• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@Valv.Piti you completely sure today sucked?
The last 4 laps was the best worlds in a long, loooooong time.

Great day. I noted earlier in the thread that this was a race for Pedersen, everything was perfect. A bit hilly, not too much, long, hard and shitty weather. All that doesnt matter if he doesnt have the legs, his legs are basically a lotto coupon, but today he had it. Same thing happened in Flanders. One of the best strong men in the world on his best days with a dangerous sprint as evidenced today.

So yeah, great day. :D

People searching for explanation to Trentin poor sprint in the end should take a long look at his track record in sprints after a Classic/Monument. Everything you're looking for is there.

Italy rode an immaculate race. But they had numbers in the group and should've tried a couple attacks. No point in Moscon burying himself really.

In hindsight I think Sagan could have been on the podium, if he had followed MDVP or attacked shortly after that.
Sagan was way far back in the peloton, cruising next to GVA.

He should have been more attentive and aggressive, instead was hoping it is still too early and Australia/Belgium/Norway/Germany will chase that break anyway.

His problem is that if he started chasing, they would just tail him and let himself tire out ...

He was still the best of the main favourites (MvP, GVA, Matthews, Alaphilippe, Gilbert, Kristoff), but needed Belgium/Australia not to mess up so badly.

It's nice to have someone who wasn't a big favorite wear the jersey for a change.

I agree- really made the peleton's anticlimax less of a drag on the overall race ranking.
Pedersen has so much classic pedigree, it's amazing. Both him and Kung should be great over the next few years at the Classics.

For Trentin, I thought he rode well and would have it in the bag, but Pedersen is a deserving winner who packs a decent punch!

It's nice to have someone who wasn't a big favorite wear the jersey for a change.

Valverde - surely not
Sagan - Not really surprising in any of them, beating Cav from a bunch in Doha was great though
Kwiatkowski - not real surprise
Costa - Good form but question marks over the team (only 3 Portuguese riders)
Gilbert - surely not
Cav - surely not
Hushovd - One of the best sprinters who had endurance on hills, not
Evans - While he races classics, he had never won a big one before WC, so he was kind of surprise
Ballan - I would rate this as a surprise, he was really 3rd or 4th card within Italian team

Congrats to young rider Mads Pedersen - only 23 years of age and already an excellent rider.

He was doing almost everything right. Waiting for Theuns so the Dutch wouldn't chase and kept going when MVDP and Trentin jumped to the front. He will have to thank Stephan Kung for all the work in front - he even put pressuere on at the hill, so Trentin would'nt attack.

Very good racing when we finally got pictures:)

I'm not sure. He did a whole lot of work in that group, starting from when he escaped with Craddock, all the way until 1 km to go. Yes, maybe he should have sat on. But on the other hand, with his (lack of) explosiveness, he did secure a medal in this way. Looks like from the point he dropped Moscon he decided to sacrifice any chance of a victory for a guaranteed medal.

Who cares about a medal. This is cycling, it’s all about the win. Kung may not get many opportunities to win the WCRR and he failed to maximize his chance today. A 10% chance of winning is better than an inevitable third. Strongest guy in the race, but nowhere near the smartest.

This was by far the worst Worlds for France in this decade.

Voeckler has serious work to do, and our nation a serious need of talents.
I wouldn't be so hard on your nation - it's more results that it needs for, not talents. Alaphilippe won so many things this year and would have likely been in better shape for the Worlds if he hadn't won basically everything else. Pinot on his day is good enough to win the Tour, he's just had a combo of terrible luck and fragility. Cosnefroy and Gaudu look like potential world beaters in the making. The talent is there, for sure.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
Damn what a worlds

Pedersen the surprising but deserved winner. So many things going through my mind the last 15km.

• Vd Poel looked like a beast and like he couldn't lose. But even he has to remember to eat enough. Never seen somebody park so badly in years! :eek: The word hunger knock is back
  • Trentin looked like a beast and like he couldn't lose.. but even he can cramp up the moment he starts his sprint I suppose..
  • Pedersen just had by far the most left and easily won the sprint. Probs to Küng getting third aftera 65km long attack.

-Sagan if you can close 20s in such a short time, where were you went VdP and Trentin attacked?

All in all, disappointed VdP didn't manage to win, but truly enjoyed the worlds as a whole. That was a classic race of attrition. Only the strongest can win that race. And Pedersen was the strongest. Period.

Who cares about a medal. This is cycling, it’s all about the win. Kung may not get many opportunities to win the WCRR and he failed to maximize his chance today. A 10% chance of winning is better than an inevitable third.
He wasn't riding for 3rd, he went hard on any sort of hill and tried to ride the others off the wheel on the flat as well. He almost dropped Pedersen and I think Trentin was under pressure as well.

TRENDING THREADS