• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Tour de France route rumors

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is the route really that terrible for sprinters? Sure they don't get a whole week to themselves, but there are 9 stages categorised as flat. There were only 7/8 bunch finishes this year.

Stages 5,10,11,19 and 21 looked nailed on sprints. 1 isn't that hard, whilst stages 3 and 7 get the climbs done a long way from the finish.

The only 'flat' stage that might be too hard for a sprinter could be the Lyon finish with the Col du Beal and then the lumps in the last 15km.

I think the Peyresourde stage could see action. From the summit of Bales there’s a 16km descent, then 9km climb, then 9km descent to the finish. Peyresourde isn’t a particularly hard climb, but it doesn’t have to be if somebody decides to race that final 40-45kms hard.

Some might see that stage as a better opportunity for attack than Laruns.

I think the Peyresourde stage could see action. From the summit of Bales there’s a 16km descent, then 9km climb, then 9km descent to the finish. Peyresourde isn’t a particularly hard climb, but it doesn’t have to be if somebody decides to race that final 40-45kms hard.

Some might see that stage as a better opportunity for attack than Laruns.

Peyresourde is about 9.8 km at 7.8%. Definitely hard enough to make a difference unless it is soft peddled

Reactions: Pantani_lives
I know. "Almost identical" may have been an overstatement, but I don't think it matters much. Some riders (Contador was one of them) actually have an easier time destroying the field in shorter stages and/or stages with fewer climbs.

Paris-Nice was Eze for Contador!! If only it was about half a dozen seconds easier....twice. Oh well, that's just about what I remember him best for now. Those second places were GOOD.

Can someone put a contract out on Marc Soler for belittling the great one?

I know. "Almost identical" may have been an overstatement, but I don't think it matters much. Some riders (Contador was one of them) actually have an easier time destroying the field in shorter stages and/or stages with fewer climbs.
It's pretty much true for most pure climbers because the anaerobic differences are bigger than the aerobic ones.

You have guys like Kruijswijk who needs the better aerobic ability to compensate and then still can't win, and I think Nibali is the only elite GT rider who absolutely leans on the pure endurance.

And it's definitely a big, big shame the endurance aspect of cycling is increasingly left to rot.

It's pretty much true for most pure climbers because the anaerobic differences are bigger than the aerobic ones.

You have guys like Kruijswijk who needs the better aerobic ability to compensate and then still can't win, and I think Nibali is the only elite GT rider who absolutely leans on the pure endurance.

And it's definitely a big, big shame the endurance aspect of cycling is increasingly left to rot.
Grand Colombier and Loze will completely test the endurance.

The more I dig into the route, the more I like it. Still missing the damn profiles and details for some stages, i.e. finish to Lyon, maybe Col de la Savine to Champagnole...there could be tricky finishes where one or more GC guys can get caught off-guard. The two isles will bring echelons if the ASO presentation was accurate course-wise and the wind blows. The Pyrenees were tamed for the sake of no big time gaps to keep it close, and man, there was a golden opportunity to get my favorite climbs in it (along the border, Arnosteguy, Burdincutcheta, and the likes. Bellurti...muhaha...) I suppose that I'll wait some more. Lac de Cap de Long is another one that no one knows and hopefully will make it. But as it is, this route is looking good, and better all the time. For me.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Wow, what a route! Alps at the beginning and at the end. Pyrenees, Massif Central and Jura as well. Only one TT with a hard climb. What a race for climbers. Bernal and Pinot will love it, Dumoulin and Roglic not so much. Col de la Loze finish is a monster. Arguably the hardest climb in TdF history: high elevation, huge elevation gain (almost 1700 meters), pretty steep overall (7.8 %) and very steep in last kilometers.

1a3f4

Need a few lozenges after that climb.

My only concern is will it only produce major top 5 GC sorting out action in the last 5kms? Would it produce attacks from further out (even on the Madeleine) if they finished after 16.5 kms (at roughly 6.5%, Still tough)?
I thought the same thing about Lago Serru last Giro, and I was very wrong.

That stage was overall a lot harder, uncontrolled and more chaotic though. But really if a strong team crushes the Madeleine you can launch your GC rider in the first 8km of the Col de La Loze imo.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Landani will set this Tour on fire! Specially now that he shouldn’t loose like 5 minutes before the real action starts.
I like Mikel very much...he doesn't hold back. On a course like this that requires so much to control it every day or every other day (regardless of what DB said), it could prove to be too much even for a super team. Attacks may be unanswered. And that's when Landa can make some smart moves and take time. Regardless of what we think about the course, on the paper at least we can see opportunities for some aggressive troublemakers take big risks for big rewards.

PS: Col de la Loze is a toughy: even if it's a final 5km action, some riders may explode and lose minutes. Col de la lose for them.

Need a few lozenges after that climb.

My only concern is will it only produce major top 5 GC sorting out action in the last 5kms? Would it produce attacks from further out (even on the Madeleine) if they finished after 16.5 kms (at roughly 6.5%, Still tough)?

It could be like that with the riders afraid to attack early due to monstrous climb to the finish. Still, even last 5 km can make large differences due to cumulative fatigue plus there may be some long-distance attacks of contenders who lost time earlier.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
I believe Col de la Loze is the kind of climb where real attacks may start late but the sheer fatigue should see significant riders drop before attacks already happen. If it were largely a uniclimb stage I'd say 'final 5km nothing more' but having Madeleine from the hard side should make sure the entirety of the Col de la Loze can be raced.

Col de Portet had attacks very early on in 2018. But that climb was more suited for earlier attacks though.

Last edited:
valjo98 at Le Gruppetto posted all the missing stage profiles / maps. not sure if they are 100% correct, but valjo probably went with the small stage profiles released by ASO, so I guess they should be pretty close.

(page 149)

Odd: Sisteron - Orcières-Merlette is via Col du Festre. Looks like a way to keep the number of second, first and "hors" category climbs down.

In the small profile released by ASO only Orcières is categorized, so all the other climbs should be 3rd and below. The profile looks better than expected. Pretty good soft medium mountain stage.

The Sarran stage looks like an Alaphilippe Special. I like it a lot better than the disappointing Puy Mary stage profile.

The Lyon stage profile is okay. I wouldn't call it a flat stage.

The Champagnole stage is not too hard, but maybe not a sprinters' stage, if the profile is correct. Some short ramps close to the finish.

Reactions: Red Rick
I believe Col de la Loze is the kind of climb where real attacks may start late but the sheer fatigue should see significant riders drop before attacks already happen. If it were largely a uniclimb stage I'd say 'final 5km nothing more' but having Madeleine from the hard side should make sure the entirety of the Col de la Loze can be raced.

Col de Portet had attacks very early on in 2018. But that climb was more suited for earlier attacks though.
While due to coming late in the race and Madeleine being really difficult I can also see the racing start early on the climb I think the most likely scenario is still all the significant attacks will be on the final five km. Thing is, on a climb that hard, on this altitude you can easily lose minutes even on 5 km. Stages like these have the tendency to completely explode near the end after looking rather dull for the most part. I like the Lagu Serru comparions you made earlier. I know Landa attacked on the first hard part of the climb, but most favorites were still together going into that 2nd hard part of the climb, which is also just 6 km long and produced huge gaps.

While due to coming late in the race and Madeleine being really difficult I can also see the racing start early on the climb I think the most likely scenario is still all the significant attacks will be on the final five km. Thing is, on a climb that hard, on this altitude you can easily lose minutes even on 5 km. Stages like these have the tendency to completely explode near the end after looking rather dull for the most part. I like the Lagu Serru comparions you made earlier. I know Landa attacked on the first hard part of the climb, but most favorites were still together going into that 2nd hard part of the climb, which is also just 6 km long and produced huge gaps.
In the Lago Serru stage a lot of dudes went knida crazy early on though, so a lot of matches were burnt.

But huge climbs like the Madeleine can sort of throw the general rules of 'wait till the obvious point of attack' out the window. Like Nibali attacked towards the end of the easier section of the Lombarde in the 2016 Giro. That sort of stuff.

Climbs like the Madeleine tend to fry domestiques much harder. If the Madeleine pace is really slow I can see an earlier attack winning the stage simply because a slow Madeleine ascent will literally give away minutes.

But the main issue with that climb is probably just how steep the final 5km are. I also think people perhaps look a bit too much into the altitude, the majority of the climb is much lower.

All in all. I don't really like the stage. It either decides the Tour in one climb or it underdelivers. Worst case scenario it does both. Luckily Tourmalet 2019 is not really possible.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS