special trophy for the first rider on top, so pretty much a 2nd Cima Coppi right before the actual one.
Thanks for the great analysis Eshnar.

I'm all for honouring Scarponi, but what's the sense of doubling up the points?

Usually the Cima Coppi have double points because it's the hardest climb of the Giro (usually), that Mortirolo isn't even the harder side of that mountain. Afaik, the Tour have that special honors (like Souvenir Henri Degrange) where the points are normal and there is a financial bonus. That was the right thing to do IMO.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Ricco' said:

Usually the Cima Coppi have double points because it's the hardest climb of the Giro (usually), that Mortirolo isn't even the harder side of that mountain. Afaik, the Tour have that special honors (like Souvenir Henri Degrange) where the points are normal and there is a financial bonus. That was the right thing to do IMO.
Yes, that would have been a better option.

Re:

Ricco' said:

Usually the Cima Coppi have double points because it's the hardest climb of the Giro (usually)

Cima Coppi is not the hardest climb of the Giro, but the climb that reaches the maximum altitude of all Giro.

The hardest climb is usually called "montagna Pantani" but I don't think it gives double points.
I also don't know if this year there is a montagna Pantani or not....

Re: Re:

Tour de Berghem said:
Ricco' said:

Usually the Cima Coppi have double points because it's the hardest climb of the Giro (usually)

Cima Coppi is not the hardest climb of the Giro, but the climb that reaches the maximum altitude of all Giro.

The hardest climb is usually called "montagna Pantani" but I don't think it gives double points.
I also don't know if this year there is a montagna Pantani or not....

This year it's Oropa, so it's not the most difficult too.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Is Oropa even a climb?

Was your statement a joke? :lol:

T14_S01_Oropa_web.jpg

Can anyone explain how many points riders get on different climbs? I've found different sides all writing about a different point awarding systems and most also say that the points on the Cima Coppi aren't twice as much points as on usual 1st category climbs but only a few points more. I'm completely confused

Gigs_98 said:
Can anyone explain how many points riders get on different climbs? I've found different sides all writing about a different point awarding systems and most also say that the points on the Cima Coppi aren't twice as much points as on usual 1st category climbs but only a few points more. I'm completely confused

If you scroll the page of the link below you can find the table with points
http://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/giro-2017/regolamento-giro-ditalia-2017/

Stelvio from Prato is often described as the hardest climb in cycling, at least by some, but where does the Stelvio from Santa Maria I'm Müstair rank, the final climb on stage 16 cut short of the remaining 3 kilometres? Same altitude at 16,4 km @ 8,4% is really no joke either. Obviously the Rettenbachferner is tougher than that, but really not by that much and Stelvio from Prato early slopes aren't that demanding.