• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Canazei - Sega di Ala 193 km

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How acquainted shall we be with the finish line during the stage?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Just the regular Bernie stuff

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Few shots due to loss of live coverage

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • They might show some shots of more than a few seconds...

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • All the finish line shots!

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters
That has to be Martin's best win. He has always seemed like a defensive guy that waited for the final kilometres for a five/sometimes ten minute turbo effort, don't remember long range attacks. But Remco would have won the stage if not for the crash.

You are kidding me right ?
Dan Martin won his Tour stage on a long range attack
He won the Vuelta Catalunya on a long range attack
He is a Lombardy and LBL winner

Remco would not have won the stage..not even come close...
I might as well say Viviani would have won the stage

No foundation and no sense ...just a load of ill informed hype
Also if Remco wants to learn about long distance wining then he would do well to study Dan Martin

He won the Vuelta Catalunya on a long range attack
He is a Lombardy and LBL winner

Remco would not have won the stage..not even come close...
I might as well say Viviani would have won the stage

No foundation and no sense ...just a load of ill informed hype
Also if Remco wants to learn about long distance wining then he would do well to study Dan Martin
In terms of the quality of the ride, this would be his most impressive win by a big margin.

15 seconds in 1km at 5.5% vs the next strongest rider was a lot. I guess in addition to it being easier, his pacing once again meant that he had much more left in the tank
True. Btw, I still have an impression that Yates hasn't gone full gas even once so far in this race (Almeida was clearly sprinting that last part). Both on Zoncolan and today he looked for me like riding for 95%.

See I actually don't value the number of days that highly. In part it all comes down to parcours and how the race develops. Overall while that performance was promising I think that was kind of a peculiar Giro. Almeida's performance was impressive but not because of how long he held the jersey imo.

Keep in mind that he only grabbed it by being less than 1s ahead of the breakaway. But I can grant that Almeida would have taken it over a few stages later anyway. But mostly Almeida's run in pink got greatly aided by Wilco Kelderman being bad in the prologue. Like really wtf happened there. If Kelderman rides a decent prologue for his level than Almeida's run in pink may have been shortened quite a bit.

Anyway whole point is that I find looking at amount of days in pink a bit too results based. Because of how much variance there is to how hard it is to keep the jersey and the luck that can enter into play.

Well it's same venue and race for everone to take and deliver on the year they enter.

I am really impressed by Fosse, such a great climber for such a big guy

More impressive for me as a GT potential than Evenepoel

It made sense today, considering they did finish close to the city of Fosse (although his name is Foss).

Only one of his stage wins came from a longe range attack, and he won that in a sprint against Fuglsang.

Did no one say it yet? Alright. Bernal must have paid for the effort of all those intermediate sprints, just like Evenepoel.

I did :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: Eshnar
Fantastic stage win for Dan Martin! He's an old school guy with an ugly style but immense character. He did a superb final climb. The GC guys went full without taking much back. In the final kilometers he went faster than Bernal - which is hard to believe.

Bernal is still favourite to win the Giro, but less so than this morning. Was it just a bad day, or is his back problem re-emerging? He all of a sudden looks vulnerable and this Giro isn't decided yet.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes

TRENDING THREADS