• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The climbs are different but the world champs is usually the most hard-raced and fatigue inducing race on the circuit and when the climbs were being raced hard he dropped.
Yes, a hard race doesn't suit this whimp who got dropped like a turd in the mountains after doing loads of work.
Isn't Tim Wellens usually very strong in cold weather and rain? I remember his performance in the 2016 version of Tour of Poland, but hasn't also excelled in other races with similar shitty weather conditions?

Supposedly.

96-779IT.GIF

Yes, a hard race doesn't suit this whimp who got dropped like a turd in the mountains after doing loads of work.

I understand and appreciate the snarkiness but another thing to consider is that he may begin to be fatigued. I know it certainly didn't seem like that at the end of the Tour but it's now seven and a half weeks since he won Strade Bianche and he has been flying throughout that entire period. Maybe there is a limit. Or he may of course just become World Champion and win Flanders and Roubaix and the Vuelta and the Giro and Roland Garros.

I understand and appreciate the snarkiness but another thing to consider is that he may begin to be fatigued. I know it certainly didn't seem like that at the end of the Tour but it's now seven and a half weeks since he won Strade Bianche and he has been flying throughout that entire period. Maybe there is a limit. Or he may of course just become World Champion and win Flanders and Roubaix and the Vuelta and the Giro and Roland Garros.
Of course. But the arguments presented were simply all over the place.

Isn't Tim Wellens usually very strong in cold weather and rain? I remember his performance in the 2016 version of Tour of Poland, but hasn't also excelled in other races with similar shitty weather conditions?

He has proven himself to be good in rainy (let's say Flemish) weather.
However, usually in races of lesser quality/importance like the tour of Pologne or the Canadian Classics.
Further, there's no real way of knowing how good he is. Missed the TdF because of a fall during training and hasn't raced much since.

I'd much sooner put my money on any of the guys climbing good in de TdF.

Yes, all the soft ones quit when the weather gets hard :cool:

You actually are happy when the vast majority of the peloton says enough and walks away. Sorry but that's not good racing. As another poster said, the skinny climbers will be freezing and end up with the beginnings of hypothermia. That was something a lot of riders left last year's Worlds with. It's looking like that could easily happen with this one as well.

Last edited:
Van Aert will not win if the world is a bit normal. Too long, too wet, too much climbing. Let alone the climbing should make him not ride it. But he has been glowing full on at the tour, so the circus might be out.

Kwiatkowski
Fuglsang
Geraint Thomas, if he competes?
Asgreen
Nibali
Too much climbing for van Aert... so Asgreen!

You actually are happy when the vast majority of the peloton says enough and walks away. Sorry but that's not good racing. As another poster said, the skinny climbers will be freezing and end up with the beginnings of hypothermia. That was something a lot of riders left last year's Worlds with. It's looking like that could easily happen with this one as well.

Weather has always been a part of road cycling, it's what causes diversity in races, instead of just being repeat performances year in and year out.

Riders that cannot cope with different kinds of weather, can get a very good track career :cool:

Ganna the favorite in the ITT?
I would say yes. But Campenaerts is good at peaking. Dumoulin was better than i expected him to be last week. Not sure what to make of van Aert's first 30k section last week, on the flat part, where he was 50s slower than Dumoulin. I assume that was calculated but still. Dennis looked way off last week, but then again, it's Dennis. He's often off when it's not a major event. Then there's Küng & Cavagna who might cause an upset. Thomas may surprise me, but i don't think he's going to be a main contender.

Nah. The guys who got dropped outside Doha got dropped way later than the guys who missed echelons in Doha. Riders will just often finish the race if they're there anyway and they drop with 1 or 2 laps to go.

In Doha there were massive echelons and everyone except those who made the first 2 groups DNF as soon as possible. The 2nd echelons then was only 1 minute or so back for most of the race on the circuit
Everyone in the 3rd group and behind got pulled over by the race marshalls with a lap to go. Lots of racers wanted to finish, but just weren't allowed.

Everyone who climbed off in Yorkshire climbed off because they wanted to climb off.

So you actually like races that only a few riders finish. I call those abject disasters.

I might as well say: "So you actually prefer track racing?" ;)

Road cycling is endurance sport, it's supposed to be outdoors, in all kinds of weather, and it is supposed to be hard.

If an endurance sport is not hard enough, to make some people quit, you are doing it wrong :sunglasses:

Oh, and by the way, 35 degrees and sunny is also "weather", far from all riders perform well in the heat.

I suspect your position is being heavily influenced, by your favorite riders struggling in "northern" conditions ;)

I might as well say: "So you actually prefer track racing?" ;)

Road cycling is endurance sport, it's supposed to be outdoors, in all kinds of weather, and it is supposed to be hard.

If an endurance sport is not hard enough, to make some people quit, you are doing it wrong :sunglasses:

Oh, and by the way, 35 degrees and sunny is also "weather", far from all riders perform well in the heat.

I suspect your position is being heavily influenced, by your favorite riders struggling in "northern" conditions ;)

More like I moved south to get away from those that kind of weather.

To race in cloudy and mid 70's to mid 80's F is likely the best to race in. Cold without rain or rain in warmer temps is also better than cold and rain which will cause hypothermia, which many riders left last year's race due to.