• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thanks for sharing, that’s interesting. It’s probably a translation quirk, but it doesn’t seem very appropriate to call a special flight carrying “107 athletes from cycling, squad, tennis and football” to Europe a “humanitarian flight”?!

i guess the reference to Carapaz has to do to the fact that, at leat for now, he'll have to travel +/-900km by car in order to get to this flight..

Thanks for sharing, that’s interesting. It’s probably a translation quirk, but it doesn’t seem very appropriate to call a special flight carrying “107 athletes from cycling, squad, tennis and football” to Europe a “humanitarian flight”?!
It is called that way. Not sure why. The same thing happened when they brought Gaviria from UAE. They called it "Humanitarian Flight". He came with other Colombians that were stranded. Same thing happened between USA and Colombia. Flights not on the regular schedule to get non-citizens to their home. Or to get them to their regular work.

Considering that the third week is late october what are the odds of Colle Dell'Agnello (perhaps also Col du Izoard) and Passo Stelvio cancelled/re-routed?
I think about the same as in May. In the last few years I feel like late snow in spring has become somewhat more common than early snow in autumn but you know, in those regions, on that altitude there is always a decent chance as long as it's not July and August (and even then you can never be sure). But I at least think riding this route in October feels about as reasonable as riding it in May so I'm perfectly okay with it.

I think about the same as in May. In the last few years I feel like late snow in spring has become somewhat more common than early snow in autumn but you know, in those regions, on that altitude there is always a decent chance as long as it's not July and August (and even then you can never be sure). But I at least think riding this route in October feels about as reasonable as riding it in May so I'm perfectly okay with it.
Yes and there won't be walls of snow alingsinde the road and potential avalaches like in May.
I've seen snowfall on the Brenner/Brennero in both July and August, if you have really bad luck it can always happen in the mountains.

Reactions: Big Doopie
Yes and there won't be walls of snow alingsinde the road and potential avalaches like in May.
I've seen snowfall on the Brenner/Brennero in both July and August, if you have really bad luck it can always happen in the mountains.
Yeah, I thought about writing about the lack of snow walls but then I thought, when was the last time a giro stage actually had to get cancelled because the road wasn't cleared yet and not because it was snowing during the stage. The only thing the snow walls got cancelled in recent years were Kruijswijks gc ambitions.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick
Yeah, I thought about writing about the lack of snow walls but then I thought, when was the last time a giro stage actually had to get cancelled because the road wasn't cleared yet and not because it was snowing during the stage. The only thing the snow walls got cancelled in recent years were Kruijswijks gc ambitions.
Last year the Gavia mainly got canceled because of potential avalanches, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Last year the Gavia was still closed and not cleared on the top, in the past probably they would have ridden it going through the snow walls but nowadays we know that they are a bunch of pussies so there isn't anymore space for the epic side of cycling.

small_110210-151001_to260609sto_00142.jpg

Ciclistas%2Bbajo%2Bla%2Bnieve%2B-%2BPaso%2BStelvio%2B14.jpg

Gigs, that was the Giro Rosa, as they were supposed to have an MTF there. It had to be taken out of the Giro, then they got it cleared during June but then there were landslide issues that cropped up at the end of June which meant they had to take it out and replace it with Torre di Fraele.

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
My concern is not about the course at all. Does anybody know yet whether giro 103 will be held with spectators or not. Thanks in advance for responses.

TRENDING THREADS