• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Bologna - San Luca ITT 8km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Carols said:
luckyboy said:
Jeremy Whittle on Twitter. Bizarre...

"Be a shame if it rained and cost Yates significant time, over a mere 8k TT in a three and a half thousand kilometre Grand Tour. Organisers bend over backwards to create a cliffhanger finale yet are quite happy for the weather to skew things. Don't really understand."

The organizers are supposed to control the weather? SMH

Commentary on Eurosport implies that Yates chose to take a late start.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:
postmanhat said:
Is there any benefit to Roglic keeping hold of the Maliga Rosa? All the post-race time wasted as leader probably didn't help Yates last year
I'm not even sure he'll get a decent chance to give it away.

There’s a reasonable chance of a break winning tomorrow, particularly if the leader’s team are deliberately slack in chasing.
I imagine the sprinters will try tomorrow

King Boonen said:
Carols said:
luckyboy said:

"Be a shame if it rained and cost Yates significant time, over a mere 8k TT in a three and a half thousand kilometre Grand Tour. Organisers bend over backwards to create a cliffhanger finale yet are quite happy for the weather to skew things. Don't really understand."

He definitely Chose his start time:"The weather is just a prediction, nobody really knows," he stated..."Now I will also know the exact times of my rivals so I can also work around that and plan a strategy," he added.

Carols said:
King Boonen said:
Carols said:
luckyboy said:

He definitely Chose his start time:"The weather is just a prediction, nobody really knows," he stated..."Now I will also know the exact times of my rivals so I can also work around that and plan a strategy," he added.
It's understandable; there's definitely advantages to going last - which is why everyone usually does so. You get all the feedback from your team-mates as well as knowing the times to beat.

Gets a nice Gaviria shaped rabbit to chase down on the climb as well!

Red Rick said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Red Rick said:
postmanhat said:
Is there any benefit to Roglic keeping hold of the Maliga Rosa? All the post-race time wasted as leader probably didn't help Yates last year
I'm not even sure he'll get a decent chance to give it away.

There’s a reasonable chance of a break winning tomorrow, particularly if the leader’s team are deliberately slack in chasing.
I imagine the sprinters will try tomorrow

They will pass Mastromarco, home of Nibali when he started cycling seriously. So...

Singer01 said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Singer01 said:
18 seconds at the split, he surely would have taken that at the start.

Errr no. But we'll see how he's paced it - if he can match Roglic on the climb it's a good start.
Why not, he is a better climber, if he loses 18 overall he would be over the moon.

Because 3 seconds per KM on the flat is a pretty bad loss - only OK if he deliberately held back to attack the climb.

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Could easily have 30s+ gaps here already

0% chance Dumoulin and Roglic don't get top 2 without crashing
I could easily Yates see finish second ahead of Dumoulin on this kind of time trial.
I'll have what you're smoking.
I quit cigarettes 2 years ago and Im not on da weeeed

Seriously, its not as unlikely as you think when you stated with 100% certainty that those two will end up top 2. But lets wait and see, I may end up looking like a fool.
Oops