• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Pre-race poll.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted for Carapaz.
Second favorite: Almeida
Outsiders: MAL, Landa, Yates
Question marks: The Bora guys and especially Buchmann. Him, Kelderman, Hindley and Kämna are in theory a really strong team.

The Bora guys will achieve nothing.
Kelderman was sick and now crashed at Liege, Hindley got sick before Liege.

Buchmann is interesting, a source told me despite his bad results this year he was right on track to be in best shape for Giro, but he also got sick at the end of Itzulia and lost some days of practice. He is feeling good again, but now a top 5 would be a miracle.

Reactions: Sandisfan
  1. Carapaz, probably a default top 3 favorite, but hasn't done much this year.
  2. Simon Yates, so good on his good days and too bad on his bad days. If he can not suck for 3 weeks and fly for a day or two he's the out and out favorite.
  3. Almeida. Very solid top 5 bet but I don't think I've seen the improvement to put him on top of the list
  4. Landa. #freelanda will live forever. No other man may get 4th place.
  5. MAL. This may be his single biggest shot at a GT win. The route is very good for him. The ball is in his court, the bag is in his team.
  6. Buchmann. Has he even done anything in the last 2 years? Should probably just go for stages.
  7. Dumoulin. I can see him taking pink on stage 2. Dumoulin can be top 3, can be outside top 20. I just hope he wins the first ITT and has a good Giro afterwards
  8. Kelderman. Never gonna eclipse that 3rd place, but I hope he goes for stages and picks one off.
  9. Geoghan Hart. Can confirm meme GT winner status.
  10. Vincenzo. He's the God. Obviously. Results don't matter. All we matter is if we believe.
  11. Valverde. Can probably top 10 but top 5 will be hard. Hard for him to win a stage I think if he goes for GC but then the sprinty climby boy field isn't that strong here. Stage 1 looks a bit too easy for him to have a shot vs MvdP.
  12. Richie Porte. Can low key get a good result. Kinda root for him to win a stage. If he wins the whole thing it is for the memes and he was the true God all along.
Please Vinnie do not go for 11th place in GC

I did not realize Carapaz is doing the Giro.

It seems odd considering Bernal is out of the Tour & we know Carapaz likes to build form towards his objective where he has a pretty good peak (like winning the Tour de Suisse last year before getting the podium in the Tour). We've seen nothing similar this year. Simon Yates should be favorite, even just based on his Paris-Nice form. But he then had problems in Catalunya so he hasn't had a linear progression towards the Giro either.

My bet is someone totally new (not on the list), almost unrated, but with loads of untapped potential steps up & wins. Or maybe not & Ineos just smash it like they're smashing most races this spring. But whatever happens, I don't find that list of 'favorites' particularly inspiring or offering guarantees. Beaucoup uncertainty, basically.

I did not realize Carapaz is doing the Giro.

It seems odd considering Bernal is out of the Tour & we know Carapaz likes to build form towards his objective where he has a pretty good peak (like winning the Tour de Suisse last year before getting the podium in the Tour). We've seen nothing similar this year. Simon Yates should be favorite, even just based on his Paris-Nice form. But he then had problems in Catalunya so he hasn't had a linear progression towards the Giro either.

My bet is someone totally new (not on the list), almost unrated, but with loads of untapped potential steps up & wins. Or maybe not & Ineos just smash it like they're smashing most races this spring. But whatever happens, I don't find that list of 'favorites' particularly inspiring or offering guarantees. Beaucoup uncertainty, basically.
He only raced (and won) Asturias in the month before the Giro the two previous times he has done the Giro, and it's getting quite common to skip Romandie and Trentino, so I wouldn't put much emphasis on that.

I agree with the general consensus here that this race is wide open. It's ridiculous to me that Carapaz is being given a 50% chance to win by bookmakers. He is clearly the most consistent of the contenders, but his best isn't necessarily better, and if it is then there isn't much of a difference between he and Yates/Landa/Lopez on their good days.

Something really weird could happen, like Porte or Valverde winning; though still admittedly unlikely.

Let's see too if Hart and/or Hindley can remove the shackles of their one hit wonder tags. All in all I think this will be a fascinating race, even if the course is slightly underwhelming.

The problem for Almeida is that even if he takes that next step, it's still an awful route for him.

Barring him? We only have six former GT winners here. Four of those (Nibali, Valverde, Dumoulin and TGH) are almost certainly not winning this and Yates is flaky so it's hard to look past Carapaz, but I definitely agree that the circumstances for someone surprising stepping it up and winning the whole thing. Would love for that person to be Bilbao or Landa but I can't see it.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS