• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Venosa – Lago Laceno 175 km (Tuesday, May 9th)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's the French word for motorcyclist that has also been adopted in the Dutch-speaking cycling world.
Motard/motarde is the rider/driver. Moto is motorcycle. So when we say “ why are there so many dam motos” I think that is the better usage. Unless you’re referring to a specific driver—like the guy who pulled off on the wrong side of the road in De Ronde and Alaphilippe crashed into.

Reactions: jmdirt
Motard/motarde is the rider/driver. Moto is motorcycle. So when we say “ why are there so many dam motos” I think that is the better usage. Unless you’re referring to a specific driver—like the guy who pulled off on the wrong side of the road in De Ronde and Alaphilippe crashed into.
Still even just thinking of that crash I hear Ala screaming in my head. It was the first one day race I ever watched apart from worlds. But that scream still linger.

I thought, cool, Laceno on Tuesday will certainly deliver - early first MTF…

Then I took the time to watch the finale, and it sadly didn’t deliver at all. No race action besides APP vs Leknessund.

Remco‘s GC opponents today forgot that it is them who have to gain time on Remco, bc Remco is in front of them. But if they don‘t attack on the MTFs, where else?

Everyone now talking about the brutal final week. After today, I could imagine that in the final week, we‘ll daily see such a result:

1. Remco 6:00:00hrs
2. Rog, TGH, Almeida, all GC guys +1s

Sad, but that‘s new reality, obviously…

I thought, cool, Laceno on Tuesday will certainly deliver - early first MTF…

Then I took the time to watch the finale, and it sadly didn’t deliver at all. No race action besides APP vs Leknessund.

Remco‘s GC opponents today forgot that it is them who have to gain time on Remco, bc Remco is in front of them. But if they don‘t attack on the MTFs, where else?

Everyone now talking about the brutal final week. After today, I could imagine that in the final week, we‘ll daily see such a result:

1. Remco 6:00:00hrs
2. Rog, TGH, Almeida, all GC guys +1s

Sad, but that‘s new reality, obviously…
I'll eat my shoe if 2 stages finish in exactly 6h this Giro.

So I say this every once in a while and it almost never happens. But it did happen with Carapaz not so long ago so I'm not losing hope.. EF, UAE, Bahrain or Ineos should really start to play games with Quickstep. There is no way those domestiques can handle the likes of Vine and Buitrago or Arensman going all out on the first climb. DSM and AG2R aren't going to be much help in the case of a real raid either. No need to wait until the high mountains. 20 minutes of De Plus giving a go and then just send out Arensman or Sivakov from Valco de Chiuzi and see if Remco goes after him.

This is going to happen on San Bernardo already with either Pinot and/or Buitrago or at least Fortunato being able to go into the breakaway. Then, Ineos, Jumbo & Co will gamble and do no work at all. So Remco is isolated towards Crans Montana so they can attack him and the break succeeds bringing one additional contender back into contention and into the mountains jersey.

From then on, they are going to attack Remco left and right everywhere. At least on Giau. He can't mark Tao and Roglic and either Pinot/Buitrago. One attack sticks eventually and then everything can happen or nothing like with Savoldelli 2005. While Almeida just cautiously follows wheels onto the podium or more.

But you need to create the situation first. By letting a dangerous contender come back into striking distance. It's a gamble. The thing is if Quick Step keeps being that bad the gamble is going to pay off for one.

Of course if, theoretically Buitrago walks away with the Giro d'Italia victory Rujano was denied in 2005, it's a major face-palm for Ineos & Jumbo. But what else can they do than to take that gamble and hope they gonna be the profiteurs if Remco blows up because of it!?

The question is. Who gaps Remco on the Giau pass and who's in front as a Relais-station? If it's Tao and he's got Arensman + either De Plus or Sivakov in front. Done deal as Roglic won't work with Remco. If it's Roglic with Oomen and Kuss or at least Bouwman. Looks fine too. If it's Buitrago with only Sütterlin & Zamabanini in front I'm not convinced with Lussari the next day. But Haig could be out by that time and told to sit up towards Zoldo Alto.

IMHO it's nearly impossible this doesn't play out. We've seen too many Giro d'Italia editions just like that.

Remco still can defend and win of course. But there certainly was racing and he certainly deserves his overall win by taking the responsibility of a big champion!

Last edited:
This is going to happen on San Bernardino already with either Pinot and/or Buitrago or at least Fortunato being able to go into the breakaway. Then, Ineos, Jumbo & Co will gamble and do no work at all. So Remco is isolated towards Crans Montana so they can attack him and the break succeeds bringing one additional contender back into contention and into the mountains jersey.

From then on, they are going to attack Remco left and right everywhere. At least on Giau. He can't mark Tao and Roglic and either Pinot/Buitrago. One attack sticks eventually and then everything can happen or nothing like with Savoldelli 2005. While Almeida just cautiously follows wheels onto the podium or more.

But you need to create the situation first. By letting a dangerous contender come back into striking distance. It's a gamble. The thing is if Quick Step keeps being that bad the gamble is going to pay off for one.

Of course if, theoretically Buitrago walks away with the Giro d'Italia victory Rujano was denied in 2005, it's a major face-palm for Ineos & Jumbo. But what else can they do than to take that gamble and hope they gonna be the profiteurs if Remco blows up because of it!?

The question is. Who gaps Remco on the Giau pass and who's in front as a Relais-station? If it's Tao and he's got Arensman + either De Plus or Sivakov in front. Done deal as Roglic won't work with Remco. If it's Roglic with Oomen and Kuss or at least Bouwman. Looks fine too. If it's Buitrago with only Sütterlin & Zamabanini in front I'm not convinced with Lussari the next day. But Haig could be out by that time and told to sit up towards Zoldo Alto.

IMHO it's nearly impossible this doesn't play out. We've seen too many Giro d'Italia editions just like that.

Remco still can defend and win of course. But there certainly was racing and he certainly deserves his overall win by taking the responsibility of a big champion!

The risk is Remco just starts riding such a hard Tempo on Giau that most are ridden off his wheel. Those who stay cannot attack his pace

TRENDING THREADS