• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Longarone – Tre Cime di Lavaredo 183 km (Friday, May 26th)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On another note: I can't actually remember Thomas doing a MTT. He must have at some point I assume, I just can't remember it. He should be pretty good at it I reckon, but does anybody know about his previous results in a similar stage?
In 2018 Tour de Romandie he was very bad, but he wasn't in comparable shape. Although he won the Tour later that year...

Reactions: Gratemans
A major mountain stage without major climbers.

The first official climb is short, but it really starts much earlier, with a long, gradual ascent. Valparola will build up the fatigue. The Giao is the toughest and highest climb of this Giro, and a spectacular view. After that everyone will be tired and significant gaps will occur, everything split up into small groups.

On a bad day one can easily lose ten minutes here, although I don't expect anyone from the top 3 to collapse. Thomas never does anything spectacular, but he's the only one who hasn't had an off day so far. This Giro will be won by the last man standing.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
After what we saw the past couple of days it seems more likely that Roglic will get countered by Thomas today. Roglic was good yesterday but Thomas looked very comfortable following, as he has from the start of the Giro. He hasn't shown any weakness at any point the past weeks, it would be a total turnaround for him to suddenly get dropped by Roglic. Weirder things have happened but I'm not seeing it.

If Roglic or Almeida feel good, they need to try to dislodge Thomas. Otherwise I think Geraint will take it on the TT.

Has Thomas ever cracked? In all these year he was either bad from the start, or crashed out. But when he was good he continues to be good.
TdF 2015, in his "early" days, he was 4th three days before Paris. However:
1. He was working as a top domestique for Froome.
2. He had a nasty crash a couple of days before. He was good for two days after the crash before finally cracking.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
After what we saw the past couple of days it seems more likely that Roglic will get countered by Thomas today. Roglic was good yesterday but Thomas looked very comfortable following, as he has from the start of the Giro. He hasn't shown any weakness at any point the past weeks, it would be a total turnaround for him to suddenly get dropped by Roglic. Weirder things have happened but I'm not seeing it.
He has 2 times:
1. Shipped a lot of time in the hilly sector of first-day TT
2. Would have stayed dropped at stage 8 if not for Tao.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
G will ride the De Plus Arensman train to 3-6 k from finish. Then either the Vine or Kuss train will take over upto 1 k and then sprint to the finish. If any of Roglic or Almeida falter, Kuss/Vine train will limit losses to within 30 s. The problem for this race is that the domestiques are as good as the leaders so it is impossible for the other leaders to attack and get a bigger gap.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Thomas was cracking all over the Pyrenees in 2019.

Its also a style thing, he doesnt really look much worse when getting dropped, when Pogacar would attack Vingegaard all you'd see from Thomas is him getting smaller in the distance.

I think that calls for a bump of this wonder.

View: https://twitter.com/NairoInGreen/status/1548617289859305472?t=YnW2gCHO5jF6NgKs_DM8iQ&s=19&fbclid=IwAR33SG165hCo42U4Og8vS1uITlbFXVijsDe2TSfiLo23vjx0YNUlCeuX-dQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts