• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 16: Lovere - Ponte di Legno 194 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Blanco said:
klintE said:
I think it could be smart from Movistar/Carapaz to ride this defensive.
Roglic can be dealt later (f.e next day)
Yates will try to kill himself attacking from Aprica.
It would not be smart. Mortirolo is perfect to deal with Roglic.
Not to deal. Mortirolo is to kill. And in that area you may suddenly kill self too [;
But Carapaz doesn't need that risk.
He has advantage and what he need is 30-60 seconds more to compensate losses on ITT.
Easiest way to do this is hard pace on real MTF and attack 2 km to go. (Stage 17 looks perfect)
If you have the fastest guy uphill you don't have to play games.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 16: Lovere - Ponte di Legno 194

Original stage 16 route
tumblr_pqowkuzXs61ropreyo6_1280.jpg

Current stage 16 route
T16_Ponte_di_Legno_RIS_alt_jpg.jpg

Re:

Lequack said:
Roglic should learn from Dumoulin on how to tempo and not blow up. Dumoulin is incredibly hard to get rid of, he might get dropped but he seems to never go into the red and just calmly plows on.
This is probably just a physiological difference between them.

Dumoulin just keeps plowing through like nobody else. Once Roglic has burnt through his anaerobic capacity, he's in for a tough ride.

Re:

Lequack said:
Roglic should learn from Dumoulin on how to tempo and not blow up. Dumoulin is incredibly hard to get rid of, he might get dropped but he seems to never go into the red and just calmly plows on.

The Worlds were a perfect example of that. Woods, Bardet, and Valverde were the best climbers on the hell climb and dropped everyone else, several of whom blew up (including Alaphilippe). While Dumoulin rode that entire climb at his own pace so he wouldn't blow up. I think he even said that as soon as that climb started he found a pace he was comfortable with and rode at the pace until he hit the top of the climb. Now he did say he went into the red to catch the lead three riders, because at that point was the purpose of saving anything if you weren't in a position to use what you saved.

HelloDolly said:
Serpentin said:

I fear for Zakarin

Jumbo Visma car better get their act together early on

I think the break will make it and it will be between Mikkel Nieve, Thomas deGendt , & Ruben Plaza

GC will have a few post rest day fails

I really hope you're right about both the break AND deGendt as he's in my Velogames fantasy team and that is exactly what he's on that team.

I'd love to see the GC guys who are down on time (yates, lopez, maybe sivakov too) attacking from the get go and force jumbo, bora, merida to use their teams up early so its mano a mano come the top of aprica.

won't happen though. we'll see nothing until mortirolo and by that time i'd have fallen asleep (Australia time).

Re:

observer said:
I'd love to see the GC guys who are down on time (yates, lopez, maybe sivakov too) attacking from the get go and force jumbo, bora, merida to use their teams up early so its mano a mano come the top of aprica.

won't happen though. we'll see nothing until mortirolo and by that time i'd have fallen asleep (Australia time).

Don't be so sure. Yates has really impressed me with his attacks. Sure they've been largely ineffective, but no denying they're ballsy

Blanco said:
Koronin said:
I can see Movistar allowing Landa to attack and forcing the other contenders to try to bring him back, that way giving Carapaz a free ride.

There's no such thing as free ride on the slopes of Mortirolo, it's basically every man for himself. I would go with Landa forcing the pace all the way, until Roglic hopefully drops. If not, then Carapaz needs to try himself.

just wondering what is your problem with roglic, seems kind of strage as we were the same nation once

Amazinmets87 said:
observer said:

Don't be so sure. Yates has really impressed me with his attacks. Sure they've been largely ineffective, but no denying they're ballsy

Yates and Lopez have to try something. Movistar will try and put Nibali and Roglic under pressure just to test the waters and see how they react. Majka and Mollema have to try and hang in there.

topt said:
Blanco said:
Koronin said:
I can see Movistar allowing Landa to attack and forcing the other contenders to try to bring him back, that way giving Carapaz a free ride.

There's no such thing as free ride on the slopes of Mortirolo, it's basically every man for himself. I would go with Landa forcing the pace all the way, until Roglic hopefully drops. If not, then Carapaz needs to try himself.

just wondering what is your problem with roglic, seems kind of strage as we were the same nation once

What problem with Roglic?! I don't have one. I consider him a great rider, but I just simply root for Landa in this Giro.
And yes, we were in the same country once, but not anymore.. :)

TRENDING THREADS