• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 7: Capua - Gran Sasso d'Italia (Campo Imperatore), 218 km (Friday, May 12)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglič quick interview about the torn bibs yesterday: He had to make a save when riding downhill so he almost "sat on the back tyre" and torn bibs in process.
And about todays stage: "You have to get to the top as quickly as possible eh?" Classic R.

Fv3zSwJX0AACgHA

Regarding your opening sentence, I never said he did that.

It's just... yes, maybe his words were taken out of context but why don't we ever hear these sort of statements from other riders? I never hear Pogacar, Thomas, Roglic, Vingegaard or whomever say their opponent "looks nervous". Why can't he just say "I'm feeling fine and in great shape to beat anybody". I seriously wouldn't mind that. But to point out a single competitor and say he looks nervous..
Let's just say he doesn't score stylepoints in my book with that.
We're lucky your book doesn't decide the winner.

Imagine if Evenepoel's rivals gave straight answers as well. Considering how defensive some of Remco's fans are on social media & forums, I can't imagine what the reactions would be.

I'm sorry but euhm.. Remco saying Roglic gives a nervous impression and this whole forum and twitter explodes about roglic fans screaming it isn't so. he shouldn't say things like that, etc etc. Doubt Remco fans will do worse on a NON statement. (remco is being called baby all over the place for gesturing, and I have barely seen people complaining about it).

I also don't like generic answers but i mostly blame team bosses who probably instruct riders not to say anything. And many riders don't like attention and press so they try to get away quickly. Roglič actually says a lot, but mostly in Slovenian where he feels more comfortable. But yes, mostly about himself, since he's his nr. 1 enemy (crash after crash). Remco is a diva and it shows. He's also young and very cocky. We need people like that to make it interesting. It feels so much better when riders like that get beaten.

What we don't need, is hundreds of words from his lovers every time he makes a step how that step was all good. He could take a d*** in the middle of the street and Logic would be leading the lovers army how this was the best tactical move ever. Grow up.
Were you one of the guys who wanted Wright not to sprint because he wouldn't have won so he should have made way for your majesty Roglic?

pot, meet kettle :beercheers:

Last edited:
Campo Imperatore is one of my favorite mountain places on Earth, absolutely stunning scenery when the sun's shining.
The climb obviously isn't the hardest and the long plateau discourages early attacks but you're having a bad you can lose a lot of time nonetheless (remember Froome in 2018).
Ineos has the depth to push the pace and check if every other contender is all right. And TGH could be the one to challenge Remco and Roglic to the line.

Campo Imperatore is one of my favorite mountain places on Earth, absolutely stunning scenery when the sun's shining.
The climb obviously isn't the hardest and the long plateau discourages early attacks but you're having a bad you can lose a lot of time nonetheless (remember Froome in 2018).
Ineos has the depth to push the pace and check if every other contender is all right. And TGH could be the one to challenge Remco and Roglic to the line.

Lets hope they do!

I'll never understand the why the term wheelsucking is bantied about like it is. A wheelsucker is someone who never has enough to attack. That can't be said of Roglič or Evenepoel, both great riders who use their talents to attack and win. Leipheimer was a wheelsucker.

If I'm leading a race (any race) and I'm alone in front with my closest competitor, AND I'm the best in time trials, why on earth would I rotate? I mean, I can see it if I'm 5 mins ahead with one stage to go, and I like the guy and want to help pull him onto the podium or some rare scenario like that. Otherwise, the decision is either drop them or follow them. Drop them only makes sense if you're feeling great and you know the other rider is laboring. Follow them is the right call in 95% of the scenarios. Losing 4 seconds in a sprint finish is nothing compared to the TT and potential mountain stage time losses. It also discourages them from attacking or upping the pace, all which help me save energy in a long stage race.

So I say he follows wheels unless he feels like it's another easy chance to take a chunk of time.
I don't like the term in general. And I'm a world class wheelsucker on group rides!

All these guys are pros and know their own strengths and motivations. It's not wheelsucking, it's playing a tactical game. Sure, it looks crap, but why would you drag a stronger finisher to the last 500 meters, where they'll blow your doors off and celebrate while you pound the bars in frustration? Make them work, tire them out so you have a better chance.

Edit: Tactics are what makes cycling so interesting to me.