• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 National Championships

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tactically i am not sure if Jan Tratnik being involved in early breakaway helped Bahrain McLaren all that much. It basically eliminated the whole advantage of having a strong team. Roglič had some good support in Grischa Niermann, getting Luka Mezgec on their side, for chasing the breakaway, Pogačar had Jan Polanc. The whole race was a fast paced one.

A brother of Tadej Pogačar was competing too, Tilen Pogačar. Tilen left cycling for 6 years and as a big brother he likely had something to do with Tadej competing. Thanks Tilen! There were in total 4 pair of brothers in this race. We got to see some Flanders alike narrow and bumpy roads.

Finally, when they started climbing, the selection happened quick. A group of five could still cope. Roglič attacked, caught and overpass Tratnik and waited for Pogačar. This was it, the moment we have all been anticipating. They both tested the waters a bit, finally Roglič attacked and Pogačar couldn't follow. All in all it was a good race and it didn't disappoint. I feel that currently Roglič is in great shape and he had good control over the last stage of the race. Becoming the national champion for the first time. There will be plenty more chances to become one for Pogačar in the future.

P.S. Can't wait to see this duo competing in TDF this year.

Some watts from yesterday

EbEB-GAWkAEuhab

Tactically i am not sure if Jan Tratnik being involved in early breakaway helped Bahrain McLaren all that much. It basically eliminated the whole advantage of having a strong team.

It did not help them in the end, but it was their best chance I would think. Their only chance actually, not by truely outnumbering, but by simply having Tratnik in the break, so that if that break had gone further, Tratnik would have won. (I would have loved that. :))

Reactions: janraaskalt
Pogačar crashed at the end of the third (out of seven) lap. He said it didn't affect him all that much after. What some forget is Pogačar is 21 years old and Pogačar did become national champion yesterday, category under 23 years. Roglič more or less didn't have much chance to compete in that category, starting cycling at the older age. Roglič has participated in national championship seven times, before securing the win. He currently is ranked as No.1 pro cyclist in the world.

All in all i feel that both are happy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS