• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 20: Verbania – Alpe Motta 165 km

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

WIll Bernal crack?

• Yes, on the 1st climb

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Yes, on the penultimate climb

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Yes, on the final climb

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • No, he will only lose a small amount of time at the end of the stage

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • No, he will be able to follow his competitors

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, he will destroy everyone

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good stage.
I'm wondering how the people are feeling who were proclaiming Yates the strongest rider of this Giro?!

As was mentioned in these forums yesterday, GT spectators suffer from recency bias. People seem to have forgotten the degree to which Bernal aggressively obliterated his opponents during the first two weeks, building a (barring technical difficulties tomorrow or a Pogačaresque TT ride from Caruso) virtually unassailable lead.

No, but here's a nice story told last week by the hero of the day:

"As an amateur, I lived in the same farmhouse where Nibali was staying. We are three years apart: when I arrived there, Vincenzo was seen as a legend, he was a God. He used to come and play table football with us even when he was a professional and had his house 200 meters away from us. And he never accepted to lose, he has always been very proud and stubborn, it's his strength. But when he lost, we forced him to go under the football table".
I love this so much.

As was mentioned in these forums yesterday, GT spectators suffer from recency bias. People seem to have forgotten the degree to which Bernal aggressively obliterated his opponents during the first two weeks, building a (barring technical difficulties tomorrow or a Pogačaresque TT ride from Caruso) virtually unassailable lead.
People were calling Yates the strongest at that moment, and they might have expected Yates to be stronger today as well, which he wasn't.

The disappointment is that if an Ineos rider is the strongest in the race one or two days their win is never in doubt.

GC
Clipboard.gif

People were calling Yates the strongest at that moment, and they might have expected Yates to be stronger today as well, which he wasn't.

The disappointment is that if an Ineos rider is the strongest in the race one or two days their win is never in doubt.
Uh no, several were proclaiming that SY was the strongest of the Giro, but he 'just didn't have the support'.

If Yates or any other rider is strong why don't they just sit on EB's wheel (behind his team). When EB goes, be on his wheel. People talk about his team like he's riding on a travois behind them. He's riding just as hard as anyone.

I was one of those who said that. :)

I was clapping my hands when my namesake was crossing the line to a brilliant win. I'm also perfectly fine with Bernal 95% winning this bike race and happy that Colombia has another GC prospect with Dani Martinez after Uran and Quintana are more and more possibly not reaching their former glory while Bernal's health problems are unsure. If he'll win a Vuelta within next years to claim all GTs won then i feel he has a very good pedigree for Lombardia and LBL, where i guess those back problems may not be as important.

If everything goes as supposed, Almeida puts 1 minute on Martinez in a 30k flat iTT. But it will also depends on how they will recover from todays effort.
Assuming that Martinez is top form, motivated and not over-fatigued, not sure if I would favour Almeida to gain 1 minute over him on any kind of ITT ever.

Last year on long and flat WC ITT Martinez only lost 1:52 to Ganna and less than 1:30 to 2nd Van Aert and I bet it wasn't even one of his major goals of the season to peak for unlike for many of those who fought for medals. Almeida is nowhere near the level of Ganna or Van Aert on flat a ITT IMO so it's far from given he will gain that much on Dani, unless the Colombian emptied himself on those mountain stages.

Assuming that Martinez is top form, motivated and not over-fatigued, not sure if I would favour Almeida to gain 1 minute over him on any kind of ITT ever.

Last year on long and flat WC ITT Martinez only lost 1:52 to Ganna and less than 1:30 to 2nd Van Aert and I bet it wasn't even one of his major goals for the season to peak for unlike for many of those who fought for medals. Almeida is nowhere near the level of Ganna or Van Aert on flat a ITT IMO so it's far from given he will gain that much on Dani, unless he emptied himself on those mountain stages.
He was also only 6sec behind Almeida in the 13km ITT in the UAE Tour this year, Dani Martinez is more than capable of riding a good TT.

Reactions: zepecat
Reactions: Avoriaz and Carols
Stages yesterday and today were very different in terms of racing, but the gaps between the top 8 on GC on the stage were not substantially different (even if the order was).

it seems today downhills were more decisive than uphills which is not a bad thing, but it again highlights the need for a hopefully more selective final mountain stage next year

Reactions: jmdirt

Last year on long and flat WC ITT Martinez only lost 1:52 to Ganna and less than 1:30 to 2nd Van Aert and I bet it wasn't even one of his major goals of the season to peak for unlike for many of those who fought for medals. Almeida is nowhere near the level of Ganna or Van Aert on flat a ITT IMO so it's far from given he will gain that much on Dani, unless the Colombian emptied himself on those mountain stages.

Sure that Almeida hasn't the level of Ganna or Van Aert but If both are on the same kind of form tomorrow and being a 30k flat iTT Almeida will put around 1 minute on Martinez. But we'll see it tomorrow what happens

I think Almeida -Martinez should depend on the form of the day and how well they got through these weeks. On their day they are probably both able to beat each other (well, not on the same day... you know what I mean).
Almeida might be more ambitious tomorrow, although Martinez has fought for a good spot for himself in this race as much as was possible in his role, too.
Interesting "duel" in any case.

TRENDING THREADS