• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2021 Giro Rosa - 2nd to 11th July

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So far no one's been able to beat Brown's time. Longo Borghini was 1:21 behind, Leah Thomas 1:30 and Ruth Winder 1:34.

Aalerud overtook Cille and nearly catched Koppenburg and is now in second place at 57 seconds behind Brown.
But Cavalli was 20 seconds faster than the Norwegian.

HMWIJ3o.png

szOi5HT.png

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting sestricidal battle incoming at Monte Matajûr it seems. Don't know which way I want it to go. I'm a big Vollering fan and she will gain me beaucoup points in the prediction game, but Ash is a long-time favourite who's had a bad couple of years and is getting up there in age whereas Demi will have many more chances to top the ladder, and it's great to see the South African at her best again.

Four out of the six Bizkaia-Durango riders missed the time cut. Chiara Consonni, Sheyla Gutierrez and Maëlle Grossetete are also out as well as the two Balducci sisters, Francesca and Michela, Elise Vander Sande, who isn't related to Tosh Van der Sande, though his wife is actually also named Elise, and two other riders.

Yeah, she's been riding great. I wonder how far she is behind Fisher-Black in the youth classification now. They cut the broadcast before they got to it.

Young rider classification:

Fisher-Black
Realini +42s
Muzic +1:31

Realini was 2:41 behind after the TTT so she's catching fast, if she can avoid losing more time on the flatter stages like on stage 3. The gap between Fisher-Black and Muzic is entirely from the TTT, they've finished the other stages 1,3 and 5 seconds apart.

Interesting that she can TT then.
She's a cyclocrosser and this ITT was not the most immediate in terms of telling TT ability being more or less an MTT, but I guess perhaps the best point of comparison would be Emma Pooley, who was strong in the ITT despite being about 1m 50 and weighing less than José Rujano's left buttock. And if Gaia can achieve half of what Emma did I'm sure she'd retire happy.

Reactions: yaco
Young rider classification:

Fisher-Black
Realini +42s
Muzic +1:31

Realini was 2:41 behind after the TTT so she's catching fast, if she can avoid losing more time on the flatter stages like on stage 3. The gap between Fisher-Black and Muzic is entirely from the TTT, they've finished the other stages 1,3 and 5 seconds apart.

SD Worx will ride conservatively to maintain AVD's lead which will also help Fisher Black in the young riders classification , as she can sit in the peleton, instead of setting pace on hillier parts of the parcours.

Seems like the riders were not informed of the time limit, Grossette is heartbroken bc she took it easy to save herself for the rest of the race, which might be the case for other riders like Sheyla G. Norsgaard was not that far from missing the cut off either, and though her strength in TTs primarily lie on flatter courses, I bet she could have improved her time significantly if she gave her all instead of, presumably, saving herself for today's stage.

I doubt Realini is shorter than Merino, but she's probably not much taller either. Judged by this picture, I'd say she's 155-158 cm., so Mathias Norsgaard could also easily carry her like a baby.

Gaia-Realini-628x356-1.jpg

SD Worx will try to get stage wins for some their other riders and that could include Fisher-Black, too. Unless she cracks on Matajur or Muzic ends up in a break without her, I think she'll hold on to the white jersey.