• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 National Championships

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Aert had just started showing signs? He had just won the Dauphiné TT. That's not showing signs, that's rubbing your face in it. Showing signs was when he beat Martin in 2016. Jeez, why the hell am i even responding to this nonsense.
No, 40k is not long for WCC TT's and it was as flat as they get. As to the original statement, i think the gap between Italy's nr1 and nr2 is bigger than the gap between Belgium's nr2 and nr3. Ganna, Van Aert and Evenepoel are all world class TTers. and the gap between them and the rest of Belgium/Italy's best is large enough to completely render the discussion whether Lampaert could beat Affini or Cattaneo could beat Van Wilder by 10 seconds, irrelevant, because they would all finish a minute later than Ganna, Van Aert and Evenepoel. And The fact that Belgium has 2, and Italy just 1 worldclass TTer, quite easily trumps any battly for mere seconds between the mortals.

Affini, Italy's number 2, managed 9th... over a minute behind Belgium's number 2. And Italy's number 3, Sobrero, finished 2m 20s behind Evenepoel. Do you understand?

And yet, once more i will try to explain, my response was to him dismissing Lampaert, while proposing the likes of Moscon and Bettiol. Yet, instead of telling him Moscon is a non-factor, and even Bettiol is up for debate, you chose to attack my argument, which was a direct reply to his statement dismissing Lampaert and proposing the likes of Moscon/Bettiol to begin with. which you have since acknowledged you agree was not correct. I could try and type it slower if it's still not clear.
If you're going to spend half of a long post deflecting by saying Belgium's TT top two is better than Italy's (duh) when the discussion was never about that, and the other half going back and forth between claiming entitlement to me backing you up in an argument and insulting my intelligence (two scummy things in their own right, but absolutely laughable when combined), there's absolutely zero point in continuing this discussion. The rest of the forum will be relieved, I'm sure ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
If you're going to spend half of a long post deflecting by saying Belgium's TT top two is better than Italy's (duh) when the discussion was never about that, and the other half going back and forth between claiming entitlement to me backing you up in an argument and insulting my intelligence (two scummy things in their own right, but absolutely laughable when combined), there's absolutely zero point in continuing this discussion. The rest of the forum will be relieved, I'm sure ;)
The discussion was also about that. You just choose to enter it half way because you couldn't resist going in debate with me.
There is no point in continuing the discussion because there was no point in starting it to begin with. But don't blame me for that.

Last edited:
Portuguese ITT just finished.

Men:
1º Rafael Reis (Glassdrive-Q8-Anicolor), 40m23s
2º Ivo Oliveira (UAE Team Emirates), 40m52s
3 º João Almeida (UAE Team Emirates), 41m04s

Women:
1º Daniela Campos (Bizkaia-Durango), 32m35s
2º Beatriz Pereira (Bizkaia-Durango), 32m42s
3º Ana Caramelo (Kiwi Atlantico Louriña), 32m47s

I guess Almeida didn't recover well from the Giro and covid.

Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
Last year he won against Rafael Reis by 54 seconds. This year he lost by 41 seconds.

Even if the TT level dropped, it wouldn't be by this much.
Reis seems to be hit and miss, this year he was beaten by Julien Bernard and Russo in the Algarve ITT, last year he almost beat Asgreen and finished 2nd, ahead of Bejamin Thomas. It's Portugal, so those kind of things should be taken with a grain of salt.
Still, last year Reis was only 17 sec behind Almeida in the EC ITT, so him being in great shape and Almeida being a bit off after his Covid break or the UAE TT bike set-up being clearly worse than his old one could explain the result.

Reactions: Sandisfan
At first I was entertained, then I was just annoyed at the usual blowhard writing several essays in response to the totally uncontroversial statement that Italy has a very strong TT lineup. Remco and Belgian friends vs the world in every thread is excruciatingly dull, bring back the Contador and Schleck stans. At least they were entertaining in a slightly deranged way.
Bring back the Ullrich and Armstrong fans from the old German Eurosport forum in the mid 2000s. That truly was the Wild West. And wildly entertaining in a completely deranged way.

You can’t make such a definitive conclusion when the sample size his as big as 3; 4 if you include this one just after covid.
Ok so you want to get into the semantics. I have no interest in getting into a discussion about that, and clearly neither does anybody else. Let me rephrase, so there is no reason for this to get dragged out. His level in the TT's he has finished so far this year, prior to the NC, was lower than the previous two seasons. Would this be ok with you? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Those crazy big teams...

289028799_1331214720738840_7938784847299741390_n.jpg

At first I only saw the top, and was wondering if it was the lineup for the Tour, and then...

OTOH, FDJ are actually being remarkably reasonable in their team size.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS