• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 16: Lovere - Ponte di Legno 194 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

search said:
jfazendeiro said:
The presence of Caruso and A.Nibali on the breakaway should hurt an offensive strategy of Movistar before Mortirolo. Landa's only hope is an attack of Lopez or Yates
I guess the last time anyone considered to attack before Mortirolo was before Gavia was taken out anyway, wasn't it?!

For Landa it'll be mainly about the stage win, I guess, and that's still very much within reach - if Carapaz can jump to him and they'll move up in GC together, even better.

Landa will stay with Carapaz. Nobody jumps on Mortirolo, they all crawl.

Rollthedice said:
search said:
jfazendeiro said:
The presence of Caruso and A.Nibali on the breakaway should hurt an offensive strategy of Movistar before Mortirolo. Landa's only hope is an attack of Lopez or Yates
I guess the last time anyone considered to attack before Mortirolo was before Gavia was taken out anyway, wasn't it?!

For Landa it'll be mainly about the stage win, I guess, and that's still very much within reach - if Carapaz can jump to him and they'll move up in GC together, even better.

Yes, I can see Landa attacking on the way to the finish Line after the Mortirolo from a really small group so that the other gc guys have to chase and Carapaz gets a free ride while Landa gets his stage win and moves up on the gc.

Laplaz said:
search said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
I'm not sure what Caruso is doing but he very lively in the break.
My guess?

He wants to get over the Mortirolo ahead of Nibali.
probably. But I'd think the breakaway would need a 6 or 7 minutes gap for that to happen?! Looks unlikely at the moment
I think 5 minutes would be enough for Caruso.
hard to say, usually there are not much more than ~10 guys within 5 minutes at the top of the Mortirolo. And even then, he'll be completely wasted

Mayomaniac said:
Rollthedice said:
search said:
jfazendeiro said:

Yes, I can see Landa attacking on the way to the finish Line after the Mortirolo from a really small group so that the other gc guys have to chase and Carapaz gets a free ride while Landa gets his stage win and moves up on the gc.
My doubts is if he has freedom to go in the Mortirolo. Anyway someone has to attack. Maybe Yates, Lopez or NIbali, but Nibali could be on the descent. If someone attack I dont think he has the freedom to follow instead to ne with Carapaz. But anyway Carapaz is very strong and he is not likely to show weakness.

jaylew said:
Rollthedice said:
Climbing said:
Will Carapaz try to deliver the final blow today and seal the deal, especially against Roglic?
Seems the perfect opportunity for Moviestar, if the legs are still the same.

Today is the first day when Carapaz will be taken seriously, I'm not so sure he will fly away.
Nonsense.
Yep, thats utter nonsense. He was allowed absolutely nothing on stage 14 on San Carlo, he took 30 seconds by force on 3 kilometres. No chance anyone could follow him there.

Re:

search said:
that would be the first time that Landa gives up personal ambitions for a team mate. Can't see it happen

First time :eek: ?! He didn't wait for Aru? He didn't pulled for Froome? He was in a serious situation to win the whole Giro, but waited for a teammate, just to finish 3rd, and his own teammate cost him the Tour podium with his pointless attack.

sir fly said:
jaylew said:
Rollthedice said:
Climbing said:
Will Carapaz try to deliver the final blow today and seal the deal, especially against Roglic?

Today is the first day when Carapaz will be taken seriously, I'm not so sure he will fly away.
Nonsense.
Won't be taken seriously?
Of course not. Why take a guy seriously who's currently kicking your a**, came into the race on obvious good form, and who just missed the podium last year? :p

jaylew said:
sir fly said:
jaylew said:
Rollthedice said:
Climbing said:

Nonsense.
Won't be taken seriously?
Of course not. Why take a guy seriously who's currently kicking your a**, came into the race on obvious good form, and who just missed the podium last year? :p
Personally, I can't take seriously a guy in the pink.

TRENDING THREADS