• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro d'Italia, Stage 9: Castel di Sangro - Campo Felice (Rocca di Cambio) 158 km (Sunday May 16)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What will happen on stage 9?

• Remco will take Pink

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • At least two of Pellaud, Tagliani, Cepeda and Ponomar will be in the break

• Bahrain Victorious

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Someone (most likely Dan Martin) will crash in the tunnel just before the sterrato climb

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Someone will suffer from back pain

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Mollema will be bullied again

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Ganna will lead the peloton for 100 km on his own

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Thomas De Gendt will avenge the death of Ewan's knee with Einer Rubio in his wheel

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Ciccone will attack like a madman

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Vino

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my opinion if Evenepoel wants to win he will have to think of a way to claw back time in hillier stages or at least pressure Bernal there, instead of putting it all on the line in the TT.
Because even though I am not convinced yet that Bernal will utterly crush him on the Zoncolan and related mountains, I do agree that it is likely that Bernal will continue to gain time and probably more than enough to survive the TT.

Of course, anything can happen, but that does seem like a likely scenario atm.

We have yet to see if Bernal can actually make such an attack stick for longer than 1-2 km. If he can't then this race is definitely not over.
I don't think even the most hardcore Remco fanboys are surprised that Bernal is capable of distancing him in short attacks.

That does not equate to him being able to simply put minutes into Evenepoel over a long-range attack.
1-2 km attack is not even secondary Bernal weapon.

Reactions: Blanco
In my opinion if Evenepoel wants to win he will have to think of a way to claw back time in hillier stages or at least pressure Bernal there, instead of putting it all on the line in the TT.
Because even though I am not convinced yet that Bernal will utterly crush him on the Zoncolan and related mountains, I do agree that it is likely that Bernal will continue to gain time and probably more than enough to survive the TT.

Of course, anything can happen, but that does seem like a likely scenario atm.
He has to be able to as well. The fact that he's still where he is now, is exceeding everyone's expectations and superb as it is. It's easy to forget where he's coming from.

IMHO it is indicative to some point. Bernal was superior to Remco on every single climb so far and I think it's quite unlikely to be different on longer ones. Actually Bernal's advantage should be even more exposed

So far there has been more explosive climbs and racing.

That doesnt really suit Remco compared to most of the others.

And he has still finished the times he has been distanced very good, so it is not like he has been empty or gone too deep.

I wouldnt count the kid out just yet, is my point.

Bernal has been on fire but he needs more time and to increase his lead further, not just to Remco.

Riding agressive could make him fade though in the end and if his back will be good for the entire race is also a concern.

Far from over this, but right now he is looking the best.

TRENDING THREADS