• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 13: Borgofranco d’Ivrea – Crans Montana, 199 km (Friday, May 19th)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Headwind? The final climb is a typical zig-zag but on average headed north while according to the forecast 6 mph breeze was coming from the east. So yeah some would have been headwind but most would not
Thats my last hope. If stage 19 is not shortened or cancelled, which is a big if, then at least we have that. Just looking at it, by far the best stage this year.

Fell asleep during the last hour, but can see that I didnt miss much. Really looked forward to Croix de Couer, but its obviously not gonna matter in under these circumstances. Nice climb, but its just a bunch of meh.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Nice deflection.

You can go back one year to the post Giro 2022 poll here & I was one of the only posters who gave the race a good score. So you might be barking up the wrong tree here, i.e. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to watching bikes races.

And so what Rogla didn't drop a bomb? The answer regarding 'why' he didn't is also pretty evident (team preservation) & despite the fact I enjoy it when he wins (obviously) I can totally get why the race unfolded the way it did today.

And I bet the next time there is a super short mountain stage in a gt every commentator will have forgotten about today and talk about how those always lead to a great spectacle.
A broken clock is always right twice a day innit?

Im fed up with experts and commentators at this point. Some of these guys just make to so sick that I think I at times just should watch it muted, lol. Brian Holm, a former hardman, saying he obviously would have voted for the shortening despite not being a single reason outside of rain to actually shorten it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thats my last hope. If stage 19 is not shortened or cancelled, which is a big if, then at least we have that. Just looking at it, by far the best stage this year.

Fell asleep during the last hour, but can see that I didnt miss much. Really looked forward to Croix de Couer, but its obviously not gonna matter in under these circumstances. Nice climb, but its just a bunch of meh.
The original design of today's stage would work really well as a stage 19. Like 2016 Risoul or 2018 Jafferru.

@HansenAdam

I will speak out and defend the riders for the dry roads. First, we were told stage 10 we could not negotiate just before the start when the weather is most accurate. 20 guys went home in a 24-hour period. We were told we can not negotiate days in advance because the weather can change. So we did it the day before, and the prediction was much worse. We did it then because we had no alternative. We also agreed to stick to it.
Except he didn't 'stick to it', because the vote was apparently to cancel Croix de Coeur, not San Bernardo.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
I can't be happy about any stage Rubio is winning as he is for me one of the most unlikeable riders in the peleton. Always playing the others in breakaway stages n ever committing to anything. You could say he is clever as Pinot is unclever in this scenarios but honestly he didn't deserve the stage win in my eyes. Heartbroken for Thibaud who also could go for a Top 6-7 placing in the end and the maglia azzura which would be a nice ending to his Giro story.

Short stage no one really interested in the favourite group. I don't understand why Jumbo didn't test Thomas they had the numbers and Kuss seems to be clearly the best domestique left. No we have a few days until the next big test and fortunes could change. It seems like a missed chance. Also to distance a few more riders. The Top 15 are all relatively close and allthough no team has real numbers in the fight for the win you can't really let any move go with one of those riders.

the Giro is unfortunately really not delivering at all this year even last year there was more action. Kämna and Dunbar looked strong there in the end. would have been interesting if they could have followed if the climb was harder,

I guess they all have reasons not to attack. Thomas relies on his time trialing, Roglic is likely hurt, Almeida can only ride a steady tempo, people like Kämna assume they are the weakest climbers of the top guys.
All in all, maybe it would be best to not broadcast such a race until the last stage since few riders are interested in doing anything a viewer might want to watch and the organizers don't pressure them into doing something either.

Reactions: Hihope