• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Fossacesia Marina – Ortona 19.6 km ITT (Saturday, May 6th)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Roglič was at 10-20 seconds that would be almost bonus second territory. If Remco can just cruise around from now on it‘s either because Roglič and the others lack confidence and never really believed they could win the Giro anyway or because Remco is so amazing that the amount of TT is irrelevant and he‘s nosebreathing up the climbs.
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the RCS given what has happened in the time since they had to plan the route. But it seems to be generally assumed that they only included so much TT to attract Evenepoel, so the danger of something like this happening was there after The Vuelta. In terms of what has happened since, Catalunya just shows that this was an incorrect decision.

I agree in theory it would have been nice if the gap to Roglic had been 10-20 seconds, he would have had do something other than sit on Remco's wheel for 99% of The Giro.

The reality is, and was always more likely, that with so much TT, Evenepoel can cruise round. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't got much interest in watching a cagey fight for the podium after the first day?
good. turn it off.
I'll be watching intently the insane stages in week 3 seeing Remco getting attacked by everyone

Reactions: jmdirt
Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on the RCS given what has happened in the time since they had to plan the route. But it seems to be generally assumed that they only included so much TT to attract Evenepoel, so the danger of something like this happening was there after The Vuelta. In terms of what has happened since, Catalunya just shows that this was an incorrect decision.

There is nothing wrong with this

Maybe the others should spend less time practicing climbing and more time in the wind tunnel, just as riders used to do

The most worrying part regarding Roglic's TT is the climb. It should have been part of the plan to gain some time during the final, no? Some did exactly that (Hart, Almeida ...). I would think he would at least gain 5-10s on Remco on the climb but in the end he didn't gain anything. So either he went over his limit during the flat part (being informed about the gap with Remco?) or there may be a different issue (overtrained, dip due to altitude camp, peaked to early this season, covid...).

Remco dismantled the field...WOW! It's still early, but time lost needs to be made up and 43" is a nice chunk.

The best of the rest wasn't Geraint as I predicted: Almeida rode like the wind, hats off to him. Tao +11", Vine +17", Thomas and Vlasov +26", Kamna +54", Mollema +58", Caruso +59", Uran +1'06", Pinot +1'14", Carthy +1'27", Pozzo +1'42", Barguil +2'39".

Give the jersey away on stage 4, with a big group in front so he can pass a lot of riders in the TT.
Wouldn't do that. Remco should go for the stage win at Lago Laceno. Proof another point. Kill off Roglic as main adversary.

Then, he can lean away the jersey at Gran Sasso d'Italia. Ideally to someone like Taaramäe with a big enough margin that he keeps it after the TT & Crans Montana. Also after Laceno Quick Step is going to have a reference whether someone like Kämna is up there or can be allowed going up the road. No one else is going to chase for that uphill sprint then either.

Someone like Lorenzo Fortunato is looking out for his Giro d'Italia stage victory then already.

Wouldn't do that. Remco should go for the stage win at Lago Laceno. Proof another point. Kill off Roglic as main adversary.

Then, he can lean away the jersey at Gran Sasso d'Italia. Ideally to someone like Taaramäe with a big enough margin that he keeps it after the TT & Crans Montana. Also after Laceno Quick Step is going to have a reference whether someone like Kämna is up there or can be allowed going up the road. No one else is going to chase for that uphill sprint then either.

Someone like Lorenzo Fortunato is looking out for his Giro d'Italia stage victory then already.

Evenepoel won't drop Roglič on a climb. He might win a bunch sprint or a two man sprint but "kill of Rog" won't happen.

This isn't last year's Vuelta.

Given that we here are some monster back-to-back climbs at altitude I think it’s possible for any of the leaders to have a bit of an off day and get dropped.

Of course, but I'm talking specifically stage 4 whereby the post I responded to insinuated Rog could be killed off as a GC threat on Tuesday.

Unless there's something very off about Rog (covid?), that really won't happen.

Reactions: jmdirt and Sciatic

TRENDING THREADS