• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's not even raining. Incredible incompetence of the UCI once again. Cutting the distance and the two hardest climbs is in the advantage of MvdP, Sagan and Matthews. It's a big disadvantage for climbers like Alaphilippe and Fuglsang.

I wish they had not altered the course but the evidence of my own eyes looking out of the bedroom window in the centre of Harrogate says that it is currently raining albeit steady rather than torrential is the current state of the rain.

I wish they had not altered the course but the evidence of my own eyes looking out of the bedroom window in the centre of Harrogate says that it is currently raining albeit steady rather than torrential is the current state of the rain.
Photos on Twitter show road completely flooded at base of Buttertubs climb and it is absolutely torrential rain in Ilkley just now

Reactions: Sandisfan
The forecast posted on the previous page showed the heaviest rain at 10am, so exactly when they’d be going up the first 2 big climbs, and with the runoff accumulating just in time to flood as they go over the 3rd. Better that they be proactive and avoid a repeat of the TdF.

But yeah, shame the big hills are out.

Van Avermaet is not happy.

"They know for 2 weeks it's bad weather and this course. And then they decide on the last morning to change the course.."
He is absolutely on the money. If anything, the only thing he is wrong about is 2 weeks. They should have known for years, back when they announced Harrogate to be the host, that this could have happened. It's just like the Eekhoff drama, the decision itself is probably the correct one, but the entire handling of the situation is godawful.

TRENDING THREADS