• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 La Fleche Wallonne

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Break has 5 minutes:

Romain Hardy - Fortuneo-Samsic
Romain Combaud - Delko Marseille Provence KTM
Anthony Perez - Cofidis, Solutions Credits
Patrick Muller - Vital Concept Club
Cesare Benedetti - Bora-Hansgrohe
Anthony Roux - Groupama-FDJ
Kevin Van Melsen - Wanty-Groupe Gobert
Antoine Warnier - WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic

Re:

hrotha said:
I hope Wellens is smarter than Aerts. Jesus Christ. You know when some forumers deride people who complain about conservative racing by saying stuff like "they know what they're doing, they do what maximizes their chances of winning, do you think they're stupid?"? Well...

edit: Some year Valverde won't be as good or he'll be unlucky or whatever and they'll beat him (might even be today, who knows), and the worst part is they will think that vindicates them, without a second thought for all the races they've already lost to him.

Well, apparently he is: "I think it will be necessary to anticipate. Few will be confident to ride to the finish together with Valverde. My exact tactics will depend on how the race develops."

Re:

Flamin said:
Wellens tried to go from 'far' in 2016. It was a useless move since barely anyone was interested in joining him, so might as well go toe-to-toe and see what you're worth.

Unless some strong guys decide to attack.

Exactly.He won't go solo, I think that's sure. But in a strong group he'll be more than willing to go.

Re: Re:

Blanco said:
Flamin said:
Wellens tried to go from 'far' in 2016. It was a useless move since barely anyone was interested in joining him, so might as well go toe-to-toe and see what you're worth.

Unless some strong guys decide to attack.

Exactly.He won't go solo, I think that's sure. But in a strong group he'll be more than willing to go.
Actually plenty of very strong riders here. Imagine a group: Nibali, Caruso, Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, Barguil, Fuglsang, Oomen and Wellens.

But OK, chances that a Chinese spacestation falls on your head are probably slightly bigger than this happening.

Kwiatkowski said “But for sure we will try to do our best to open our race beforehand and isolate him(Valverde), because everybody knows that if Valverde is there 200 metres before the finish, he’s going to win. Let’s be confident about our possibilities to try to win it in a different way."

Re:

can3478 said:
Kwiatkowski said “But for sure we will try to do our best to open our race beforehand and isolate him(Valverde), because everybody knows that if Valverde is there 200 metres before the finish, he’s going to win. Let’s be confident about our possibilities to try to win it in a different way."
Trying to win Fleche in a different way is like trying to win in Champs Élysées in a different way: only for the likes of Vino :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol, UAE doing all the work again. I just can't take these races seriously anymore.

Dan Martin is going to get Yamcha'd by Valverde and it will be great to see.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
Velolover2 said:
Who are Baharin riding for? Gasparotto and Gorka Izagirre are both explosive enough to wait for the Mur.

But Nibali and brother Ion really aren't.
Gasparotto but he said that he could also try to go on Cherave.
Ion also said that he could try something before Huy.
Not a bad idea. They should all go before the Mur except Gorka who they can save for a top 5/10 spot if anything goes wrong.