• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

80ª Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (1 a 12 de Agosto de 2018)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Just discuss the race in here. Most of the hype for the Volta comes from it going full nuclear every year, and most of the posts that hype it are not too subtle about doping insiniuations.

I discussed this with other mods and they agreed we move this thread to the Clinic if the doping references in this thread got too much.
what are those doping references? the anti-doping agencies doing their work? 'm glad they are. is there any acusation yet?

how many samples were take in Tour the France? were any thread moved to the clinic?

stop the hate and be a serious mod

Re: 80ª Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (1 a 12 de Agosto de 2

Alarcón vs Brandão :D

Only two Porto riders in that chase group as well, with two from Louletano, Feirense, Sporting before Alarcón attacked. Never saw so few Porto guys up there in the last couple of years

Re: 80ª Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (1 a 12 de Agosto de 2

luckyboy said:
Alarcón vs Brandão :D

Only two Porto riders in that chase group as well, with two from Louletano, Feirense, Sporting before Brandão attacked. Never saw so few Porto guys up there in the last couple of years

Well, Veloso is very weak because he's 45 or something and Mestre is clearly a step below last year.

Re:

hrotha said:
Just so you know: this is an appallingly stupid decision.

It really isn’t. We did debate whether or not to just move it here when the thread opened but we decided to give it a chance.

It quickly turned clinic related yesterday, no surprise really, so it’s better off in here. (Yes posts about doping control finally taking place in this race still belong in the clinic)

Everyone can discuss the race and the thermonuclear events without getting into trouble.

Nice peak again by Alarcon for this race - its a bit of a shame he couldnt get a WT contract this season. On merit he probably deserves a spot on the Spain WC team, given his form since joining W52 - but I guess politics and the usual favoritism will prevent it.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
hrotha said:

It really isn’t. We did debate whether or not to just move it here when the thread opened but we decided to give it a chance.

It quickly turned clinic related yesterday, no surprise really, so it’s better off in here. (Yes posts about doping control finally taking place in this race still belong in the clinic)

Everyone can discuss the race and the thermonuclear events without getting into trouble.
It is stupid, and if other mods agreed that only makes it worse. It is disrespectful, it introduces an absurd double standard, it forces people to breach your own rules and recommendations about not posting normal racing stuff in the Clinic, it is amateurish. And to top it off, it is frickin' lazy on the part of the mods.

I wouldn't call it disrespectful by any means, as whoever watches and cares about Volta pretty much knows what is going on. But, as far as I know, the main reason that the clinic and RR forum is separated is to avoid clinic related fights in race threads. However, I am pretty sure that nobody will start a fight in a Volta thread as everybody knows what's going on, and just enjoys the show.

One thing that I strongly disagree is, a large group of people also thinks pretty much everyone in TDF or in any WT race is doped to the gills, and the threads are usually filled with subtle clinic posts whenever an outstanding move happens. Then, why not move these threads to the clinic?

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
hrotha said:

A fair logical reasoning in isolation.
However, it's inconsistent with previous moderator behavior.

Any race Froome enters has at least this much share of doping comments and not so subtle allusions. Usually a lot more than this, even. The comments are removed, the allusions are sometimes removed, but mostly not. But the thread is always left in the PRR forum. Dauphine, Tour de France, etc. They're never moved to the clinic

What's different this time?
Simple. There's only one difference.

This race isn't as important so it won't look as bad for the website's image. You're managing appearances.
So, in the end it's about politics. And that's why people dislike what you've done.

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

burning said:
I wouldn't call it disrespectful by any means, as whoever watches and cares about Volta pretty much knows what is going on.
Well, except for 90% of the local population who couldn't care less about doping or cycling beyond the Volta.

I don't agree with this, but truth be told, it's very fitting the Volta thread ends up in a unique, terrible, yet hilarious position thanks to its reputation. Just like the real deal.

At least with Brandão able to start and Antunes not in W52's colours anymore, there's a greater level of challenge for Alarcón than when all he had to worry about was staying stronger than his teammates. He can't ride along hand in hand with Joni because Joni needs to break him. Fairly positive to see some of the guys with less alarm bells or history around them doing well though - Figueiredo, Errazkin - and Pinto I've always liked. I do agree with burning though that the Clinic implications and suggestions are mainly to be kept out of PRR threads to prevent flame wars going on, which I've never seen in any Volta a Portugal thread because accepting there will be some nudges and winks in that directio is part of the price of admission to the Volta a Portugal show. As has been discussed before, the Volta is like entering a parallel universe of cycling in the 90s, with wild west tactics and crazy wattage, and the Volta is the Tour de France of that universe. The characters that inhabit this universe don't really cross over in to the rest of the PRR forum universe; nobody is likely to be getting angry about there being Clinic talk in a Volta a Portugal thread. I appreciate that it may be difficult sometimes to manage on the basis that things that would ordinarily necessitate deletion, moving or poster sanction in other race threads should not be treated differently in the Volta thread, but simultaneously moving the thread to the Clinic is a dangerous precedent even if quite amusing as a gimmick for the race - and it's annoying to have to go look elsewhere to where every single other race thread is to find this one.

Since there is little way to separate clinic issues from the from the Volta may I suggest that we never say the word doping and instead use metaphors and code words. Kind of like the Seinfeld episode The Contest.

Its there, its unspoken, its punished if spoken of, and most in the Volta are doing it.

And he's gone thermonuclear.

TRENDING THREADS