• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

27 march E3 prijs Harelbeke

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
TMP402 said:
MatParker117 said:
G now the favourite for the RvV?

He's at the top table now, but probably still equal with Vanmarcke, Stybar, Sagan and GVA (if he isn't hurt from today).

I'd add Terpstra to that. He was quiet today, but only because he didn't really get to play his hand with Stybar at the front. I could see him possibly winning solo from a small group, similarly to how Thomas did today.

Can't see Sagan winning - he just doesn't seem to have the necessary power after a long hard, race these days.

I agree with that, but having come 5th in 2012 and 2nd in 2013, and then 6th in P-R 2014, he still deserves respect and, frankly look at the top 10s of RVV and PR in the last three years, there are only a handful of riders left who you can imagine winning - basically Terpstra as you say, Langeveld (who is probably injured as he abandoned today), and then Degekolb and Kristoff - and in a battle royale between Thomas, Vanmarcke and Stybar (and maybe GVA), I don't see Kristoff and Degenkolb managing to hang on to them.

Re:

Akuryo said:
Yep, pretty much this. Pains me as a fan of the Belgian squad to say this, but Thomas was just too strong today. But then again, at least this time it wasn't because of failed team tactics.
This is exactly a QS fan is thinking now. A 2nd place was a great result after all, and it was actually Stybar 1st year to be a co-leader, not counting 13' PR :cool:

By the way, to Patrick Laverne, it was no one fault today, don't blame anyone lol

Cance > TheRest said:
hfer07 said:
Big Congrats to "G". Longing for that elusive big victory. Very well deserved for him. He's truly the only SKY rider that I like a lot. :)

Great ride for Stybar

Sagan once again showing he's not good enough to pull the winning performance on the big races.
He won the race last year. What's your point?

Obviously he pulled too much today and that eventually cost him a cramp in the legs. Good ride from him.

yes he did - but lost on both P-R & RVV, so I stand correct- the BIG races are elusive to him. I thought It was Cannondale's lack of support that prevented him from winning, but I don't quite see the difference with Tinkoff either

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I had been thinking that it would be tough for Thomas to get away because the order in the rotation was Thomas, Stybar, Sagan, and Stybar would be on him like a terrier when he made his move. But Thomas chose a really good moment, attacking out of order just when Stybar had finished his rotation and was just stuck in behind Sagan. Sagan wouldn't or couldn't chase, and caused a 5 second delay.

I think Sagan's problems stem from lack of direction at Cannondale last year. But of course he couldn't be directed because he was the new enfant terrible of the peloton. He had his early success just before he reached full physical maturity, when he had a high strength-to-weight ratio like a young gymnast and was a natural sprinter. Then he did a bunch of macho weight lifting that appeared to be an outgrowth of his state of maturity around the time of his bottom-pinching incident, and seemed muscle bound and heavier last season. It seemed to interfere with his transition to physical maturity.

TMP402 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Did Vanmarcke climb the Kwaremont and Paterberg with a broken pedal cleat? In that case, he must be pretty damn strong for De Ronde

Yeah, looks like the strongest rider this classics season so far... and then something goes wrong
Yeah Vanmarcke can't win.

Either something bad will happen (fall/mechanical). Or he'll be strong but without a team, and even if he is in front then he'll make the wrong decisions...

TMP402 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Did Vanmarcke climb the Kwaremont and Paterberg with a broken pedal cleat? In that case, he must be pretty damn strong for De Ronde

Yeah, looks like the strongest rider this classics season so far... and then something goes wrong
Well the way he enterd Paterberg looked incredibly stupid. Now that Fabian is out, I also suspect he's the strongest rider left. I hope he can get something out of his power for once this season.

SuperG:

xf88i9.jpg

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Nice win by G.

That being said, anyone else had the same feeling that the camera motorbike in front of G was just too close and he was obviously taking advantage of that? Not saying that he would not have won, but sometimes there is just too many motorbikes around for my taste.

Jeez why the obsession with Sagan not winning every race!! He's a great, entertaining and skillful rider - road racing is very lucky to have him. OK so he's not quite as good as he once looked like he was gonna be but he's still a top rider and usually at the business end of every race. Some of u guys seem to expect him to win every race he enters and endlessly analyse tiny moments when he did something wrong that supposedly 'cost him the race'!! Maybe he's just not the Superman that many want him to be, but he's still a really good rider so just appreciate him for what he is.

Re:

willbick said:
Jeez why the obsession with Sagan not winning every race!! He's a great, entertaining and skillful rider - road racing is very lucky to have him. OK so he's not quite as good as he once looked like he was gonna be but he's still a top rider and usually at the business end of every race. Some of u guys seem to expect him to win every race he enters and endlessly analyse tiny moments when he did something wrong that supposedly 'cost him the race'!! Maybe he's just not the Superman that many want him to be, but he's still a really good rider so just appreciate him for what he is.

I don't think many people expect him to win tough races any more - which is the disappointment. He's not strong enough to beat guys like Canc, Kwiatk, Stybar in a long, hard breakaway, and he's not fast enough to beat the likes of Degenkolb and Kristoff in a reduced sprint.

It's disappointing because a couple of years ago he was animating races as he still is now, but was also winning them or at least challenging right until the line. This season he's been consistently found wanting in the final kilometres of the biggest races (or even earlier at SB).

Nice win by Thomas. He doesn't win that much, but this is a much deserved win by him. Always on attack so I really liked seeing him win.
During the race I said Sagan or Stybar will win if they stay away, but he proved me wrong :)

Thomas did a lot of work as well, if not most imo.

Poor race by the chasers with the exception of BMC who actually tried to close the gap. Kristoff had 2 teammates who didn't do a thing until it was too late. Same for Degenkolbs teammate. Then you have 6-7 riders tsking turns which greatly reduces the chances of the leading trio while the sprinters/favourites can sit on wheels. We see this a lot lately, but tbh i'm glad it happened as I prefer to see attackers winning.

Oh and poor Sagan.

DFA123 said:
willbick said:

I don't think many people expect him to win tough races any more - which is the disappointment. He's not strong enough to beat guys like Canc, Kwiatk, Stybar in a long, hard breakaway, and he's not fast enough to beat the likes of Degenkolb and Kristoff in a reduced sprint.

It's disappointing because a couple of years ago he was animating races as he still is now, but was also winning them or at least challenging right until the line. This season he's been consistently found wanting in the final kilometres of the biggest races (or even earlier at SB).

His career has been a downward trajectory since his 2nd green jersey, for whatever reason. He has been winning less each season since 2012, though amongst that he did bag his biggest win, at E3, in 2014. However, that day he brought a bunch of non-sprinters to the line.

Bushman said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
good move that sky dumped hagen, immediately 10x stronger in the classics

An 18th place is really an incredible result, indeed.

Imo he hasn't shown more then at Sky last year as well, but it needs to mentioned that he punctured twice and had to come back to the front twice as well. So he was doing huge efforts when most weren't.

Maybe he could've contended if those flats didn't happen... we will never know.

TRENDING THREADS