• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 World Championships - now confirmed for Imola, Italy.

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What Nibali said after recon:

"There is an initial climb... like a slight false flat, in a group you feel good. Then there are two other climbs, much more challenging, to do them 'standing'. The first of these two is more difficult in the initial part. Then there is the part that takes you to Riolo, and a descent that looks like a 'corkscrew'. Almost everything, let's say 90%, has been paved".

"The second climb is tougher in the final part. As if it were one of the classic Tuscan 'poggi'. Always climb up, without going down... Then the real descent comes after a few kilometers. But nothing dangerous. It is straight, there is only one curve. It tightens a little bit the roadway but nothing much. It's going to be 260 kilometers, and in the end it's going to get really hard."

Reactions: Sandisfan
But it is a bit weird how you completely dismiss so many other riders who objectively have much better chances than Nibali, yet keep going how he is the second biggest favourite...
I didn't claim he was a favorite at all. Any hyping I've done on Nibalis side has strictly been rooted in the same little fantasyland where Contador can still win another Tour and surely Andy Murray is gonna win the Australian Open this year. Best I hope for from Nibbles is like Vlaanderen 2018 where he initiates the winning move in a moment of genius then gets dropped cause he has no legs.

I didn't claim he was a favorite at all. Any hyping I've done on Nibalis side has strictly been rooted in the same little fantasyland where Contador can still win another Tour and surely Andy Murray is gonna win the Australian Open this year. Best I hope for from Nibbles is like Vlaanderen 2018 where he initiates the winning move in a moment of genius then gets dropped cause he has no legs.

Olay, my apologies then.

Reactions: Red Rick
Former riders? I think I have to be clued in a little bit more (honestly, I don't know/remember what you're referring to).

There was a debate on former riders (now commentators) calling Col de la Loze the toughest climb in the Tour ever, which people in here disputed citing the profile instead.

Anyway, just a tongue in cheek remark, since I thought you took the opposite stance on that one, but I clearly have confused you with someone else :)

• Haha
Fuglsang has to be the number one favourite for this.
He loves this kind of short and steep climbs and he is the current LBL and Lombardia champion.

However there a significant number of riders that can win it as well among which Pogačar, Roglic, Valverde, Woods and Van Aert are a step above the rest

I don't really agree Fuglsang prefers short, sharp climbs, he's always been more of a grinder.

He has improved his punch a bit the last couple of years, but he is no Alaphilippe or Pogacar on that type of climb.

If he is to take it, he will need to make the race hard and tire them out, so that he can do his usual edging away by having more power thing.

There was a debate on former riders (now commentators) calling Col de la Loze the toughest climb in the Tour ever, which people in here disputed citing the profile instead.

Anyway, just a tongue in cheek remark, since I thought you took the opposite stance on that one, but I clearly have confused you with someone else :)

I almost always agree with you, so I can't fathom why you would think that ;)

Reactions: Broccolidwarf
Very, very hard. As I said earlier I only see real climbers doing good here. I see that Van Aert stands as a no.1 favorite, but I think he won't be able to go with Fuglsang, Valverde and co. when they put the hammer down on the steep stuff.
Valverde was dropped by Van Aert on the steep stuff in one of the hardest mountain stages of the TdF just a couple days ago.

TRENDING THREADS