• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 National Championships

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogačar wins. Looks like the tactic to start on a road bike and then swap to a TT bike was better that do the whole course on a TT bike. Plus Polanc started a minute ahead of Pogačar and was caught and passed by him. And we don't know what happened on the course. But anyway, first two were almost two minutes ahead of anyone else. And above 30 km/h average on this course!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Whatever made the winning difference doesn't change the fact Pogačar's improving his all-round ability.
May look a bit different after three weeks of racing, but he shouldn't feel disadvantaged.

On the other hand, Rogla might lack some racing sharpness, besides the possible tactical mistake.
Looked pretty sharp a week ago, though.

At this point, every conclusion should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That's actually pretty incredible. Many here thought (myself included) it'd be a comfotable win for Roglič. And it's not like Roglič went slow. Polanc in third ,who is supposedly in very good form, has a similar gap he had in 2019 San Marino ITT where Roglič won in the Giro even though that ITT was 20min longer. He was 12th that day, so a good time trialist on hilly terrain.

The weather wasn't much of a factor because Pogačar and Roglič started one after another just one minute apart. Of course Pogačar likes the rain and was probably highly motivated to take revange on Rogla and might have had taken more risks. Also the bike change was probably the right choice (Roglič didn't change the bike). But that doesn't change the fact that it was an exceptional performance from Pogačar.

That's actually pretty incredible. Many here thought (myself included) it'd be a comfotable win for Roglič. And it's not like Roglič went slow. Polanc in third ,who is supposedly in very good form, has a similar gap he had in 2019 San Marino ITT where Roglič won in the Giro even though that ITT was 20min longer. He was 12th that day, so a good time trialist on hilly terrain.

The weather wasn't much of a factor because Pogačar and Roglič started one after another just one minute apart. Of course Pogačar likes the rain and was probably highly motivated to take revange on Rogla and might have had taken more risks. Also the bike change was probably the right choice (Roglič didn't change the bike). But that doesn't change the fact that it was an exceptional performance from Pogačar.

To change bike or not to change bike. You could write a theater play about it. Normally those guys should be able to predict and they should be able to measure, based on power numbers and other data, how much time (and energy) you would be able to save by using a lighter road bike on a climb, and whether it is worth it or not, compared to the time you lose by changing a bike. On a 35 minute ITT, with a 7k climb (i believe?) i think i remember heaving read you should be able to "win" around 20 seconds per kilogram that you weigh less on a 30 minute climb. Google tells me a typical ITT bike weighs roughly 1 to 2 kilograms heavier, so that would mean you could possibly win 20-40 seconds with a regular bike in this case. So, if you swap bikes and nothing goes wrong in the process it would probably have been the smarter thing to do here. How long would a bike change take? 10 seconds + another 10 to get back in your rhythm?

Better informed people, please chyme in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0E1x2N0AU

Maybe Roglic also wanted to make a statement by winning a climbing TT on a timetrial bike.

In the end i think this was it. Roglič likely felt he has enough power, to approach the whole race on a TT bike. And that didn't pan out. Roglič and his team will need to make sure, they make the right call on the stage 20 on the Tour.

To change the bike or not to change it, for the last climb. Will be interesting to see in what position different riders will be at and on how they will approach it!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e0E1x2N0AU

In the end i think this was it. Roglič likely felt he has enough power, to approach the whole race on a TT bike. And that didn't pan out. Roglič and his team will need to make sure, they make the right call on the stage 20 on the Tour.

To change the bike or not to change it, for the last climb. Will be interesting to see in what position different riders will be at and on how they will approach it!
I think it's pretty obvious they'll mostly change bikes. At least for the GC contenders.

TRENDING THREADS